Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 46

Author Topic: When Kickstarter Goes Right  (Read 92703 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter Goes Right
« Reply #495 on: October 27, 2014, 03:07:06 pm »

DAE le technology sucks? the world is ending XDDD

(It was a joke. I very much like having my phone, even if it is a flip phone because that's all I can afford)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 27, 2014, 03:59:45 pm »

i can make fun of things people post without making fun of the posters

i mean considering the topic there may be some perceived overlap

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 04, 2014, 11:24:58 am »

People like books, right?  People like gryphons, yeah?

I've read the first book in the series and it was very well written.  There's a stretch goals on this third book to get audiobook versions done for the series; right now the campaign needs just over $1000 for the first book to get recorded, then $1000 more each for the other two.  Being able to listen to them in the car on my way to/from work would be awesome, as I haven't had the time to sit down and read in...oh, nine months or so (book 2 is sits on my desk, taunting me every day).

The cover art is done by Jennifer Miller (an artist I've been following for years) who also recently won the Federal Duck Stamp contest for this year with a pair of ruddy ducks (making her the third woman and third time ruddy ducks have won in 82 years).  You can also see full-sized versions of the covers on her Deviant Art page.

A Shard of Sun Kickstarter

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 04, 2014, 11:28:05 am »

Not to sound too doubting, but if it's that good how come it hasn't made enough money to cover the costs by itself?

I'm always in the market for a good fantasy book, so I'll look into it, but colour me skeptical to begin with.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 04, 2014, 12:43:19 pm »

Not to sound too doubting, but if it's that good how come it hasn't made enough money to cover the costs by itself?

You mean, why hasn't it hit the $15,000 mark yet?  Likely because like most kickstarters, getting the word out is hard.  The author isn't a "big name" who has a following of a million people, and has to rely on backers spreading the word.  It hit the "the book will be printed" goal in only a day or two, as everyone who read the first two were immediately notified when the campaign started (due to updates posted on the prior two campaigns) and threw money at it as soon as they heard about it.

I'm trying to spread the word, because I liked the book and would love to read the next two, but don't have the time.  So the audio book version really interests me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 04, 2014, 12:49:13 pm »

I think Thief^ is asking "If the books are so good, shouldn't the author have earned enough money on the previous two books to fund the third one without crowdsourcing?".

I'm kinda in the same boat.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 04, 2014, 01:15:06 pm »

I think Thief^ is asking "If the books are so good, shouldn't the author have earned enough money on the previous two books to fund the third one without crowdsourcing?".

The first book paid for itself.  Feel free to look
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jessowen/the-song-of-the-summer-king-in-hardcover

I don't know how much it costs to get a book printed, but I can't imagine that self-publishing costs are terribly low.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 04, 2014, 01:18:30 pm »

I'm kinda in the same boat.

Popular has almost never meant good.

Mind you I know nothing about these books.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 04, 2014, 01:52:51 pm »

Popular has almost never meant good.

And good doesn't imply popular, either.  There's plenty of "good" books that never reach a broad audience.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 10, 2014, 11:36:13 am »

So, remember that 3D printing figurine kickstarter that came up a fair while back?

It's live :D
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 10, 2014, 12:12:20 pm »

So, remember that 3D printing figurine kickstarter that came up a fair while back?

It's live :D

Race selection doesn't even cover all the core races yet, but the interface is pretty slick.  Thanks for the alert.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 10, 2014, 12:13:23 pm »

Awesome :D
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 10, 2014, 12:17:02 pm »

Race selection doesn't even cover all the core races yet, but the interface is pretty slick.  Thanks for the alert.
It's worth noting that race/gender etc... are really just preset combinations of features/sliders.

I imagine the difficulty in other races would be adding distinctly non-humanoid races (eg. dragonborn)
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 10, 2014, 12:31:04 pm »

It's worth noting that race/gender etc... are really just preset combinations of features/sliders.

I imagine the difficulty in other races would be adding distinctly non-humanoid races (eg. dragonborn)

Quote from: email
Note that some features are still on the way, such as the science fiction, cyberpunk, noir, modern, and the east-Asian-Inspired genera, as well as premium parts like mounts and familiars, and the reptilian/half-dragon racial option. That said, Kickstarter fulfillment codes will not expire for a full year, allowing you to save your Kickstarter rewards should you choose to do so. If your pledge tier or add-ons included a mounted miniature, your coupon codes will be distributed in a separate e-mail once the feature goes live.
Though I'm already seeing some sci-fi, modern, and east-asian options, so I'm not quite sure what they're saying here :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 10, 2014, 12:46:36 pm »

I mean that they're not currently available due to the difficulty in creating the asset models necessary.  I'm sure they'll be available eventually once the 3D models have been made and that they're 3D print friendly.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 46