Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Making an underwaterfortress the hard way  (Read 13071 times)

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making an underwaterfortress the hard way
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2012, 08:27:43 pm »

But can they destroy buildings through submerged fortifications?
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2012, 05:37:54 pm »

Other than titans I'm not aware of any underwater building destroyers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2012, 07:43:32 pm »

Other than titans I'm not aware of any underwater building destroyers.

Anything undead, anything that doesn't need to breathe and ends up in water.

LordFerrok

• Bay Watcher
  • Deranged raving lunatic with delusions of god
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 04:05:45 pm »

found out just wait for the ocean to freeze, hollow out the area and build before the ocean thaws

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2012, 04:18:33 pm »

Just make sure your miners don't fall into unfrozen water.

Bonus points for making your structure out of ice?

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2012, 04:32:25 pm »

fully submerged fortifications don't stop creatures of any size.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2012, 05:02:43 pm »

Since underwater fortresses are a massive undertaking, I would suggest using zero speed dwarves and other modding "cheats" to accomplish the task. Also turning off invaders/economy/temperature/weather would help.

Also, the ocean is really hard to drain, of such FPS crushing proportions that digging your own ocean next to a river is more practical.

And while we're at it, even if you mod dwarves to be able to breathe and walk underwater, they will not do any work underwater because it's considered dangerous terrain.

LordFerrok

• Bay Watcher
  • Deranged raving lunatic with delusions of god
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2012, 01:27:14 am »

Since underwater fortresses are a massive undertaking, I would suggest using zero speed dwarves and other modding "cheats" to accomplish the task. Also turning off invaders/economy/temperature/weather would help.

Also, the ocean is really hard to drain, of such FPS crushing proportions that digging your own ocean next to a river is more practical.

And while we're at it, even if you mod dwarves to be able to breathe and walk underwater, they will not do any work underwater because it's considered dangerous terrain.

Cheating? This is a legit undertaking, if I was gonna cheat there would be no fun, to fix invaders embark on an island, ignore economy and just have a support infastructure, start of winter begin, build one building at a time and dont use space, just repeatedly hit period so no time is wasted, it takes forever but it works, weather you can ignore

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2012, 02:21:29 am »

Has anyone linked to the succesful underwater piston drop system people came up with a while back?

There was even a link to someone succeeding in dropping a capsule to the floor.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2012, 03:00:23 am »

Ahh - relevant thread and theory crafting - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56305.135

The name given to the method was  the Dwarven Hammer,  Don't know if it is on the wiki. but it probably should be.

Final - Success http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56305.195 by opsneakie.

This originally was done to figure out a way to put a sub at the bottom of the edit: MAGMA sea ocean, but the problem is that semi molten rock destroys whatever touches it.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:49:06 am by parlor_tricks »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2012, 02:14:38 pm »

Ah, but if you're going to the bottom of the ocean, it works just fine.

There is one option. It's a pain in the neck, but essentially you'll need a casting farm. What you'll do is build out over the ocean, and hang everything from a single support. Slowly build down a pump stack and caisson to the water level and begin pumping around the edges. Your objective is to reach the floor. The more pumps you have the faster it will go. Essentially you'll need to get all the way to the bottom and have a pump stack set up to draw water off the bottom of the ocean and pump it back up. You'll need to build this all the way around. It must have at least a one z-level gap at the bottom. Once you have the area dry, begin building.

Once you have your fortress complete, drop the caisson. It will slam into the ground and because it consists of constructed objects it will shatter. In a couple of weeks the game will have finished calculating the water reentry. Viola, underwater fortress.

Disclaimer: This poster not responsible for melted electronics, or house fires resulting from such.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]