Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Maid Service.  (Read 1987 times)

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Maid Service.
« on: May 01, 2012, 09:07:30 pm »

I would love to be able to Designate an area for cleaning and have some amount of dwarves run out with soap and buckets of water to clean the inevitable blood soaked horror the entrance to any fortress becomes.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Maid Service.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:13:08 pm »

In before the Link Dump of the previous threads about this.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:17:39 pm »

It's actually a bit of a bug that this isn't happening already - it's meant to be done now, so it's less suggestion, more bug report territory.

Although the title gave me the most unfortunate mental image of dwarves in maid outfits.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:24:11 pm »

Is it a bug? From my understanding, the Range of the Job to select dorfs seem to be just much shorter then the Range for all other jobs.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:32:25 pm »

Although the title gave me the most unfortunate mental image of dwarves in maid outfits.

Can I request this?  ;D
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:37:21 pm »

I've got a lot of cloth and silk I can spare :)

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:51:43 pm »

In before the Link Dump of the previous threads about this.

Yes yes but I have no problem keeping a topic I am interested in alive.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:09:58 pm »

Is it a bug? From my understanding, the Range of the Job to select dorfs seem to be just much shorter then the Range for all other jobs.

Well, "Cleaning" is a job right now, and dwarves just don't do it. 

I guess you could say the "designate area" part is new suggestion territory if you want to argue that route, though.

Yes yes but I have no problem keeping a topic I am interested in alive.

If you want to report bugs and keep them relevant, the Worst Bug Voting Thread would be the place to go. 

Bugs are resolved significantly more frequently/quickly than suggestions are implemented, anyway, so it would be better for you to use that thread, regardless.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 12:11:43 pm »

I don't really want to file a bug and I'm not really sure that being able to designate an area for cleaning was the right idea. I just kind of wanted to talk about it. I intended it to be more of a social discussion than a technical discussion. In the future I'll just keep quiet.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 12:42:09 pm »

I don't really want to file a bug

Good, because it's already filed.  You just have to vote for it to be fixed sooner than other bugs.

It's not a bad thing to start a suggestion thread, obviously, but you should try to make it about actually suggesting something new to the game, preferably after searching for what has been said about the topic in the past, and possibly going the extra mile to bring in outside knowledge.  For example, a real-life beekeeper brought in his knowledge of beekeeping when he wrote the Buzzin' Beard thread.  When talking about pottery, I had someone come in with real-world potters experience and talk about what soils to use in what clay bodies, and what minerals were used in what glazes. 

Either Toady or other posters in the suggestion forum have generally thought of most of the things that anyone who has played most games will already know about.  Adding to the conversation generally takes a focus on some very unusual aspect of game design or else bringing in some uncommon real-world knowledge to the game.

If you want purely social discussion, however, the Fortress Mode Forum is really more the place for pure discussion. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 06:20:26 pm »

Dwarves are supposed to clean the inside of the fort of contaminants, and the ability to designate an area could work to compliment that; sometimes you might want to spring clean your front porch. I also wonder how contaminated caverns should work. You probably don't want dwarves cleaning up after the olm men who got in a fight with the other wildlife, but you probably do want to clean up the interior cavern entrance. But there is currently no indicator as to whether a tile is in the caverns or not, like there is for outdoors.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 06:37:12 pm »

Well, "Cleaning" is a job right now, and dwarves just don't do it. 

I guess you could say the "designate area" part is new suggestion territory if you want to argue that route, though.
No, dorfs do Clean. Your Meeting Hall for instance will never be dirty, as the idle dofrs will clean the area.

The DF Wiki suggest you isolate dorfs with burrows if you want particular areas of your fortress clean.

Which to me suggest that Range for Job Selection to get a Dorf is just a lot shorter then other jobs.

This might not be a bug. This might be  feature working as intended but it needs to be tweaked.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cleaning
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 05:55:27 pm »

I necro this thread, because the suggestion is somewhat related.

1) Designate cleaning similar to smoothing, mining etc. (outside of water)

I second this. This should include broken bolts and should be applicable on walls, ramps, stairs as well. Outside cleaning should remove vegetation, you can't really clean grass without removing it (similar to dirt roads now). Yes, I want to clean the map - imagine you play in a beautiful white sand desert where no rain ever reduces the amound of blood on the map - skeletons all around are fine, but blood and vomit :)

2) Make blood/vomit decay over time (set a half-value period and check once a month).

Spreading, infection is all fun, but when you still have blood spreading out that was spilled a dozen years earlier... was washed of a hundred times, it gets old. When a corpse rots down to a skeleton there shouldn't be any blood of the beast left.

3) Remove fire resistance of vomit.

A fire of the vegetation removes blood stains, the vomit remains.

4) Fire should be able to spread modestly up and down ramps / walls. (Would help in clean-up, in many cases.)

5) There should be a possibility to remove mud from stone floor.

This would make life easier after flooding accidents.

6) Dry caverns behave oddly. (Bug?)

Nothing grows in dry caverns (even after finding a wet one later), but after being exposed to dragon fire things start to grow in the affected area.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 06:47:42 pm »

1. Seems simple enough, to use at least.
2. Sensible.
3. Vomit isn't affected by fire? Sounds like a bug.
4. Seems like a good idea overall, although fires would be more !!fun!!.
5. Eh. Sounds like it would lead to dwarves ruining farms again if not done carefully. Still a good idea...once cleaning is done by designation.
6. Dragon breath is filthy. Seriously, though, neat bug.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 02:20:12 am »

Designating an area to be cleaned would be nice, though I'd rather it not be the only way it gets done.  Maybe designated cleaning areas just make a much higher priority Clean job than normal.

Meanwhile a workaround is make the filthy area a meeting zone, at least temporarily.  Put a statue nearby and zone a statue garden from it, or something like that.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.
Pages: [1] 2