Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Necromancer Madness!  (Read 2306 times)

jdaze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer Madness!
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:57:35 pm »

First off, this is my first time posting, I've been playing DF for about a month now, i'm obsessed haha! I love it, i'm still learning alot, I havn't found my first magma yet =(, also still figuring out the best way to get a steady animal production going.  Anywho...

So when I see cow hair rise up and attack my dwarves, does that mean a necromancer is there?  Also I kill those things but more things keep rising up to attack, every time this happens my fortress is basically screwed, and I can never find the necromancer himself....Do they keep re-rising up after I kill them?

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer Madness!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 12:04:19 am »

If there is a necromancer in the area he will continue to re-rise things that are killed(already dead?) within 15 tiles of himself, as long as he has a direct line of site.  This is of course assuming your not on an evil biome that is causing dead to rise.  The easiest way to stop the necromancer is to wall off your refuse pile and make the necromancer go over some traps/dwarfs/guard animals to get to the refuse pile.  Doing so should reveal the necromancer.

jdaze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:10:10 am »

Ahh ok so he's normally going to be hidden?  Because I was looking EVERYWHERE and I didn't see anything that seemed like a necro.  Also I'm pretty sure I'm not in an evil bio

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 12:13:21 am »

Yep Necro's enter your map hidden, much like an ambush.  When I make fortresses near a tower it's not unusual to have 3-4 necros try and get to my refuse pile in a given year.  Necro's can be pretty tough to find unless you can force them to path within a tile of a creature/dwarf.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 12:14:15 am »

Necros are stealth, like kobolds and snatchers. They appear when bumped into.

This is why forcing them to path through a crowded hallway will reveal them.

If they can get to the refuse pile without being observed, they will do the hokey pokey zombie shuffle right there without anybody looking, and the next thing you know, you have killer oystershells clacking about.

jdaze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:15:44 am »

Ok awesome thank you so much!  It's super frustrating haha, whenever I see this happening its basically game over for my fortress

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 12:23:11 am »

lot's of corners in a fort to break line of sight while the things are being killed or trapped by traps helps. At some point the necromancer will trigger a trap and die or get caged.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 02:17:08 pm »

Cage traps in choke points. Establish which rooms in your fort are clear with military sweeps, and flush the necro out, or kill it.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 02:36:53 pm »

Get your corpse pile safe underground, they need to be close to them
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 04:01:13 pm »

A chained dog at the end of the long entrance of traps, after the dog I have my military training. Somewhere deep inside the fort behind two sets of doors (to keep miasma out) I have my refuse piles. I also order my dwarves to carry goblin corpses down. This has ensured that the few necromancer Ive had has not really caused any trouble.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 05:21:09 pm »

A chained dog at the end of the long entrance of traps, after the dog I have my military training. Somewhere deep inside the fort behind two sets of doors (to keep miasma out) I have my refuse piles. I also order my dwarves to carry goblin corpses down. This has ensured that the few necromancer Ive had has not really caused any trouble.

you know there only 1 thing better than killing goblins and elves right?

KILLING THEM AGAIN

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 02:20:35 am »

KILLING THEM AGAIN

Embark on a terrifying husk biome. I got more zombies than I wanted.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 01:23:00 pm »

KILLING THEM AGAIN

On the up side, you laugh every time a necromancer shows up. Silly necro, you're not needed here.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 01:30:39 pm »

KILLING THEM AGAIN

On the up side, you laugh every time a necromancer shows up. Silly necro, you're not needed here.

made me laugh
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 08:58:01 pm »

are necros trap avoid when ambushing? I can understand a necro-kobold (if that is even possible) or another creature that's trap-avoid before becoming a necro keeping the ability after becoming a necromancer.

I was testing some pressure plate triggered traps and some regular (dwarf, human) necros somehow seemed to get past them while in ambush mode... not 100% sure though it could have been an unforeseen backdoor in my trap setup...

Looking closely, after the necros got revealed by a dog pastured above the hall on a floor grate, they ran out and they did trigger the pressure plates...

What got me confused was one instance were I saw the plate being triggered by the invisible necro, afterwards the bridge floor opened thus throwing down 1 z-level the invicible necro, but somehow the necro showed up revealed by my dog further down the trap... maybe it was another one, and the invicible one was still trapped on bellow the bridge...

shouldn't they get revealed if they fall?
Pages: [1] 2