Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stormtrooper Armour discussion  (Read 3967 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stormtrooper Armour discussion
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:48:27 pm »

(Oh, I don't know if this is the right place for this)

Right, i've managed to get myself a copy of some replica stormtrooper armour (brought, I lack the skill to put it together myself). However, I have a few questions about it for anyone who possibly knows more about it then I do.

First off, can people actually sit down in these things? The most I can imagine doing is laying back at a massively slanted angle, the knees don't seem to bend enough to give me a sitting position and the front plate goes halfway up my chest, making it next to impossible to sit.

Secondly, has anyone got any tips to help me get the thigh pieces to stay up and not slip down. If they don't slip down i'm fine but I can't seem to get them tight enough to fit and stay in place.

And for the final question, how the hell does anyone see in these helmets. Its like tunnel vision from hell, don't get me wrong, i'm enjoying the hell out of owning this thing, but these small details are bothering me.

(Note, I am roughly just under 6ft tall and I weigh 14 stone which I think is about... 168 pounds, i'm not huge and i'm not small and the rest of it fits really well)

Any help would be appreciated. Also stories of other people who might have them. (I realise this is a longshot)
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Stormtrooper Armour discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:01:28 pm »

Exactly what kind of stormtrooper? A lot of organizations use the term.

As for the armor's mobility or lack thereof, it's probably not that well fitted if you aren't very mobile. If it's full-body plate-style armor, you typically have to get it custom-made for your body before you can be really comfortable moving around in it.
Nothing important here, move along.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:17:57 pm »

I've always thought Waffen SS uniforms were pretty cool looking too, but I'd probably never buy one unless I got into battle reenactments, which in and of itself is totally cool and is probably something I would look into Oh you're talking about starwars... Yeah, those stormtroopers also have pretty cool uniforms. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the Galactic Empire based off the Nazis a little?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:25:17 pm by Svarte Troner »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:01:30 pm »

And for the final question, how the hell does anyone see in these helmets. Its like tunnel vision from hell

Mystery of how the Emperor's elite troops can't hit the broad side of a barn, and manage to lose to 3-foot tall teddy bears: SOLVED.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 12:01:26 am »

Trying to remember. I don't think any stormtroopers ever actually sat down in the movies. Now we know why.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 12:21:39 am »

replica stormtrooper armour
(brought, I lack the skill to put it together myself)

The stock armor isn't designed for practical use. Plan to make some alterations if you want to wear the thing to parties.

First off, can people actually sit down in these things?

How to modify stormtrooper armor to allow you to sit, walk up stairs and run.

Secondly, has anyone got any tips to help me get the thigh pieces to stay up and not slip down.

Velcro.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 12:46:11 am »

Trying to remember. I don't think any stormtroopers ever actually sat down in the movies. Now we know why.
I think Han Solo sits down in the armour when they rescue princess Leia from prison, but he does so by putting his feet up. I really don't think the original armour was made with knee bending in mind.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 01:34:42 am »

I really don't think the original armour was made with knee bending in mind.

It's not the knee so much as the thighs and codpiece. They're made for visuals, not for actual use. Try this: stand up straight, then place a pencil on your thigh with the pointy end level with the top of your pants. Standing like that there's no danger of it poking you. Now try sitting down. As your thigh rotates up, it jabs the pencil into your abdomen.

That's basically the issue with stormtrooper armor, except the pencil is the hard plastic tube encasing your thighs, and instead of poking your stomache it's pushing up against the codpiece and lower portion of the torso armor.

Take a look at this:
http://ejpacific.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/dscf5812.jpg

And now compare it to this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/popculturegeek/7034248291

In the first suit the thighs are fully covered, leaving no room for those plates to rotate upwards. The second has been cut to give room.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 05:39:07 am »

replica stormtrooper armour
(brought, I lack the skill to put it together myself)

The stock armor isn't designed for practical use. Plan to make some alterations if you want to wear the thing to parties.

First off, can people actually sit down in these things?

How to modify stormtrooper armor to allow you to sit, walk up stairs and run.

Secondly, has anyone got any tips to help me get the thigh pieces to stay up and not slip down.

Velcro.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks everyone.

And for the final question, how the hell does anyone see in these helmets. Its like tunnel vision from hell

Mystery of how the Emperor's elite troops can't hit the broad side of a barn, and manage to lose to 3-foot tall teddy bears: SOLVED.

Funnily enough, that's what everybody else who's worn my helmet has said.

my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.