Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone else train there military without weapons?  (Read 1976 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone else train there military without weapons?
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:12:24 pm »

I honestly dont train my army in weapons, I make them, but I focus more on hand-to-hand training. Anyone else do this?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else train there military without weapons?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:13:38 pm »

Inb4: stupid kobald

:p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:15:12 pm »

I never gotten that in any of my threads, ever. Only "Pat Pat".

And this is the first inb4 I seen in this forum.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else train their military without weapons?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:16:31 pm »

In short, I used to, at one point, when training was dangerous and unarmed training helped to proof them against accidents when you eventually let them train armed.

And then we ended up (more or less simultaneously?) with both safer training and training weapons, strangely enough.  (With training weapons not needed for safer training, they have of course been given another use, extending live-training with the given weapon-types.)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:10 pm »

I once ran a shaolin monk fort. They did ok. Good armor is a must.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:22:00 am »

Yes, I do this all the time!

But only because a) they didn't pick up their weapons b) I assigned weapons that I didn't/forgot to make c) stupid Kobald d) I made a custom equipment set and forgot to assign weapons / assigned impossible weapons.

EDIT - Typo
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 12:33:35 am »

i like to start the fort off with a biter/teacher and a shield user/teacher who train unarmed until they've taught each other a good level in their respective skills. they still get shields though.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 12:41:04 am »

In seriousness tho, I prefer they DON'T ever learn about unarmed attacks. Since they tend to choose attacks based on their skills, a trained puncher will have a higher chance to punch a goblin in the face rather than stab said goblin in the face.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

mikelon

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 01:26:23 am »

I tried, got 3 legendary wrestlers

They got utterly devastated by a single ambush.

Weapon no matter what material > fists

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 01:51:00 am »

I ran a shaolin fort once, too.
Every dwarf was training in pairs for half their time, and everyone except mothers were dr'ed. Goblin ambush squads were routinely killed by any two or three random dwarves.
I did lose some dwarves earlier on before they were all dr'ed and a dwarf or two to ranged attackers. And children always die horribly.
This must be better now that you can dr children as well.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 03:05:04 am »

I never gotten that in any of my threads, ever. Only "Pat Pat".

And this is the first inb4 I seen in this forum.

Really? I've seen several times people jokingly yelled at you for being a Kobold :p

And I've seen several inb4's, as well.

Anywho, on topic, I've not really done much military training, my forts usually only survive 4-5 years before fps drops too far. Trying a lot of fps optimization this fort, 4 years in, still over 100 fps... Usually. About to start military training.

My plan, when I get around to it, is to indeed to weaponless, to try and encourage the non-weapon skills, wrestler, biter, etc. So I'm a kinda yes :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 03:07:39 am »

I'm gonna try this. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 03:23:03 am »

I don't like wrestlers, too large of a chance for them to get stranglin' and not actually kill things.

I do my best to encourage Biters though, mostly by waiting till someone bites a goblin in the heat of battle and then pairing them up with the best students I can track down.

It's an imprecise process, and I give them weapons so they don't learn the more useless skills, hopefully.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 03:43:58 am »

I'm gonna try this.

Don't forget to mod in orange dye.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 10:08:15 am »

ever since i found out that training them got rid of negative stat bonuses, i have my dwarves wrestle prisoners to death. does a small amount of damage, but goes up really quickly agains armoured apponents. afterwards i tell them to pick up a weapon of choice and have them train with that.
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ
Pages: [1] 2