Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What was that old show called?  (Read 7290 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: What was that old show called?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 01:32:41 am »

I thought the Aladdin spinoff series was pretty awesome :)  I think one of the villains they made up for the show ended up in Return of Jafar even.  Unless it was the other way around.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 01:38:25 am »

The dude that found Jafar's lamp was in the TV series, as I recall.

I only saw two or three episodes of that, but I remember it being entertaining.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 02:37:21 am »

In the late nineties and early twenty-first century, every movie was made into a kids show. Off the top of my head, I can recall Men in Black, Godzilla, Evolution, The Mighty Ducks (which bore absolutely no resemblance to the movie it was based off of, in the weirdest way possible), and I think there was a Free Wiley show which, like Mighty Ducks, added a sci-fi element to a franchise that in no way possessed it previously. Plus, I think like half of early Toon Disney was tv spin-offs of their more successful movies.
Some of those were awesome (I liked the Men in Black cartoon quite a bit), so that's not in any way a bad thing :)
+1. The Men in Black cartoon was awesome and (in my nostalgia-clouded mind) hilarious. I think I actually still have a recorded episode on VHS somewhere...
+2. MiB was pretty funny, and it had great stories and plotlines (I think most of the recurring ones involved Agent Alpha, though I think there might have been some recurring alien villains). Plus there was all those cool aliens and alien tech. If I could right now I would totally watch it.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 03:54:01 am »

Someone call?
Unless you're a set of robotic Stooges, no.  ;)

(So, nobody remember anything like that?  I mean, it would have been early '70s, but I know I'm not the only old fogey around here...  But the possibility that me, and me alone in the entire world dreamt up this cartoon series when everyone else was watching The Hair Bear Bunch or Captain Caveman or whatever else was on at that time[1] on their non-imaginary TV sets is something that I may have to worry about...)

Saw some of the MiB cartoons (no idea why I was watching kids TV in the years they must have been on, but I have seen them) and I found them Worthy.  Though the finest subtleties of any background story-arc passed me by.  The fact that J, K and L all featured as major characters I found unusual.  That would mean it would have been in a post-MiB2 timeline, IIRC.

[1]  Ummm, actually, those are probably early '80s, instead.  Inch-High Private Eye was '80s, I'm fairly sure.  Hector's House?  The Flumps?  Oh, and The Clangers...  Well, I'm resisting going to TVTropes for any of those titles, for the obvious reasons, although I suppose IMDB could be safer and less time-consuming... ;) )

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 04:12:33 am »

I VA'd the glove in "Wish Kid"

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 05:09:40 am »

Though the finest subtleties of any background story-arc passed me by.  The fact that J, K and L all featured as major characters I found unusual.  That would mean it would have been in a post-MiB2 timeline, IIRC.
From what I remember, the cartoon was made before MIB2 was, so they made their own assumptions and ran with it. MIB2 had zero qualms ignoring the cartoon entirely, so they ended up being alternate universes or whatever.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 05:11:52 am »

I wonder if anyone knows about 90's anime. I remember watching a few as a kid, but the problem is, well, they were dubbed into Arabic, names changed and everything (except Detective Conan, Misako and Doraemon). I still remember the Arabic names for some of these shows, but I don't think they ever got imported to the states for most people to know them off the cuff.

I'll go ahead and list a few here.

-Average highschool student finds a dinosaur egg, antics in Japan, late they move to a fantasy world
-Adnan wa Leena (Okay, okay, no-one prolly knows this, but the title all I can remember, I do know it's one of the more famous ones here)

That's... all I can remember for now, though I do remember there being a lot more that I watched as a kid.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 05:24:26 am »

Only 90's anime I ever watched was Dragonball. Saw one episode, saw 2 gay guys yelling at each other for half an hour, and got turned off of anime for years.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 09:24:35 am »

[1]  Ummm, actually, those are probably early '80s, instead.  Inch-High Private Eye was '80s, I'm fairly sure.  Hector's House?  The Flumps?  Oh, and The Clangers...  Well, I'm resisting going to TVTropes for any of those titles, for the obvious reasons, although I suppose IMDB could be safer and less time-consuming... ;) )
RedKing cancels task: Interrupted by nostalgia.

BTW, it was the Robonic Stooges. Ah, the 1970s....when Hanna-Barbera reigned supreme on Saturday mornings, and their writers were tripping balls. How else do you explain such gems as Groovie Ghoulies, Partridge Family 2200AD, and The New Shmoo?

There was also the penchant for having cartoons of real people becoming superheroes. Like the Harlem Globetrotters and Muhammad Ali.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 09:57:16 am »

In the late nineties and early twenty-first century, every movie was made into a kids show. Off the top of my head, I can recall Men in Black, Godzilla, Evolution, The Mighty Ducks (which bore absolutely no resemblance to the movie it was based off of, in the weirdest way possible), and I think there was a Free Wiley show which, like Mighty Ducks, added a sci-fi element to a franchise that in no way possessed it previously. Plus, I think like half of early Toon Disney was tv spin-offs of their more successful movies.
Some of those were awesome (I liked the Men in Black cartoon quite a bit), so that's not in any way a bad thing :)
+1. The Men in Black cartoon was awesome and (in my nostalgia-clouded mind) hilarious. I think I actually still have a recorded episode on VHS somewhere...
+2. MiB was pretty funny, and it had great stories and plotlines (I think most of the recurring ones involved Agent Alpha, though I think there might have been some recurring alien villains). Plus there was all those cool aliens and alien tech. If I could right now I would totally watch it.
+3 for MiB.  I completely forgot about the show until I saw that it was on The Hub while surfing television yesterday, shame I don't get that channel.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 10:14:06 am »

BTW, it was the Robonic Stooges.

It exists!  I'm not mad!

Erm.  Well, I probably am, but not insofar as having hallucinated an entire cartoon.  (And someone else obviously invented the term "Robonic", so my remaining insanity is surely going to be adjusted down a notch or two by default...)

There was also the penchant for having cartoons of real people becoming superheroes. Like the Harlem Globetrotters and Muhammad Ali.
I definitely remember the Globetrotters one.  From what I remember of the characterisation, it'd not be shown today because of modern sensitivities to such things.  (At least as a kids' cartoon, although it might scrape through in a nostalgia/"hey wasn't the TV we had back then so strange!" slot.  Don't remember the Ali one, so no idea if that'd have the same issue (or just that it'd now have less topicality/brand-recognition for the target audience, and be less than the shiny-shiny CGI-assisted animation of the equivalent modern output).

Which reminds me, I still have some Chorlton And The Wheelies and Ivor The Engine videos to hook an old VCR[1] up to something to watch, sometime.

[1] VHS, at least.  Although I've got a Betamax and a Video2000 machine squirrelled away somewhere.  Where VHS<Betamax<Video2000, in quality although, even at the time, VHS>Betamax>>Video2000 when it came to availability of tapes!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 10:51:31 am »

BTW, it was the Robonic Stooges.

It exists!  I'm not mad!

Erm.  Well, I probably am, but not insofar as having hallucinated an entire cartoon.  (And someone else obviously invented the term "Robonic", so my remaining insanity is surely going to be adjusted down a notch or two by default...)
See, they weren't just robots, they were bionic robots. Hence, "robonic". DONT JUDGE THEM IT MAKES SENSE WHEN YOURE TOTALLY BAKED AND ON A DEADLINE

I definitely remember the Globetrotters one.  From what I remember of the characterisation, it'd not be shown today because of modern sensitivities to such things.  (At least as a kids' cartoon, although it might scrape through in a nostalgia/"hey wasn't the TV we had back then so strange!" slot.  Don't remember the Ali one, so no idea if that'd have the same issue (or just that it'd now have less topicality/brand-recognition for the target audience, and be less than the shiny-shiny CGI-assisted animation of the equivalent modern output).
[/quote]
Apparently it was sort of like Scooby-Doo (mystery monster of the week who is really just Farmer Jenkins in a mask). I'm kinda hoping that where it differed was that Ali just beat the shit out of them instead of running around with wacky hijinks, but that would make for a pretty short cartoon.

"Look! It's the Werewolf of Devil's Creek!" (note: this was one of the actual episode monsters)
"ARRROOOOO-- *POW* Oh shit...my head *POW BIFF CRUNCH* oh god make it stop"
"Wait, that's not a werewolf, it's Mr. Farnsworth, the motel clerk!
".....and he's not breathing anymore."
"And that's why you don't mess...with the greatest...of all....tiiiiime!"
"Oh, Ali!" <group laughter>
ROLL CREDITS

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 11:45:11 am »

"Look! It's the Werewolf of Devil's Creek!" (note: this was one of the actual episode monsters)
"ARRROOOOO-- *POW* Oh shit...my head *POW BIFF CRUNCH* oh god make it stop"
"Wait, that's not a werewolf, it's Mr. Farnsworth, the motel clerk!
".....and he's not breathing anymore."
"And why did I hit him, I hear you ask,
'Cos I could see joins around his mask.
Plus from a tape deck came his howling,
Nowhere near where he was prowling.
So once I knew he wasn't no lyncanthrope,
He went down faster than the Great White Hope.
And now from terror you are free,
Thanks to me, the Great Ali!!
"Oh, Ali!" <group laughter>
ROLL CREDITS

FTFY.  (Really, he's gotta make a corny rhyme...  And it nearly triples the episode length... ;) )

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 12:36:10 pm »

*slow clap* I tip my hat to you, sirrah.

I wanted to do something rhyming, but just didn't have the creative chops this morning.
Double points for working in "lycanthrope".

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 12:48:39 pm »

While this thread is still up and about, let's see if anyone can help with with the name of a cartoon that I've been trying to remember for ages now:

It was about these two brothers. One was smart and nerdy, while the other was a bully and had purple skin, if I remember correctly. I can't remember much else, except that there was this rich girl who was in love with the purple one.

I seriously always feel like the name is on the tip of my tongue, but I can never quite recall it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3