Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Baron NEVER arrives, what am I doing wrong?  (Read 7807 times)

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
Baron NEVER arrives, what am I doing wrong?
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:07:24 pm »

I remember once, I had a fortress with +2000000 created wealth, +150 population, +100000 imported wealth +100000, have like 10 caravans to leave, and still no baron. More than 5 years have passed, nothing!!!
And the mayor mas elected when I had 100 dwarves. Theres no save (I deleted it :P),
I have started a new fortress recently with 24 dwarves, so...

What is the problem?, how can I avoid this problem (bug)?.
The spinning (silk shoe) strikes the Baron in the left upper arm, bruising the skin!
The Baron has been shot and killed.

WARNING! I'm not responsible for damaging/destroying your post!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Baron NEVER arrives, what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:12:11 pm »

Barons are "appointed" by the trade liason now.

You need to make "das faterland" happy.  Give them a large fiscal gift.

The next caravan should be large, and the liason should ask if you have any suggestions to appoint a baron.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:13:45 pm »

weird has it right, try offering tons of trinkets and valuable junk to the next trade caravan and see what happens when the next caravan arrives.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18:43 pm »

The next caravan should be large, and the liason should ask if you have any suggestions to appoint a baron.

So, offering valuable junk makes them happy and gives the option of barony?
But, how about the masterwork adamantine axe I sent as an offer?, 3 years latter I got the barony.
The spinning (silk shoe) strikes the Baron in the left upper arm, bruising the skin!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:26:43 pm »

It seems to be based on a few things:

1) you need a mayor, so pop greater than 25.

2) you need to grow your networth quickly. I think 1 mil is the tipping point.

3) you need to make das faterland happy. This can be done by repeatedly giving a good trade balance, or by giving a very large, lavish gift.

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 08:37:54 pm »

It seems to be based on a few things:

1) you need a mayor, so pop greater than 25.

2) you need to grow your networth quickly. I think 1 mil is the tipping point.

3) you need to make das faterland happy. This can be done by repeatedly giving a good trade balance, or by giving a very large, lavish gift.
MMM, this is getting really strange:

1) I had pop 100 when my mayor got elected,
2) The first thing I hoped to do in that fortress is to mine adamantine, and that happended,I had adamantine statues and battle axes everywhere, having my created wealth in my first year really big, making a lot of migrants.
3) I gift a masterwork adamantine axe to the caravan

And yes, I bought (almost) everything from the caravan
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:44:41 pm by the_game_hunt »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 08:44:25 pm »

The early discovery of adamantine might be the cause.

In previous versions this resulted in being declared a mountain home instantly, and getting the "adamantine king" to arrive.

Try to avoid going straight for the candy next time.

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 08:49:01 pm »

The early discovery of adamantine might be the cause.

In previous versions this resulted in being declared a mountain home instantly, and getting the "adamantine king" to arrive.

Try to avoid going straight for the candy next time.
Thanks!!! I'll post another topic if this happens again

Also, does locking my mayor to a room and let the caravan leave is related to this?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 03:26:37 am »

I just let the traders leave extatic all the time and seem to be becomming a barony based on population, since I usually set popcap so I end up with about 60 dwarfs

the king arriving when you mine candy doesn't happen anymore, pretty sure about that. It's based on wealth, gifts and population
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 03:35:13 am »

I think the best option is to have a big wealth (fortress value) and give a surplus trade, though with skilled trader it should be enough to give between 10% and 20% (i.e. you buy merchandise for 1000 and pay with 1200). I wouldn't give offers, well, maybe once, because if you have enough population, enough wealth and give enough offers (and "enough" in this case is still a very small value) then you king will arrive. And you won't get an offer to make a barony after that.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 08:46:46 am »

Also, does locking my mayor to a room and let the caravan leave is related to this?

Your mayor has to meet with the dwarven fortress liason to get the conversation to appoint a baron.  You get the option to pick a dwarf, and then when the fortress liason makes it back to the mountain home, you will get a message and the dwarf you picked will be a noble.  You just need to generate wealth as normal, and have a decent population.  This can be done without offerings, and without having over 100 population.  There is a modest requirement for exported wealth and total wealth.  Baron appointment can be delayed or interfered with by sieges interrupting scheduled dwarven caravan trade meetings, or the death of a fortress liason, but it should happen eventually.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 11:46:44 am »

You also have to have a certain level of industry. If your fortress isn't producing much, or is only producing a single thing to the exclusion of everything else, then you will never get a noble.

Once you start making metal objects, clothing, bins, and glass or rock pottery in huge amounts you will definitely have enough diverse production going to trigger the promotion to a noble.

To prepare for this, I find a dwarf I like, give him a custom title, and have him do all of the administrative jobs of the fortress (and no other jobs at all) so that when the promotion comes I can easily find him from the list.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 11:58:14 am »

I usually trade with food only (that stuff is so imbalanced worthy ... Goblins must be hungry at home), and I always get my Baron, or my Baroness.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 12:58:06 pm »

In the dark ages, cookery was a secret sauce.  Most families were on the edge of starvation, and with the exception of very common ingredients, poor people didn't experiment much with cookery. All the fancy cooking was done by wealthy people or their hired help.

Books on cookery were all at once expensive, rare, and impossible to use by most people. (Most people, including nobility were illiterate.)

This means that to learn cookery, you needed all of these things:

Free time in which to plan and experiment.
Extra food to experiment with
Variety in diet to make complex meals with
Free time in which to ask others about their cookery
Literacy skills to create and use a cookbook.

Simple things like simple pottage, soups, an puddings can be passed down as a homespun family secret, usually from mothers to daughters due to helping with chores.

Complex things, like a complex 6 course meal that is easy/enjoyable to eat, sits well, is attractive to look at, and inspires awe in the dinner guests were the exclusive purvue of royal chefs.

Dwarves are communists (with monarchs...). They specialize and segregate vocationally, and as such, the fortress cook ends up becoming an equivilent of a medieval royal chef. While I take xception to some of the culinary calamities that they make, (kitten tallow roast, made exclusively from tallow? Really?) Fundamentally I comprehend why their food they make has such a high price.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 01:12:34 pm »

Ya, a 10k Urist roast is easy to get. A few to buy whatever from caravans, and 1 as an offer so the next caravan is bigger. At least, it's how it seems to work for me.

Barony just happens :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Pages: [1] 2