Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Relocating a Fortress  (Read 2088 times)

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
Relocating a Fortress
« on: May 02, 2012, 05:21:20 am »

There is one thing I hate in my forts. Design errors. Spend 5 real time hours to find out it doesn't actually look all that good after all. What do you do when this happens? I like the world I've genned, it's just the way I want my roleplay to go, but my fort isn't as majestic as it could be, which is a shame. I tried regenning the same world, but even with the exact same parameters and seeds the history turns out to be different, makes me sad.

As you can probably figure out, I don't want to abandon just now. What are my options here?
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.
Re: Relocating a Fortress
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:45:05 am »

You could just tear down the walls you don't like, and build new ones in the now empty spaces. That is what I do rather than start a new fortress.

Unless you like you stone walls rougher than a cat's tounge, it's the best solution, since constructed walls come out looking exactly the same as smooth ones; it just takes stone resources to make.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:46:40 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:52:53 am »

I like engraved walls =P
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:22:05 am »

Pumpstacks + magma + water + constructed walls + dwarfiness = profit!

Just pump some magma to the surface, fill 1z level of a constructed wall mould, then pump water on top.  Rinse, repeat until done.  Fabulous monolithic obsidian block for fun and profit. Destrou constructed walls, mine it out however you like, smooth, and engrave.

And if you are a lazy cheater, you can use dfhack's liquids command to spawn obsidian walls and floors without using pumpstacks to pump the ingredients.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 06:28:06 am »

For your future ventures, backup a copy of a clean world as soon as you generate it. That way you can have a few different alternate paths playing out on the same world, or trash the whole thing and start over "fresher".

I've adjusted my playstyle over the years to not sweat the small stuff. If you have a flawed fortress, try to bring it to a dwarfy end if you can.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 06:33:11 am »

For your future ventures, backup a copy of a clean world as soon as you generate it. That way you can have a few different alternate paths playing out on the same world, or trash the whole thing and start over "fresher".

I've adjusted my playstyle over the years to not sweat the small stuff. If you have a flawed fortress, try to bring it to a dwarfy end if you can.

Well, lesson learned. I did make a copy and abandoned, I'll probably make up a narrative reason for that. Oh well, time to find a similar embark near my parent civ that makes sense to colonize.

Or maybe even go a bit of adventuring to add some more fun.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:35:35 am by caddybear »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:28 am »

yeah, I just make a copy right after the world is generated (once I've checked out the legends viewer to ensure its awesome), then once I pick my embark profile, I make another copy of the save right at day 1.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 08:47:31 am »

Wierd and slothen are both right. Because you lack a backup save you will need to resort to magma if engravings are that important.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 11:06:37 am »

Saving the world after generation, and initial plus annual spring saves for every embark, is what I use.  That way if I make a total mess of something I can step back to a save.  It isn't all gravy that way, either.  Sometimes I lose a nice artifact or some interesting fortress history when I reload.  I have to balance those factors.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 11:52:49 am »

Just roll with it. Being able to improvise is a good skill to have. Even if you make a mistake, just work with it. Try to adapt to unpredictable things.

On a side note I've been forcing myself to do this after my fiasco with my previous fortress which was way too orderly. I'm now building my entire fortress within the caverns and making use of the natural stone to make a more organic fortress with unpredictable terrain.

morderkaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 03:55:09 pm »

Get a whole ton of miners/masons and dig out/build another fort somewhere beside your existing.
Make it as you want it, but empty until its perfect. Put in your workshops where you want them, all the rooms. Start building mastercraft beds and tables and chairs and begin placing them, etc.
Once the perfect fort is done, create your stockpiles there and eliminate your ones in the old fort, redo all designations into the new fort, set people up with their new bedrooms, etc. Remove masterwork furniture from your old fort and move it into the new one.
Voila - New fort that was made perfect while your dwarves lived in the other one!
Once everything is moved over, either seal up, or trap the old place.