Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Making an underwaterfortress the hard way  (Read 13090 times)

LordFerrok

• Bay Watcher
  • Deranged raving lunatic with delusions of god
    • View Profile
Making an underwaterfortress the hard way
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:53:49 pm »

Would it be possible to build a large multi-building habitat connected to walkways above the water, fill it with all the dwarves will need, get them all inside, and sink it to the ocean floor? Or would it result in something fun like the buildings breaking open and drowning all the dwarves?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Making an underwaterfortress the hard way
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:58:28 pm »

Would it be possible to build a large multi-building habitat connected to walkways above the water, fill it with all the dwarves will need, get them all inside, and sink it to the ocean floor? Or would it result in something fun like the buildings breaking open and drowning all the dwarves?

The building, and all the dwarves, would end up as a paper-thin smear on the bottom of the ocean. All the items and junk would be scattered around the seafloor.

You have to do something like drain the ocean, build on the sea floor, and then let it flood again.

LordFerrok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:00:42 pm »

ok, why would they all die in horrible crushing oblivion?

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:01:13 pm »

When constructed structures collapse, they deconstruct.  So if built from constructed walls and floors, you'd get a pile of stone.

When natural rock structures collapse, they collapse as individual cubes of material.  So you'd end up with a solid structure where all of the internal cavities were filled by whatever was above them.

I use that property to create nice flat expanses of "surface" much further down by digging out a mirror of the surface topology so that when it all falls, the hills will fall further and the surface of the collapsed expanse will be flat.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:28:23 pm »

You can do anything with enough pumps. And slave labor.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:58:04 pm »

Unless some idiot has organized a party.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 09:03:23 pm »

You can do anything with enough pumps. And slave labor.

Just expect FPM (frames per minute) when the pumps to empty the lower level of water come online. The current underwater fortress I'm working on now is about complete after 9 in game years spent stripping a giant hole in the land that I'm building it in, as well as waiting for my masons to create all the blocks I need.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

LordFerrok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 09:45:30 pm »

so i would have to wait till winter then tunnel up? also, can you get dwarfs to fish the ocean?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:00:49 pm by LordFerrok »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 10:05:16 pm »

You could cast a solid obsidian dome above the surface of the ocean. When its done, collapse it into the sea floor, then connect to it and hollow it out with miners.

LordFerrok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 10:13:22 pm »

OBSIDIAN  >:( YOU WOULD DARE TELL ME TO SPOIL MY BEAUTIFUL UNDERWATER PRISON RESORT WITH A VIEW OBSTRUCTED BY THAT BLACK STONE!!!!!! IT MUST BE MADE OF GLASS WINDOWS AND WALLS

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 10:41:34 pm »

No, no, it's just temporary.  Cast a huge cube of obsidian, one layer at a time.  Hollow it out so that a one-block-thick wall is all that's holding back the water.  Then build your glass dome however you like.  Once you're done, undermine the obsidian seawall so that it collapses completely into the sea floor.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

LordFerrok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 10:46:51 pm »

No, no, it's just temporary.  Cast a huge cube of obsidian, one layer at a time.  Hollow it out so that a one-block-thick wall is all that's holding back the water.  Then build your glass dome however you like.  Once you're done, undermine the obsidian seawall so that it collapses completely into the sea floor.

how do i undermine only the obsidian and not the buildings (domes are boring)

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 10:53:56 pm »

OBSIDIAN  >:( YOU WOULD DARE TELL ME TO SPOIL MY BEAUTIFUL UNDERWATER PRISON RESORT WITH A VIEW OBSTRUCTED BY THAT BLACK STONE!!!!!! IT MUST BE MADE OF GLASS WINDOWS AND WALLS

Obsidian is a form of glass. You'll be fine.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 10:55:15 pm »

how do i undermine only the obsidian and not the buildings (domes are boring)

He means that you would carve out the ceiling of the cube too, so it is just 4 straight walls in a square, holding back the ocean.  Then youd collapse it by digging a wall height hole under the wall and collapsing it so it slots in perfectly.

Honestly, I think draining the ocean with a bridge (tells you how on the wiki) and some pumps to the map edge i way the hell easier.  <1 year project to do that
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

LordFerrok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 10:57:19 pm »

Obsidian is a form of glass. You'll be fine.

Volcanic glass, its opaque, not clear, how am i suppost to impress upon my prisoners guests the futility of escape into a hostile ocean how beautiful the ocean is, if they cannot see out?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4