Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Most Useful Dwarven Child  (Read 5266 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Useful Dwarven Child
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 05:56:25 pm »

The reason for the bug where migrants migrate to the fortress as overage children is (IIRC) because they're historical migrants who WERE children when worldgen ended, but then time passed and, because they weren't being simulated, they didn't turn into grown-ups.

I have no idea. To my knowledge, children not having jobs is hard-coded--or, rather, not being able to change jobs in-game is hard-coded. That's why DwaThr would allow kids to be assigned labors. It's likely not the mod part that matters, nor the mithril pick part. I...really don't have a clue what the cause of this could be,if not DwaThr.

Don't forget, this kid was three when she migrated to the fortress.
However, the cause may be the automatic designation of labors on migrants with a high enough skill level in the labor the skill is used for.  She DID come with skilled in mining, engraving, masonry, gem cutting, gem setting, stone crafting, and mechanics.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 09:08:49 am »

E: Oops, wrong thread.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 12:02:36 am »

Mithrill <<
Its the Masterwork mod probably (the same I use).
The masterwork mod also adds some Castes.

Modded castes have the capability to make new-borns come with some skills already trained leveled and most of the time Turned On!

That child must be of some caste like "Natural Stonecrafter" or something like that.
Can you use dwarf therapist to see wich caste the child is? Just hover the mouse over the child name.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 09:26:25 pm »

Mithrill <<
Its the Masterwork mod probably (the same I use).
The masterwork mod also adds some Castes.

Modded castes have the capability to make new-borns come with some skills already trained leveled and most of the time Turned On!

That child must be of some caste like "Natural Stonecrafter" or something like that.
Can you use dwarf therapist to see wich caste the child is? Just hover the mouse over the child name.

It is actually regen.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 01:39:43 pm »

i think i know why your child is mining (the child does as he pleases)
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 06:42:33 pm »

The reason for the bug where migrants migrate to the fortress as overage children is (IIRC) because they're historical migrants who WERE children when worldgen ended, but then time passed and, because they weren't being simulated, they didn't turn into grown-ups.

I have no idea. To my knowledge, children not having jobs is hard-coded--or, rather, not being able to change jobs in-game is hard-coded. That's why DwaThr would allow kids to be assigned labors. It's likely not the mod part that matters, nor the mithril pick part. I...really don't have a clue what the cause of this could be,if not DwaThr.

Don't forget, this kid was three when she migrated to the fortress.
However, the cause may be the automatic designation of labors on migrants with a high enough skill level in the labor the skill is used for.  She DID come with skilled in mining, engraving, masonry, gem cutting, gem setting, stone crafting, and mechanics.
Ah, that must be it!

Which never means swinging heavy metal picks at hard rock walls. Usually.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 07:28:03 pm »

[/quote]

i thought he was a dwarf not an elf
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 07:30:17 pm »

Wait wait wait...

DIAL-UP STILL EXISTS?!

in the clouds of doomed to be bankedrupt companys

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 07:38:10 pm »

[/quote]
An average pick probably weighs at least half as much as an average dwarven child. You try lifting a big, heavy (say...100 lbs, or around 46 kg, by my mental math) pick and using it to dig a tunnel in hard rock. While deep underground, and while your friends play around and the legendary miner who just got off break is glaring at you because he wants his pick back, dammit.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 07:44:06 pm »

You do realize our picks weigh only about 10 pounds at the most?
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".
And so dwarf fortress solves yet another of lifes great mysteries.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 07:59:13 pm »

An average pick probably weighs at least half as much as an average dwarven child. You try lifting a big, heavy (say...100 lbs, or around 46 kg, by my mental math) pick and using it to dig a tunnel in hard rock. While deep underground, and while your friends play around and the legendary miner who just got off break is glaring at you because he wants his pick back, dammit.
[/quote]

The leg. miner is probably proud at a useful child instead of what he normally sees.

You do realize our picks weigh only about 10 pounds at the most?

That is why she is multi-grasping the pick.
Pages: 1 [2]