Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: ArmageddonMUD - Low-Magic, Permadeath, Desert Themed, RPI MUD  (Read 21817 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: ArmageddonMUD - Low-Magic, Permadeath, Desert Themed, RPI MUD
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2012, 11:14:42 am »

I know we are probably not supposed to discuss this, but how can I fil these water skins? That should be kinda easy to find out in a town, dont you think?
I got nothing

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2012, 11:26:03 am »

So then what's the validity of a ranger just living in the wilderness full time?

As Muz said, it's fully possible.  I'd recommend you wait until you've played a few characters first, and it might be worthwhile trying to drag a few characters along with you.  It'd be pretty isolated otherwise.  Another possibility is to play a desert elf, although you'll need to either gain some karma or special app for that.

Well I woke up in the desert, not dead. I wandered a bit and found the road again. realizing my water was going to run out, I made my way back to town after fighting a beetle (and fleeing) and finally the Storms Eye Tavern. No live players I think.

I wandered around town, bought lots of cakes, a scimitar, and some empty waterskins. Cant find a place to fill those yet. I am emoting around town but nobody seems to be a living person, just NPCs I think.

I hope to be able to make the trip across the desert, if only I knew which way to walk down the road. Kinda weird because I should be able to ask any NPC but I cant cuz the game doesnt work that way.

Yeah, wishing up may be helpful here.  Allanak is almost directly north of Red Storm, and maybe a little to the west.  Good luck!

I know we are probably not supposed to discuss this, but how can I fil these water skins? That should be kinda easy to find out in a town, dont you think?

I've never actually played down there myself but according to a friend of mine they sell water in the market, possibly in the south-west section.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2012, 12:35:30 pm »

There's a temple in the center, that sells water, I think, although I don't think I've actually needed to drink any water or fill any waterskins yet.

Also, a question. How exactly will most people react if I just go to their table and ask them if they know of any jobs around, or something like that?

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2012, 01:11:31 pm »

I hope to be able to make the trip across the desert, if only I knew which way to walk down the road.

Do try to avoid the specifics of your character, for future reference.  Like others have said, this might be an appropriate thing to wish up for.

You would "wish all <message>".  You would be asking for staff to please animate an NPC, such as the barkeep, so you could ask directions.  You wouldn't be asking staff directly for directions.

Your character would likely know the "general" map of the world.  Type "help map zalanthas" and it'll give you a very crude ASCII drawing so you might at least get an idea of what direction to go.

Here is a link to the helpfiles.  You can search there, or read any of that ingame by typing "help <topic>."

If you go to the main page (www.armageddon.org), there is a button with a mantis on it at the bottom which directs you to the live helpers.  They're experienced players who can answer questions you might have about syntax, general IC knowledge, etc.  It's a live chat, so if you have a question you need answered quickly, and you simply can't find out yourself, feel free to ask there.

Sorry you're having a tough time!  Some areas of the game are very difficult to live in.

Also, a question. How exactly will most people react if I just go to their table and ask them if they know of any jobs around, or something like that?

The only way to find out is to try.  Taverns are a social place, so it wouldn't be particularly out of the ordinary to ask around for employment opportunity.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:59:03 pm by Feco »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2012, 01:35:34 pm »

Depending on the person they might help you, lie to you, or tell you to bugger off.  Just play it out as your character would and hope for the best.  It might also be worth your time to have a look at the out of character bulletin boards.  They can be found in most taverns and people often post vacancies on them.  If nothing else, they'll help fill you in on recent events and give you a hint on who might be worth contacting to help you find work.  You can find the helpfile on them here.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2012, 05:38:47 pm »

Well, NYAH!

I filled my water skins and head out into the desert alone. I also made it to Allanak so there!

Resting now at the tavern, im in pretty bad shape. lots of action going on here I see.

Any recommendations on scripts or triggers I can grab for MushClient? I keep loosing says and emotes other players are doing, especially in crowded rooms. It would be nice to have chats and emotes in another window, but I am too lazy to custom trigger it up just yet.
I got nothing

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2012, 09:04:02 pm »

I haven't MUD'd much, but most have basic color coding options.  You can do things like "if it begins with /me then put it in red" and such.  I spent a bit of time on Tapestries.  If you know what that is, then you get props and should also be ashamed of yourself.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2012, 07:28:12 am »

Well, NYAH!

I filled my water skins and head out into the desert alone. I also made it to Allanak so there!

Resting now at the tavern, im in pretty bad shape. lots of action going on here I see.

Any recommendations on scripts or triggers I can grab for MushClient? I keep loosing says and emotes other players are doing, especially in crowded rooms. It would be nice to have chats and emotes in another window, but I am too lazy to custom trigger it up just yet.

Well colour me impressed!

I don't really use scripts or triggers, except for spells if I'm playing a magicker.  A nice prompt will help you out though.  I generally have mine displaying current and maximum health, stamina and stun.  Typing 'prompt %h(%H)hp %v(%V)mv %t(%T)st>' will set yours to that, if you want to.  More stuff on prompts, including all the available options.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2012, 04:52:38 pm »

Trying to hop in, then realized "oh yeah I'd need to make an account."  Any advice on... how to be a noob?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2012, 05:04:09 pm »

Trying to hop in, then realized "oh yeah I'd need to make an account."  Any advice on... how to be a noob?

Make lots of mistakes, trust those nice elves, swear at Templars, app a dwarf with a beard, get lost in the wilderness, forget to draw your weapons before a fight, be nice to a magicker.  Maybe I misunderstood your question here :-[

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2012, 05:05:15 pm »

How do I connect to the server? >.>  I got MUSHclient as in the OP but when I try to connect it times out.  Armagedon trouble or am I unfamiliar with how these work?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2012, 05:20:29 pm »

It seems to be running fine for me, so it might be something on your end.

In Mushclient, click File>New World.

Set the World Name to 'Armageddon' (without quotes), TCP/IP address to 'armageddon.org' (also without quotes), and port number to 4050.

It might be worth going to File>Global Preferences and setting it to open Arm on startup, as well as making sure the other settings are to your liking.

Did that fix your problem?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2012, 05:28:28 pm »

Seems my problem may have been that I was including http:\\www... and all that in the address.  When I did armageddon.org it connected just fine, though it did time me out and disconnect me as I'm still reading.  Any general advice on how to roll a thief?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2012, 05:46:00 pm »

Read the Thief's Bible, think about which stats to prioritise and remember that you can reroll if they turn out terrible.  Read through the relevant documentation on a few sub/guilds and see which one fits most closely with your concept.  Make sure that there is a reason your character has chosen this path and roleplay accordingly.  Above all, remember that there's more to being a thief than having a high steal skill, some of the most profitable thefts require no commands other than 'emote' and 'say'.

If you're a Tuluki, I'd highly recommend obtaining a license from the Templarate.  If you're an Allanaki it would be a very bad idea to tell a Templar about your less than legal activities, unless they happen to be open to bribery, which they may very well be.

Lastly, be prepared to face the consequences of being caught ;)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2012, 06:04:42 pm »

Seems my problem may have been that I was including http:\\www... and all that in the address.  When I did armageddon.org it connected just fine, though it did time me out and disconnect me as I'm still reading. 

This is because a client like you're using doesn't use http protocal, as it's not a web connection. :P Trips up a lot of people, though. It will /sometimes/ work the "www" - that's just a routing thing, and the server could handle it however, it doesn't actually mean anything beyond what the name hosts say, but the http thing will cause lots of stuff to choke.

None of which, I'm sure, you care about!

Meanwhile, I'm still resisting the Siren's call. I've officially told myself I might give it another go after I beat Crawl. And since that is, as near I can tell, impossible for me, I should be alright.

But stranger things have happened...

Can we post here about potential character concepts? I mean, even /if/ I end up playing one, its not like anyone would know they were me. And they definitely wouldn't be "as appeared", I'm just wondering about viability and potential fun factor.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7