Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get food and drink?  (Read 1989 times)

xmorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I get food and drink?
« on: May 03, 2012, 03:37:39 pm »

Is there any other creative ways to resupply basic necessities other than find a shopkeeper?  I have licked every bloodstain, iceikle and dusting of snow on my rope reed fiber shirt, pike, and socks.  Ive eaten the snow, the ice in the well and my prepared porcupine brain.  It still says i'm hungry and thirsty. 

I cant seem to butcher the dingos and wolves i clashed with.

Also what does the colors mean in the Hungry/thirsty?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get food and drink?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 04:12:37 pm »

1)Pick up a rock, then pick up another rock.
2)Remove the rocks from your backpack and make sure they are in your hands.
3)Select the "make sharp rock" command.
4)Continue to hold the sharp rock in your hand, and drop the corpses you want to butcher on the ground.
5)Stand over the corpse.
6)The "butcher" option should now work correctly.

The colors indicate exactly how thirsty/hungry you are. So you get one color for extremely thirsty and one for only slightly thirsty for example.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 04:24:35 pm »

You don't necessarily need to knapp anything since you will start with a skinning knife. But the skinning knife has to be either on the ground or in your hands; it can not be in a container.

Unless you're an outsider, you will also start with a waterskin which you can refill (they hold 3 units of liquid) by using shift-I and selecting the waterskin while near a source of water (or any liquid, really).

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 07:48:59 pm »

Through mysterious physics you can dump out the last unit of water from your waterskin and press 'I' then select the waterskin and it will get 3 units of water.  Its a miracle of dwarven science.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:25:06 pm »

Also, containers other than waterskins can hold water, although carrying a lot of water around can get heavy pretty quickly.  My favorite is a quiver, which holds up to 20 units of water, and then I fill it half full by using a well in one of the cities (well buckets will provide 10 water once you finish interacting with it to lower the bucket and raise it again).  This provides a decent surplus of water without being unbearably heavy.  Organ meat from city shops or butchered animals is half as heavy as the generic "meat", although I tend to like buying it from shops so I can get a big single stack to prevent inventory clutter. 

Or you could become a vampire, and then all you have to do is find animals that are small enough to strangle into unconsciousness. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:16:54 pm »

You must have a bladed implement in your hand or on the same tile as a corpse to butcher it. That's why even mace and hammer users start with copper daggers. In order to fill your waterskin/flask/mug, you must press shift+i while next to or on top of a fluid source. You cannot drink salt water or stagnant water. You can also not eat snow, ice, or indeed anything that is not meat or vegetable. Vermin don't count as meat. Some small animals have corpses too small to butcher. You cannot butcher anything that is even loosely humanoid, including ettins and four-legged night creatures. The different colors indicate how hungry or thirsty you are. In general, the more yellow or red a warning, the more crucial it is to deal with it. The exception being red thirsty text, which means you are a vampire and must feed on an unconscious creature. If you like, you can also find multi-roomed houses. These usually have bags that contain some form of vegetable of fruit that you can eat, and nobody will mind if you take from them. Good luck, and have !!FUN!!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 09:36:13 pm »

You can melt ice/snow by building a campfire ('g' then whichever letter lets you build a campfire) and then interacting with either the snow/waterskin ('I' then letter of item to be melted) to produce liquid water to drink.

To draw out a dagger to butcher with, hit 'r' to bring up the menu and then the letter of the dagger. If you have a bladed weapon or even one with a sharp point (a bolt or arrow will work), then you can dispense with that step. Move to the site of the animal you want to butcher and hit 'x' to bring up the selection screen and select the butcher option. Keep in mind that animal has to be above a certain size to butcher; you can't butcher a kea or even a duck for instance. Your best bet is something along the size of a yak or horse as they give fairly nice amounts of food that aren't so large that your character is adversely affected by the weight.

Of course, you have to be really careful hunting those animals as their kicks are lethal.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:50:27 am »

You can't drink salt or stagnant water directly, but you can walk into salt/stagnant water, and then lick your own eyeballs or something for a full drink's worth of water.

Also, you can drink blood.  If you sever a small body part off, like a toe, you can pick it up and throw it to create a trail of blood.  You can pick up and throw and store a severed toe indefinitely.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 01:56:48 pm »

Apparently the infinite pool bug still exists, so you only need to carry around one water container. When it gets down to one sip, pour it on the ground, drink from it infinitely, then refill your waterskin to full. Now to find a giant's lair for infinite booze puddles.