Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: ArmageddonMUD - Low-Magic, Permadeath, Desert Themed, RPI MUD  (Read 21822 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ArmageddonMUD - Low-Magic, Permadeath, Desert Themed, RPI MUD
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 10:13:58 am »

Heh. Just had a lot more fun as a generic if somewhat stupid Mook than my deep in-depth backstory dude with his own motivations and passions and beliefs and interests, because Mr.Mook didn't keep tripping up over all this stuff he was supposed to know but didn't. Mr.Mook ended up feeling more like part of the world than the other guy, even though the other guys backstory was created to fit everything I could scrounge from the docs on-site.

After the both of them, though, I think I might be capable of something quite a bit deeper (without ending up basing my character around something impossible within the system).

Is there actually a way to add descriptions to items? I guess that's all I would have really needed in the end, but it didn't seem possible, and that seemed a bit weird. I just wanted to draw pictures on all that paper I bought, damn it. :(

All my attempts to get people to play Armageddon were killed by having first tried to get them to play HellMoo. They no longer trusted my opinion after that.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 10:21:17 am »

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?arrange

Code: [Select]
arrange paper (scribbling furiously) A crudely drawn image of the Dragon is displayed on ~
You would have to repeat this command whenever you moved the paper though.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 10:23:27 am »

Ah, yeah, guess that would work for like signs and stuff.

Not so much for stuff thats supposed to be passed around. :P

Pretty cool, though, wish I'd known about that before. Could have at least had some fun with it.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 10:46:59 am »

Heh. Just had a lot more fun as a generic if somewhat stupid Mook than my deep in-depth backstory dude with his own motivations and passions and beliefs and interests, because Mr.Mook didn't keep tripping up over all this stuff he was supposed to know but didn't. Mr.Mook ended up feeling more like part of the world than the other guy, even though the other guys backstory was created to fit everything I could scrounge from the docs on-site.

After the both of them, though, I think I might be capable of something quite a bit deeper (without ending up basing my character around something impossible within the system).

Is there actually a way to add descriptions to items? I guess that's all I would have really needed in the end, but it didn't seem possible, and that seemed a bit weird. I just wanted to draw pictures on all that paper I bought, damn it. :(

All my attempts to get people to play Armageddon were killed by having first tried to get them to play HellMoo. They no longer trusted my opinion after that.

Thats what I do, being used to these RP intensive games with complex worlds, I always start with a lower intelligence meat shield type or if I can figure it out, a stranger from another place.

For Armageddon, I went with meat shield. It took quite a while for my app to be approved, but it is. I am ready to go in and see for myself. Maybe sometime late tonight or tomorrow I can make it.
I got nothing

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 12:33:45 pm »

Bow to only Nobles and Templar down south, don't bow to anyone up north.  Don't trust an elf or a magicker.  Be as racist and xenophobic as you can.

If you can remember that, everything else will come natural.  Read the docs that apply to your character, and you'll be fine (just look at city, and if non-human, race doc.)

Even though the world, and characters are not forgiving, our players generally are.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 12:58:07 pm »

Arm 2?  Care to elaborate?

Also, to what extent should someone expect interaction with a staff member?  Do they act as a DM of sort, or is it more obscured than that?

Armageddon had some legal trouble for taking the Dark Sun theme, so they decided to make another game. Armageddon 2's feature list is pretty damn awesome, since Arm's codebase is quite aged and messy. But they've been quite split in attention, with the top staff members building the culture, history, rooms, etc for Arm 2.

Not exactly a DM. They do 'animate' random NPCs, who'd sometimes have a chat with you and such. Many of them like to animate mounts, since it doesn't require any character research. I had quite a bit of fun once with a bored off-peak staff member who animated every NPC around me while I was playing a thief.

If you play the game seriously, they get very immersed with you... you're encouraged to write weekly 'character reports' with random things like what you want your character to accomplish, what they've done, etc, so that they could work together with other characters and create some kind of plot.

The thing is, I don't want to waste my time drafting a character, figuring everything out along the way and find that there is something in which completely turns me off (read: fast travel or some similar shit).  I don't care about the inner-workings of how damage is dealt or anything like that.  My question is more about MUDs MOOs, whatever in general, and how Armageddon relates to the other systems.  Like I said, I have no concept of how everything works in these types of games.  I mean, I understand that you may not want to talk about it, but I don't really have the will to dive into something unless I feel like it's going to meet certain standards; forgive me if asking about such things is taboo.  There is a pretty hefty amount of effort that goes into making even a throwaway character which is why I don't really want to commit to doing so without feeling confident that it won't be a waste of time.

Even say, a link to a video of a similar MUD or some-such would be great.  Anything that will show what happens with a character when moving, exploring, getting attacked, etc. would be fantastic.

I thought you were asking for a wiki or something... no such thing :P

There's logs if you want to see the gameplay. Um.. hard to explain, but Arm players love DF, and DF players like Arm. Philosophically, the game is designed to kill you. You have to work with other people just to survive. No solo grinding here.

Code base is much like a typical MUD - north, east, look north, kill monster. Battles are pretty straightforward, you just watch text scroll, and type flee if your hitpoints are low. Sneaking and stealth is very strongly incorporated into the game if you like that kind of thing. Playing an assassin/thief/burglar is extremely rewarding, provided you have the patience to not let them die. If you don't have the patience, warriors kick ass right from the start, and much later in the game, but they don't have a lot of fun skills. Though the game is not at all about winning with skills - you'll find that most of the fun is in the politics, etc.

If you're wondering if it's worth trying - it is. I can say this is the best game out there for a RP lover, assuming you don't mind that the game tries to kill you, you don't mind that the average character is a villain, and you don't mind spending a hell lot of time on it. And that you don't mind reading a lot of text and using your imagination.

A dwarven 'rinther, for example, is not the best starting character - the documentation on the website doesn't even begin to prepare you for that. :P

Lies :P My second character was a dwarven 'rinther. He lived long enough that I think I've met just about most of the main Arm players with him. Eventually stored him though, because his focus was too tiring OOC.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 01:10:47 pm »

Keyword there: SECOND. :P

I should note that he never actually got killed (though I did march directly out into the desert the last time I played before logging off, so I wouldn't say he lived, either). I scraped by, but had a lot of trouble with the fact that my approved focus was literally impossible due to the mechanics of the game, and the 'rinth was pretty intimidating for a new character. Ah well, live and learn. It was actually fun.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:15:26 pm by GlyphGryph »

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 01:13:46 pm »

I'm on lunch break so I don't have the time to write in response to all the answers, but I wanted to say thanks and also accept whomever wishes to send me privately, or, maybe more to the benefit of others, post publicly some of your logs...  I don't know if that's allowed, but I'll just ignorantly putting it out there.

Lies :P My second character was a dwarven 'rinther. He lived long enough that I think I've met just about most of the main Arm players with him. Eventually stored him though, because his focus was too tiring OOC.

What do you mean you stored him?  Does the PC turn NPC or does it disappear forever?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 01:24:23 pm »

'Storing' a character is something staff will do on request.  It basically means they vanish as a PC, but from an in character perspective they're assumed to still be around the place 'virtually'.  It allows you to make a new PC if you get bored of your current one, without having to come up with some lame excuse for them to commit suicide.

I'll have a gander to see what non-sensitive logs I still have floating around, but there's no guarantee I'll have anything particularly good.  We're not meant to share IC events that happened within the last RL year and I think I only started keeping logs a little longer ago than that.  You can find quite a few over here if you're interested.

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 01:48:55 pm »

I'll also take a gander at my log file, and see if I have anything interesting.  Gimme a bit, just got out of an exam.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 07:51:50 pm »

Alright, you've got me interested.  I only wonder: Are the controls taboo?  If I get on and fumble "how do I walk?" will I receive help or is that "ooc information is forbidden"?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 11:26:10 pm »

I logged in for the first time, walked around some small town and didnt see anyone who I thought might be a human player, then was killed by an elf in an alley. I kinda felt like I had nothing to do, and nothing is really drawing me back in. How many people actually play this? Seemed pretty empty to me.
I got nothing

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 11:34:44 pm »

Girlinhat, I think generally asking ooc questions like that of staff is fine (though they won't always answer if they think theres some IC reason you should have to figure it out. Which I couldn't see in your example).

There documentation is also good enough to cover that.

I'm /almost/ considering picking this up again. It will be nice to play a game that's a lot more gentle and forgiving than my usual fare, and which a much higher life expectancy to boot.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:25:09 am by GlyphGryph »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 06:49:36 am »

Alright, you've got me interested.  I only wonder: Are the controls taboo?  If I get on and fumble "how do I walk?" will I receive help or is that "ooc information is forbidden"?

The controls aren't exactly a huge secret :p

You use the command 'wish all [question]' to ask a staff member questions, use the helper chat or read the documentation.  There is a list of basic commands right here.  I'm also willing to help out anyone via Steam chat (http://steamcommunity.com/id/lordcooper), but I'd ask that you keep questions as vague as possible and try to to reveal any IC info to me.  Oh, if you really need to ask another player something, using 'ooc [yo dude, how do I walk]' will bypass the language code and show them that it's you asking, not your character.

I logged in for the first time, walked around some small town and didnt see anyone who I thought might be a human player, then was killed by an elf in an alley. I kinda felt like I had nothing to do, and nothing is really drawing me back in. How many people actually play this? Seemed pretty empty to me.

04/27/2012: Approx 325 unique, non-staff accounts have have logged in over the last 30 days -- Nessalin

The 'who' command will tell you how many players are currently online at any one time.  What time did you log in?  I'm gonna assume you started out in the 'Rinth which is a place I can't really recommend newbies go, as it's basically hard mode.  Allanak and Tuluk are the major population centres and the places where you can generally be sure of finding a lot of active roleplay.  I'd also recommend people stick with humans for their first couple of characters, a lot of the other races are victim to a lot of prejudice.

It will be nice to play a game that's a lot more gently and forgiving than my usual fare, and which a much higher life expectancy to boot.

Now you just have to tell what you've been playing that's harsher :p

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 09:59:47 am »

It will be nice to play a game that's a lot more gentle and forgiving than my usual fare, and which a much higher life expectancy to boot.
From what i've read in this thread, this game is absolutely not forgiving or gentle.
So this post confuses me.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7