Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't find a troll... help?  (Read 1874 times)

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't find a troll... help?
« on: May 03, 2012, 07:15:19 am »

I'm still pretty new to this game.  A lord asked me to visit the capital city and slay a troll there.  He said to "look first in the sewers," which, to me, implies that the thing moves around. 

I was scouring the city for over an hour, and all I found were two sewer entrances.  Neither had the troll in them.  I also went to the exact spot that "TSK" guides me and there was nothing there, either.  I assume it's because he's at that spot, but underground.  But I can't find sewer access anywhere near that spot.

Is there a practical way to find this thing?  Or is there a way I can get it to come to me?  Is there something obvious that I'm missing?
Re: Can't find a troll... help?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:49:14 am »

You're probably never going to find it if you have to go into the sewers.

They don't really move around, but the sewers can, and often do, connect to dungeons underneath city keeps, which the beast may have taken residence in.

In my current world, for example, there are a couple of MegaBeasts in a cave system SOMEWHERE accessed through the sewers under the city, but the only areas I have left to fully explore are through about 20-30 blocks of water tunnels, filled with water, so even with a legendary swimmer, you can't get across the passageway without drowning. I may use DFHack to build a fortress over the city just to pump out the sewer waters.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:57:26 am »

Would it be worth it, then, to visit the two keeps in this city and try to access the dungeon?  If I recall correctly, they're both "open structures" and have a really strange design.

Or are you pretty certain that this is just an undoable quest?

It's a shame because nobody in this entire civilization will give me anymore quests until I finish this job for this lord.

EDIT: sorry, I'm mistaken.  The two "keeps" I described are actually religious structures (an abbey and a monastery).  There is one keep in the middle of the city, inside a walled-off area.  My question remains the same, though.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:02:35 am by Hamsmagoo »
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 10:35:18 am »

In my experience, sewers are crap.

You may get lucky though and find who you're looking for if you can explore them without being trapped in a situation where you must swim an absurdly long route with no way to surface. Churches like what you found sometimes have entrances to them, as well, but you're probably better off exploring the dungeons under the actual keep (looks like a fort in the middle of a walled section of city), though because the Tombs, Sewers and Dungeons are connected.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 10:54:19 am »

That might be worth a try, then, since the quest site is not too far from the keep.  Then again, I look down into the sewer grates there and see nothing but water.  I'll try it out when I get home from work.  Thanks for the help.

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 07:58:38 pm »

Try finding lizard men or other aquatic critters in a city that has no rivers.  You will die trying to get to them with no way out.  (unless you add tags like [FLIER] and [AMPHIBIOUS] to your race in Entity_Default)
I play games of games inside games in my head.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 09:26:28 pm »

It's ok.  I was killed by a swordmaster underneath the keep.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 10:00:44 pm »

First, post a thread. Preferably in Roblox or 4chan.

Second, wait.........
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 11:15:33 pm »

I suggest becoming a vamp before tackling the sewers and dungeons. Killing wildvamps isn't that hard with decent companions.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 05:38:45 pm »

First, post a thread. Preferably in Roblox or 4chan.

Second, wait.........
or get sucked into an immersive simulation game that causes the real destruction of your home planet.  the ultimate goal of this game is to create a new universe and inter it as its god.

the catch is that the trolls you want to find must have had an unsuccessful session before your own.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time