Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So, picking war animals here.  (Read 4387 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
So, picking war animals here.
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:57:08 pm »

The question is, Dogs or Goats? Goats, from my understanding, have those little lightsaber-like things on there legs (hooves), while dogs might be able to simply swarm better. I personaly find the idea of wargoats to be intreging, but I knew that someone else may have a better idea on them.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: So, picking war animals here.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:01:10 pm »

Tweaking the creature raws a tad so that gigantification doesn't delete pet, pet_exotic, and trainable, (allows giant versions of trainable creatures to be trainable) I now have Giant War Lions!

Haven't had the chance to see how goblin munchie they are yet, since invaders are off until population improves (no migrants, ever. Long story.)  But from what I see, it should be glorious.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 03:05:20 pm »

If you want hoofed grazing animals war water buffalos would probably be a fair bit deadlier, though they would eat a lot of grass.  Pigs are slightly larger than goats, don't graze, have hooves, and are cuter anyways, without the unnerving tendency to stare at you.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 03:44:42 pm »

Tweaking the creature raws a tad so that gigantification doesn't delete pet, pet_exotic, and trainable, (allows giant versions of trainable creatures to be trainable) I now have Giant War Lions!

Haven't had the chance to see how goblin munchie they are yet, since invaders are off until population improves (no migrants, ever. Long story.)  But from what I see, it should be glorious.

Giant Lions have always been trainable as much as lions
Giant animals have a "copy tags from base animal", and have some tags added or removed. If lions are trainable, so are giant ones.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 03:51:05 pm »

Giant animals have a "copy tags from base animal", and have some tags added or removed. If lions are trainable, so are giant ones.

Actually, Giant Lions are one of the few giant creatures that don't use the creature variation templates.  They've been around since before creature variations were put in the game, so they are still defined from scratch.  And they do have [TRAINABLE], so you can have War Giant Lions without modding.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 04:39:47 pm »

If you want hoofed grazing animals war water buffalos would probably be a fair bit deadlier, though they would eat a lot of grass.  Pigs are slightly larger than goats, don't graze, have hooves, and are cuter anyways, without the unnerving tendency to stare at you.

War boars are cooler. And they're in upper case.

UPPER CASE.

LOOK AT DOSE GRAPHICS.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:03:30 pm »

Actually, Giant Lions are one of the few giant creatures that don't use the creature variation templates.  They've been around since before creature variations were put in the game, so they are still defined from scratch.  And they do have [TRAINABLE], so you can have War Giant Lions without modding.

This was not my experience.

World was genned from vanilla .34.02 raws.  Giant lions use the CV raw. By default, removes trainable, and pet tags.  Giant lions weren't trainable.  I poked the CV raw to stop removing the pet and trainable tokens. This made the giant versions of trainable creatures remain trainable.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:13:15 pm »

I just checked a vanilla download of DF 34.07.  CREATURE:LION_GIANT is defined in creature_savage_tropical.txt, and does not use the creature variation system.  My archive copy of DF34.02 vanilla is the same.  I don't think you're using vanilla raws.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 05:18:57 pm »

That's bizzare.  I don't download modpacks other than the ironhand graphics pack.

I distinctly recall not having the train option on my giant lions until after modding the cv raw.

I will check the savage creature raws for a giant lion entry though.

*edit*

Savage tropical creature does hard code the giant lion entity. I am really confused now, because I couldn't set up training them until after the CV raw mod.

Should I do some science with screenshots?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:21:02 pm by wierd »

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 05:22:29 pm »

Howl Howl Howl and let slip the goats of war!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 05:27:04 pm »

Isn't that "cry "havok!" And let slip the dogs of war!" ?

Google seems to say yes.

In other pointless musings.... did toady take the "goats will eat anything!" Just a little too far with "war goats"?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 05:28:38 pm »

Isn't that "cry "havok!" And let slip the dogs of war!" ?

Google seems to say yes.

In other pointless musings.... did toady take the "goats will eat anything!" Just a little too far with "war goats"?

I was quoting Brian Blessed, narrating a snooker match.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 05:35:45 pm »

Truly this Brian is blessed with such wisdoms.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 05:39:26 pm »

Giant war hamsters. Not the most effective war creature but worth it for the shock value, and the potential that your enemies might either laugh or squee themselves to death at the site of Fluffy, War Hamster of the Apocalypse.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 05:41:50 pm »

Giant war hamsters. Not the most effective war creature but worth it for the shock value, and the potential that your enemies might either laugh or squee themselves to death at the site of Fluffy, War Hamster of the Apocalypse.

Dire capybaras would make me close the game and go weep in the corner.
Pages: [1] 2 3