Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Fool's Art Request Thread  (Read 16077 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Fool's Picture a Day Self-Challenge (May 2012)
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 06:56:33 am »

I'd like to request a happy go lucky human standing tall, wearing a white and red jester hat (white hat, red baubles).
He has red hair and a huge grin, and a small moustache. He stands next to a grumpy, scarred dwarf who holds an arm in his left hand as a weapon. The dwarf has coppery grey hair and a short beard.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 03:06:49 pm »

A demonic penguin.

It might be too demonic.

Spoiler: Penguin Demon!? (click to show/hide)

Anyone want a picture of a Prinny to replace the penguin? Because I could probably do that pretty easily after I come back from work.

On another note it's hard to keep this up. If I have work I can't exactly do this and still see friends or play video games. It's still time consuming... then again that's why I'm doing this. I need to become faster and more efficient.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 03:09:36 pm »

Remember, the point of this is to work faster and TAKE less time doing your images.

Consider working smaller and simpler. Try to spend no more than half an hour for the whole thing?

If you're taking forever to make them, isn't it against the whole reason you made the thread?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 03:19:53 pm »

Doing things the hard way can make you faster at them. I think he's going for being awesome enough at it to do it instantly rather than doing it quicker just on its own.

That said, everyone loves prinnies.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 03:21:57 pm »

It took me about 6 hours to do the beetle (twice the resolution though), 4 hours for the goblin, 3 and a half hours for the dragon, and 3 for the penguin. I'm getting faster, but it's still far from ideal. The problem with a more realistic look is that it tends to take a while to get the shading right. It only takes me about half an hour to get a line art base most of the time. The fact that I've never drawn most of it before really hurts my time.

The reason I made this thread was to speed up the process without losing quality. I wouldn't mind trying a few speed paints a bit further into the challenge, but unless I know the subject well I'll need a reference which might ruin a speedpaint attempt.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 03:24:43 pm »

I think trying to get the best picture possible into the 15 minutes he can wring out of a day would be worthwhile as well, if his goal is really increased speed.

When he has the time, sure, do the more complicated ones, but I just think that days where he /doesn't/ have the time, where he's got external pressures, are a good excuse to really push his quickness (and time planning!) skills to the limit.

Ultimately its up to you though, The Fool, obviously, just a suggestion. :P

But there's definitely an art to drawing quickly, and it doesn't take reducing the quality to do it - though it may require reducing detail levels and changing the style a bit.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 03:54:00 pm »

Anyone want a picture of a Prinny to replace the penguin? Because I could probably do that pretty easily after I come back from work.
Oh hell yes.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 06:17:29 pm »

Oh hells yeah.

Looking to cut some time from drawing? Try to avoid adding little details that haven't been requested, like backgrounds. While they do look nice, if you think you're taking so long to make them, you might as well avoid making stuff like that for now.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 06:20:44 pm »

Also you can probably avoid doing a lot of texture work. Even though it looks nicer, lighting can produce a recognizable effect all on its own.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 07:45:25 pm »

Oh snap, lovely style you've got going! Good luck keeping this going, man. I'll be checking on a daily basis. :D

... This compels me to request a belligerent dorf with a glorious *magma beard*. Just because MAGMA BEARD.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 08:02:19 pm »

Draw a zombie dwarf.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 09:29:16 pm »

Do you do people too? O_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 09:48:40 pm »

A rampaging squid?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 12:09:42 am »

Oh hells yeah.

Spoiler: Don't hurt me, dood! (click to show/hide)

Looking to cut some time from drawing? Try to avoid adding little details that haven't been requested, like backgrounds. While they do look nice, if you think you're taking so long to make them, you might as well avoid making stuff like that for now.

Yeah, I'm avoiding detailed backgrounds. For now I'm sticking to mist, darkness, and solid grey. Once I get faster I'll spend time drawing backgrounds and landscapes, but I don't think that'll happen this month.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 01:30:13 am »

Oh gosh, that looks so adorable. :3
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9