Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress copy: A game of dwarves  (Read 5254 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress copy: A game of dwarves
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 07:15:16 am »

Read the article, it's not really like Dwarf Fortress at all.

The guy digs straight down in the hopes of finding something to write about, doesn't have any military at all, and hits an Orc cave at the bottom level.  Then the Orcs start pouring up the shaft, and he bands together a makeshift army, loses a few, and stops the invasion.

Needs I remind, if this was a DF clone, he would have immediately died a !!FUN!! death from doing something that reckless.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:16:47 am by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

laijka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 02:23:25 pm »

Also I know paradox is the publisher.....i was just too lazy to actually find the name of the developer.

Then don't write a name at all.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 02:38:17 pm »

Nothing can ever reach 'Dwarf Fortress' itself, except Dwarf Fortress. Imagine DF being a published game by some Publisher (once it reaches gold status of course, never forget, it's still an alpha) and now think about ALL the features you would lose.

Yes, we may lose like 80% of DF. 20% are put into 'new' games with shiney interfaces and 3D gfx just to make the gfx geeks happy.

Anyways, who cares? They may copy the general idea, which isn't new, but they will never get what we have with this little jewel here.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 05:19:51 pm »

Since no one has done so yet and the topic is still alive I shall post the link to our local, unofficial official game of dwarves topic in which a couple of the developers pop in to chat and recieve feedback and answer questions.
It's FEF, not FEOF

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 05:44:08 pm »

I may just be rambling here, but couldn't that game be used as basically an introduction into dwarf fortress?  Such as, people begin by playing that game, and when they think the game is far too easy, DF players introduce them to DF, a far more difficult game that is basically about the same thing, and get a few of those people hooked to this game.  Using that logic, we could use this game as a route to DF conversion.  Possibly.

By that logic, DungeonKeeper would be a good introduction to Dwarf Fortress.

I know you were being sarcastic, but this is actually a good idea. In fact I played Dungeon Keeper long before I discovered DF, and thats probably partly responsable for my initial interest in the game.

As for something ever copying DF, I doubt that's even possible, as has already been said, the shear complexity of DF makes it nigh uncopyable, and anything that comes off of it would either be only a shell of a game or would have to add it's own flavor. Toady has nothing to worry about, and neither do we.

Gus979

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 07:48:38 pm »

I may just be rambling here, but couldn't that game be used as basically an introduction into dwarf fortress?  Such as, people begin by playing that game, and when they think the game is far too easy, DF players introduce them to DF, a far more difficult game that is basically about the same thing, and get a few of those people hooked to this game.  Using that logic, we could use this game as a route to DF conversion.  Possibly.

By that logic, DungeonKeeper would be a good introduction to Dwarf Fortress.

This game is more like DungeonKeeper than Dwarf Fortress. The only difference, really, is the theme and setting. The gameplay is almost identical.

I miss dungeon keeper... one day... maybe when I'm super old they will decide to finally make DK3

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 08:01:01 pm »

I miss dungeon keeper... one day... maybe when I'm super old they will decide to finally make DK3

It just takes a team with the money and will to do it. under a diffrent namespace ofcourse.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 11:37:49 am »

hey relax guys
 I only put the title up to bring the understanding that a game similar to DF exists not so much as "GAWD THEY COPIED TOADYS WORK LAMMEEE!"
Is that why the thread is called "Dwarf fortress copy: A game of dwarves"? That's exactly what you were drawing attention to.

To be fair though, this is a hard thread topic to search for. "Game" and "dwarves" aren't exactly the most unique words to put into the search filter, so it's actually a little difficult to find the other AGoD threads. Not much of an excuse, but it's something.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 12:49:36 pm »

Searching for "a game of dwarves" (with quotes) gets this thread, nine other threads that are actually about game of dwarves, a few threads that mention it in passing, and maybe two unrelated results, in just the first page of results.
Pages: 1 [2]