Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Easiest method of child removal?  (Read 1636 times)

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
Easiest method of child removal?
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:44:13 pm »

I'm having a large problem, children. Just everywhere, so I have to ask, what's the easiest way to get rid of the FPS leeches? First to tackle the problem of regular children, how can I easiest remove them? If I could get them locked into a room I could starve them out, but the babies, how can I separate them from their mothers? I know from reading around that they wilt away like unwatered flowers, but how to do that for a lazy person? I'm too incompetent to set up a weak water flow. I have a minotaur if that can be used for additional fun.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Easiest method of child removal?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 05:48:05 pm »

I do three things, usually two at any one fort. 1: Drop them from high up into the dining room to harden everyone, the one or two survivors train my medidorfs. 2: Danger room for kids, the most lethal kind. with real weapons. 3. I let my military breed as rampantly as it likes. The more the better. It makes snatchers decloak in the middle of the barracks (usually near the entrance), it makes babies impromptu bludgeons or shields in a pinch and best of all, the cloud of parasitic children distract gobbos for long enough that while trying to kill children the military catches up and murders the gobbos.

This slaughter needs balancing with masterwork meals and fancy rooms, but the happiness dent from the wanton murder of babies doesn't dent the place much. When in doubt wall a vampire noble somewhere as contingency!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 06:11:11 pm »

Wait 12 years. They won't be children anymore.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:12:58 pm »

babies can be separated from their mothers by forcing them to swim.

the best way to remove children is to atom-smash them, as i understand it. or dump them in magma. the key is to ensure that the body is never found, which will just leave them as permanently "missing" and prevents them from being considered dead by their friends and family, thus preventing tantrum spirals (iirc, children will mostly respect burrows, so if you make a burrow for them and designate a meeting hall there, you should be able to atom-smash them or drop them from a retracting bridge to a horrible firey death no problem. note that if you throw them into a volcano, they will also likely explore the magma sea for you a little bit. before they get to that horrible firey death part of things, of course.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:27:43 pm »

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:0:0] in d_init should stop all future children from being born in your fortress. Then just atom smash any that migrate in.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:02:43 pm »

There were some pretty good suggestions in response to the same question I asked not long ago, if that helps.

Recently, I played a world with 50 years of history, and my migrant waves were full of children.  They made up 25% of my fortress population.  So, I started shuffling them off to a special magma chamber.  I tried to space out their deaths to avoid tantrums, but wasn't entirely successful on that account.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:18:59 pm »

All children love The Circus; and Clowns.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 11:10:57 pm »

Heh. I tried dumping a buncha kids in a volcano. I think one dodged when the bridge retracted, because I got several "found dead" messages.

Off-topic, I also just got a found dead message from a dog that dodged into the volcano...Message re-centered me to the SMR...

As far as hardening dwarves, killing their kids is kind of a sucky way to do it;-) I just got a migrant with no compassion, "Not affected by the suffering of others." Wish I could mod that into all my migrants:p

Most on-topic part: Change your child-cap settings. Default 100/1000 allows up to 100 kids at a time, regardless of your pop cap. Mine's 10/25. Still goes over occasionally, child migrant or multiple pregnancies just shy of the cap, but it usually stays pretty close, no more than 17 or 18. (popcap 40 to keep total pop under 100)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 11:21:24 pm »

If you atom-smash the kids one at a time somewhere where no-one can see them, and then slab them after the "missing for a week" message but before a ghost appears, they will stay missing forever and no bad thoughts will happen. The parents won't notice.

Magmodeus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 11:24:37 pm »

You take the classic way, magma. Magma solves everything, including magma. You can also make them become cavern explorers and noble trap testers.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 01:23:06 am »

As far as hardening dwarves, killing their kids is kind of a sucky way to do it;-) I just got a migrant with no compassion, "Not affected by the suffering of others." Wish I could mod that into all my migrants:p
Actually that's fairly easy to do. Just add [PERSONALITY:SYMPATHY:0:0:0] to the end of the dwarven entry and all of your future dwarves (whether migrants or born) will have that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 01:39:44 am »

Actually that's fairly easy to do. Just add [PERSONALITY:SYMPATHY:0:0:0] to the end of the dwarven entry and all of your future dwarves (whether migrants or born) will have that.

*disturbing laughter*
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 01:49:32 am »

Mod the raws so your dwarfs will eat sentients, then kill/ butcher them and make master work meals, thus providing food, and the meals will counter the bad thoughts of loosing the child

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 01:56:38 am »

So... how will they be different from goblins and the HFS then ? We need a clear moral scale !

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 01:58:18 am »

Heh. I tried dumping a buncha kids in a volcano. I think one dodged when the bridge retracted, because I got several "found dead" messages.

did you dump them all at once, perchance? they may have "found" one another dead on the way down... or if they didn't burn away at the bottom before sending in the next one (that would be the drawback to the part where throwing a person into a volcano scouts the magma sea...)