Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: I'M GETTING SO OLD! (Not really, but it feels like it)  (Read 17459 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: I'M GETTING SO OLD! (Not really, but it feels like it)
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2012, 10:53:57 pm »

I remember when my dad said to my cousin "You're 19 now, want a beer?" My mind was so full of fuck because I've always thought our ages were really close together (2 years) and I mindscrewed myself so hard.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2012, 11:19:16 pm »

I turn 20 in 2 week. that's what's makin' me feel old.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 11:32:47 pm »

23 hours and 30 minutes until I'm 19.

I don't feel old agewise since all my real life friends are a year or two older than me, but I do feel ancient forumwise. Me and this girl bonded over both being 18 a couple hours ago.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2012, 12:02:49 am »

Pre-emptive happy birthday, Penguin!
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2012, 01:45:12 am »

I'm going to be 20 the 7th. Two decades... shit where did all that time go?

The first time I saw the xkcd comic I told everyone around me how long ago finding Nemo came out and the feeling old spread like a wave.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2012, 06:23:45 am »

I feel the exact opposite. I wish I could just go back to school and stay there forever, without this "real world" bullshit getting in the way.
I don't function well without orders.

Be All You Can Be. Or get a bossy girlfriend :P
Being conscripted was cool, even if discipline was lacking a bit at times. All was clear and life had a purpose, namely LARPing in the woods. It was fun.

I must say I really prefer this 'adult' thing over being a teen at home. It's this freedom of being I didn't feel when I was living with my parents. Even if I do mostly the same things, do the dishes, clean my room, etc.

Hmm... I wonder how many people here remember the mass use of VHS, surely it's not that old?

EDIT:
Or a dial-up. Those things were insanely cool. How far have we become that I now see people raging over having to wait for several seconds for a page to load.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:34:51 am by Delta Foxtrot »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2012, 06:30:59 am »

I just had this really weird realization: that not everybody here is years older than me anymore. On one thread (can't remember which, but it was from a long time ago), some thing about ages got brought up somehow, and someone was 17. I joined the B12 forums two years ago, which would mean I was fourteen, which means that now, two years later, I'm no longer in the youngest tier of people here, and am only a year younger than a person a year older than me!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As someone who is used to being one of the young whippersnappers on the forum, it's a strange feeling. Now I'm curious; has anyone else had that sort of 'whoa' moment here?

Now that I've typed this post out, it strikes me as a really random thread. Alas.

getting late on the fray, but I was routinely the younger of my team at work, as I was quite qualified and always got jobs where the other people were older than me.... until last year   :-\
same whoa moment (I realized it after six month or so into the project)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 10:22:50 am »

As I was going to bed after celebrating my last birthday (24) I was just chilling out for a bit and listening to hiphop, as I an wont to do after a night out. I played Coolio's Gansta's Paradise and when it got to the end I felt old. The angst no longer applied to me, I had lived to see 24.

On a related note, here's a story about a friend of mine. First, some background: She's a Muslim who's family were originally form Somalia. At the time this took place, she still wore a headscarf and dressed relatively modestly. If any of you don't now any Muslims and are struggling for a reference point, just imagine a girl form a fairly religious christian family and you'll do fine. Anyway, one day in the summer of our first year, all my friends had meet up at one of our houses to play boardgames (Risk: Mythology and Diplomacy, the supper happy friend betraying game, encase you are wondering). When she arrived, she called me over to one side and said that something terrible had happened on her journey. When she was on the tube, a man sat down next to here and started to touch her thigh. I immediately began to say "how terrible" etc and she shushed me. That wasn't why she was upset. She had been getting ready to shout "Stop touching me, you fucking Pedophile!" when she realized that in fact she was to old to be the victim of a pedophile; he was just a regular pervert. And that's what had upset her.         
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2012, 11:54:13 am »

I have a week left of being a teenager. In seven days time, I'll have to be mature and responsible.

Also, there are a hell of a lot of people entering university this year who have never used dial up or a floppy disk.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2012, 12:01:24 pm »

I have a week left of being a teenager. In seven days time, I'll have to be mature and responsible.

Also, there are a hell of a lot of people entering university this year who have never used dial up or a floppy disk.

Others will have intentionally surpressed all memory of such things. 

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2012, 12:07:02 pm »

I am thirty. I teach students who have no idea what a tape or video cassette is.
This is a blank sig.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2012, 12:28:36 pm »

im 13 :l i know what all those are lol... i feel old to :( and im probably the youngest here.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2012, 12:31:23 pm »

I picked up a couple VHS players a few years back, just so I'd have backups for when mine failed. The tapes will probably die before it does, though. I'm not actually old enough to remember when 8-track was a viable format, but I have heard horror stories.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2012, 01:03:31 pm »

Yeah, I joined the forums when I was 12. I'm now 16.

Anyway, I've had that a lot lately. I'm moving from home to study next Fall, so yeah.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2012, 01:33:19 pm »

I picked up a couple VHS players a few years back, just so I'd have backups for when mine failed. The tapes will probably die before it does, though. I'm not actually old enough to remember when 8-track was a viable format, but I have heard horror stories.

8 track was no worse than laserdiscs...
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7