Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Backpack Woes  (Read 2073 times)

Backpack Woes
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:51:28 pm »

P>Iron Long Sword Right Hand>"You don't have a suitable container."
D>Iron Long Sword Right Hand>"You drop an Iron Long Sword."
G>Iron Long Sword>"You pick up an Iron Long Sword and put it in your alpaca wool backpack."

This shit happens all the freaking time. If I am holding an item and try to put it in a container, even an empty one, I get the no suitable container message. But if I drop it then pick it up, he puts it in the main backpack. This happens right after creating the character, too, when there are only 2 items in the backpack (food and a knife).

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Backpack Woes
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 05:45:51 pm »

backbacksa re broken because you can hold infinite  items of same time in it not crutchs thou X.X
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:15:31 pm »

That's not true.

There is a limit to how many items of the same type will fit; but for most things, it is a very large quantity. You can, for example, fit about 1500 of the same type of coin in a bag; any more items after that and the bag for all intents and purposes is full.

The only bug I am seeing is that I can not place items from my hand into an empty bag. I have to drop the item then pick it up to have it placed in the bag.

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 06:39:15 pm »

really? i have a backpack loaded with like 100+ weopens for throwing haha and i still pick stuff up and theres a bug with crutches that u automaticvally equip them and cant put them away

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:23:45 am »

Backpacks, bags, etc currently only hold a limited volume of items (not a limited number), and a sword is rather large so it might not fit in a bag even if the bag is empty.  The volumes of items are currently not handled very well by the game, so things that seem like they should fit (such as a sword into an empty bag) may not work. 

Backpacks are currently bugged (possibly intentionally to get around the weird volume issues?) so that any item you pick up from the ground will go into your backpack if you don't have a free hand, regardless of whether there is any space inside your backpack.  However, if you try to put away an item you have in your hand, you will need to have a container with enough free space.  As you have noted, you can get around this by just dropping things and then picking them up again.

Baradrim

• Escaped Lunatic
  • When Urist McBerserk Meets Urist McMelancholy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 02:36:13 pm »

I have a sword in backpack.
E - "You have nothing to equip".
D - "You drop the Silver Scimitar"
G - "You pick up the Silver Scimitar with your right hand."

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 05:24:46 pm »

You would use 'r' in that situation to remove the scimitar.

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 06:36:32 pm »

really? i have a backpack loaded with like 100+ weopens for throwing haha and i still pick stuff up and theres a bug with crutches that u automaticvally equip them and cant put them away

I have noticed some buggy behavior with crutch use, in that if you do something that takes one out of your hand other than drop it (i.e., throw or put away a crutch from your hand) you still count as having a crutch for the purposes of being able to stand with one leg, training crutch-walker, and speed penalties.
If you are missing a foot, this can be useful for freeing up a hand (not that you can't fit a weapon/crutch/shield in one hand anyway). Otherwise it's annoying. To turn invisible crutch mode off, just get one in your hand and then drop it.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 10:04:09 pm »

You would use 'r' in that situation to remove the scimitar.

That and "E" is to Eat, not Wear. ;)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 12:54:32 am »

backbacksa re broken because you can hold infinite  items of same time in it not crutchs thou X.X

Awesome grammar there. You get one artifact book about "urist mccheesemaker my only fault" as an award for it.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 08:52:25 am »

[UTTERANCES]