Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Limestone Question  (Read 2163 times)

JetCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Limestone Question
« on: May 01, 2012, 04:59:41 pm »

Hey so I just started playing recently, and neither Google nor the guides I've been using could help me out with a question that I have, so I was hoping you guys might be able to. I was wondering what the difference is between using Limestone to make walls and using Limestone Blocks to make walls. They have a name difference ("Rough Limestone Block Wall" vs. "Limestone Block Wall"), but I was wondering what else is different about these, thanks!

Jet

coolguy1351

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Limestone Question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 05:25:36 pm »

The difference is purely aesthetic, as far as I know. (Been playing for several years)

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 05:43:08 pm »

Not much difference at all with walls.

Blocks are worth slightly more, weigh less, and are stackable in stockpiles. They also supposedly cut build time.

They are useful when you forbid certain types of stones, blocks made from that stone will still be usable (for things that blocks are usable for)

As far as the wall itself, probably no real difference.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 05:50:11 pm »

I seem to recall walls built of blocks being engravable, unlike walls built from rough rock. Been a while since I checked that though, so I might be wrong.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:35:34 pm »

Blocks are worth slightly more, weigh less, and are stackable in stockpiles.

Blocks are worth considerably more. Although there's not much difference really, if you're all about practicality.

I seem to recall walls built of blocks being engravable, unlike walls built from rough rock. Been a while since I checked that though, so I might be wrong.

All constructed walls can be carved into fortifications, but never engraved. Smooth or rough.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 06:37:08 pm »

You can engrave walls cut directly from the rock, so long as they are Smoothed first (D>S).

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 12:16:49 pm »

Block walls and floors are definatly engraveable afaik, no idea about rough block walls but I'd guess theyre not.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 12:53:25 pm »

Constructed walls and floors, whether built from blocks or bricks or bars or boulders, are definitely NOT engraveable.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 12:54:21 pm »

Constructed walls and floors, whether built from blocks or bricks or bars or boulders, are definitely NOT engraveable.
Seconded.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 03:28:37 pm »

Thirded.

The only difference in block walls vs rock walls is that they are called "smooth" rather than "rough", and worth more.

The only way to "construct" a wall that you can engrave is magma casting. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Obsidian
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 04:10:49 pm »

They look better. Who wants to live somewhere with rough walls?

No one, that's who.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 10:27:26 pm »

my OCD nature requires me to use blocks...namely for reasons stated above.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 05:04:02 am »

Constructing walls with blocks takes less time on the construction and more time on the mason beforehand, it doubles value and it's easier.

Boulders will create 'rough' walls, are worth less and take more time for the construction workers.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 06:17:28 am »

Oh yes I was wrong you can't engrave those. Strange why do I remember engraving blocks...

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 03:58:29 pm »

You can carve fortifications out of constructed walls, but it doesn't matter if they are block walls or stone walls.
Pages: [1] 2