Both, because I love everyone
- 29 (28.2%)
Neither, because I hate everyone
- 6 (5.8%)
Adorable Kittens
- 16 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most trival vote ever  (Read 4043 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most trival vote ever
« on: May 01, 2012, 09:26:50 am »

Doing a succession fort with two other guys, and it turns out they both use arrow keys instead of numpad.  I'm wondering if I'm a freak for using numpad.

Plus I can't sleep.

Edit:  Finally fell asleep and slept like 11 hours.  Plus I have ham.  So it's all good.
Have some more options.  Vote reset to make someone happy, and someone else unhappy, and stuff.  Ham!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:05:05 am by kingubu »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Most trival vote ever
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:47:13 am »

I alternate between using both.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:52:17 am »

You need another option, "both." I picked numpad as I use it for most stuff: single tile movement, as well as z-level increments and secondary movement (i.e. scrolling through lists of items), but I use arrow keys too, have them set to "fast" (I think it's 10 tiles at a time?) cursor movement.

I just hate having to shift/ctrl/alt/whatever+anything (the default way to do 'fast' movement). A keyboard has more than enough keys to have everything in any game assigned to a single keystroke, it's faster.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:55:31 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 10:03:20 am »

Currently, arrows out of necessity. My next laptop will have a full 108 keyboard.  Currently I either manually edit keybindings or use the LNP keymap, or some combination thereof.  I may well switch from arrows to numpad when I migrate to new hardware.

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaughtering elves in low Earth orbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 10:20:03 am »

Usually numpad in adventurer mode, because I don't need to hunt down the period to skip a turn, and because I can move diagonally.

In fortress mode, the above are useless, so it's usually more convenient for me to use the arrow keys (less distance between them).
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 10:34:02 am »

arrow keys for dwarf mode.  They're closer.  Although I'm definitely a num-pad guy in other games, especially where you always need a hand on the numpad.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:48:07 pm »

Numpad, because you can't go diagonal, up or down with the arrows.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 02:59:29 pm »

Numpad. I sometimes drift to the arrows, only to be quickly disappointed by the lack of diagonal movement, as well as the inability to hit things on my own tile in adventure mode.

biomatter

• Bay Watcher
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 03:45:38 pm »

I would be a NumPad guy (I am in other games), but my current laptop keyboard has some key combo... quirks. For example, Shift-NumpadDirection doesn't move me ten blocks unless I let go of shift and then hold it down again. My arrow keys don't have that problem, so I've learned to use them. I switch to the NumPad now and then for diagonals, but it's usually just faster to tap two arrow keys than move my hand away.

I wish there was a way to debug that kind of stuff. If I hold X and C, my Right Arrow key doesn't work... This messes me up in some bullet hell games, such as Warning Forever, but now I'm getting off-topic.
Now you will know why you fear the night!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 04:19:56 pm »

Arrow keys in fortress mode because the time stops there mean diagonals don't really matter.

Numpad in adventure mode because they're required sometimes, and it's generally easier there to use them.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 09:03:36 pm »

Numpad.  I alter the controls, and make 5 be "up (z)", and 0 be "down (z)", and it makes navigation much smoother.  (I tend to make very vertical forts.)

I also need to use the "+-*/" keys in several different kinds of menus, anyway.  Having a hand on the numpad anyway makes that easier. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:13:32 pm »

Numpad.  I alter the controls, and make 5 be "up (z)", and 0 be "down (z)", and it makes navigation much smoother.  (I tend to make very vertical forts.)

I also need to use the "+-*/" keys in several different kinds of menus, anyway.  Having a hand on the numpad anyway makes that easier.

... this might actually convert me. That sounds really convenient.
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:35:34 pm »

I would be a NumPad guy (I am in other games), but my current laptop keyboard has some key combo... quirks. For example, Shift-NumpadDirection doesn't move me ten blocks unless I let go of shift and then hold it down again.

It's not your keyboard. I have that same issue with shift-moving on my regular keyboard; using the numpad OR the arrows.

The other thing you mentioned though is also fairly normal for games. Most games don't like it when you have more than 3 buttons pressed in my experience.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 11:08:52 pm »

Regular keyboards are not designed to be used for games and have several limitations on the number and position of keys pressed simultaneously. Real gaming keyboards don't have these issues.

I use arrow keys because I'm too used to the wasd layout.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 12:16:02 am »

Kittens!!!![/color]
No really I just use the arrow keys and just hit both the up or down key and the left or right for diagonal. I'm surprised no one else uses it that way?
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.
Pages: [1] 2