Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46

Author Topic: When Kickstarter Goes Right  (Read 92784 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter Goes Right
« Reply #315 on: March 09, 2013, 11:21:19 pm »

I doubt you could tell me much about Link as a person

Link the Hero of Ages, Time, Seasons, and Man as well as the keeper of the Triforce of Courage. A Young and steadfast warrior.

Bowser has no real reason to kidnap peach, and Mario has no real reason to save her

Unless you play Mario Sunshine...in which the answer to that question becomes quite painful (Sex is involved)

Though another reason is because Bowser is taking over the Mushroom Kingdom and Princess Peach Toadstool is the ruler.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 10, 2013, 10:41:03 am »

Bowser has no real reason to kidnap peach, and Mario has no real reason to save her

Unless you play Mario Sunshine...in which the answer to that question becomes quite painful (Sex is involved)

You know why dragons kidnap princesses, don't you..?

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 10, 2013, 11:19:04 am »

I just played through that a week ago with some friends and the ending shows that Bowser lied to Bowser Jr. about Peach being his mother, and it doesn't really give a reason why they cause so much trouble.
A better example would be Paper Mario perhaps, where Bowser mentions that he is attracted to Peach and is trying to find a way to make her fall in love with him.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 10, 2013, 12:58:34 pm »

As for the quality of the video, I seriously doubt she needed all that money. It' basically the same as her other vids,
Please read the update section of this page to find out why it cost so much.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 10, 2013, 01:21:40 pm »

That link makes an excellent point - if we're talking about a kickstarter project that somebody will work on full-time, you have to realize that you're not just paying for the resources necessary for the project, you're paying that person's salary. Look at how much money you have to spend to make ends meet in a year, and keep in mind the potential for cost-of-living differences. That means the baseline goal for such a project, unless they're already wealthy enough to give up work for several months, is going to be at least a few tens of thousands of dollars, for a project that requires nothing but time. Adding on professional filming and editing and fending off copyright trolls and whatever other resources you need for your particular project, and you can get some pretty high prices for a 30 minute video.

Which I haven't watched yet, so forgive me for not commenting on the actual content*. If there actually isn't much, then I'd say there's a good chance she wound up spending all this time working out how best to use the money to make a professional-looking project so that people wouldn't complain about losing their money, and had less time than she expected to actually prepare content (and given how many complaints there were about how long she was taking, I can't imagine she wasn't feeling pressured to get it out faster). Using money isn't as easy as throwing it at the problem. If her starting goal was $6000, she probably intended to use that money to pay for a little more editing and general polish for a video of a kind she was making in her spare time. Winding up with $150,000 after that, you probably feel kind of obligated to go all-out, get too caught up in pursuing that, and don't have the time you thought you would to work on the content that was actually the point.

Basically, it could be another way that you can poison a kickstarter by giving it too much success.

*My food will be done by the time I finish this post, and then I'll have to eat and do homework until I have to go to work, but I'll get around to it at some point.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 13, 2013, 01:27:18 pm »

$2M kickstarter for a Veronica Mars movie.

Currently on $865,209.
In the time it took me to write that sentence, $865,750.
And now $866,875.

Yeah, this is going to be fun to watch.

And $869,228 now.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #321 on: March 13, 2013, 01:46:25 pm »

I think this could be a really solid avenue for TV shows that the networks cancel / don't pick up that still have a pretty solid fan base. Relatively similar to how Netflix just ran their own show--and from everything I've read did a pretty dang good job of it.

For example, I wonder just how ridiculous a sum of money a Firefly Kickstarter could pull in? Enough to run another season? More? Doubt it will happen--it has just been too long now--but it's still neat to think about for the future.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 13, 2013, 02:38:36 pm »

For example, I wonder just how ridiculous a sum of money a Firefly Kickstarter could pull in? Enough to run another season? More? Doubt it will happen--it has just been too long now--but it's still neat to think about for the future.

Yeah.  Its been too long and half of the actors aren't interested in coming back (IIRC), and Mal is too old now.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 13, 2013, 08:08:05 pm »

Welp just got funded(I was having fun watching the ticker rise by a couple thousand every second :P). I haven't watched Veronica Mars, but I'll just say good for them!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 17, 2013, 01:49:13 am »

*hits head on table*

I was hoping the Anita Feminism and videogames video series would be good... I know youtube needed a well researched and well constructed look into how games are structured and marketed (Ohh dear goodness some of the counter arguements are painful to read/listen/watch they are so terrible if true)

But every second I keep hearing more and more bad things about the video to the extent that I think I may have to finally see it myself and judge it as harshly as possible to see if it goes in Kickstarter goes right or Kickstarter goes wrong.

Though I'll wait until the Damsel in distress section finishes, since frankly MAYBE she does a turn around last second.

Mind you the best thing that happened about this is on another forum we are having a discussion of a possible Zelda game that plays like a strategy / action game.

---

I never seen or really know anything about Veronica Mars

It is an interesting concept getting a movie kickstarted. I hope we see more of this kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:25:20 am by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 17, 2013, 10:56:30 am »

But every second I keep hearing more and more bad things about the video to the extent that I think I may have to finally see it myself and judge it as harshly as possible to see if it goes in Kickstarter goes right or Kickstarter goes wrong.
So this is how I'm reading this:

"I'm going to keep reading opinions of a video even though I know full well that there is a base of people who dedicate their lives to HATE this video, and not actually watch it to see for myself whether their opinions are true or not."

Please tell me if I am wrong.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 17, 2013, 11:40:06 am »

It's really getting difficult to take your opinion on this seriously, Neonivek.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 17, 2013, 12:27:41 pm »

"I'm going to keep reading opinions of a video even though I know full well that there is a base of people who dedicate their lives to HATE this video, and not actually watch it to see for myself whether their opinions are true or not."
1) Opinions can't be proven true or not. They're just opinions.

2) I think it's much quicker to read opinions of a video than to actually sit down and watch a video. And it'll be bad form to force people to watch videos if they receive information from a reliable source that said video is bad and thus should not be watched.

Of course, it is even more quicker to never read the opinions or watch the actual video in the first place.

3) While opinions can be pretty polarized over this video, the argument that there are people out there dedicating their whole lives to hate this video, to the exclusion of everything else about their own personality, is so hyperbolic that it's hard to take it seriously. Granted, I never actually read the opinions (see #2), so maybe there is someone out there who have written:
Before Tropes vs. Women, my life was terrible. I had dropped out of high school and worked at a dead-end minimum wage job at a fast food restaurant, subsiding only on ketchup packages. I didn't know what to do with my life, and even considered just ending it. However, when I heard about this Kickstarter, I knew that there was something out there worth striving for: hating this video. I now had a purpose in my life, and I was ready to dedicate myself fully towards achieving that purpose.

Today, I'm a hedge fund manager making millions of dollars every year, using all my income to help fund the anti-Tropes movement and sponsor yearly Trope Hate-Fests. I'm feeling more successful and pleased with my life, as a result of my hatred. Thanks Tropes vs. Women!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:30:40 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 17, 2013, 12:57:46 pm »

I thought people would be used to my hyperbole now. I guess I was wrong!

Let's start with this.

Actually, let's just leave it at that. I think it speaks mostly for itself. But if you want more, I assure you, I can find more. It's as easy as looking around the internets.

Also, I will edit my original reading to better clarify:

"I'm going to keep reading opinions of a video even though I know full well that there is a base of people who dedicate their time on the internet to HATE this video, and not actually watch it to see for myself whether their opinions are my own, or whether I will regurgitate their opinions as my own having never actually watched it for myself."

It ruins the flow of the statement.  :(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:03:25 pm by Willfor »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 17, 2013, 01:38:30 pm »

You could probably take 20 minutes out of your watching-anime-you-don't-like schedule for it!

Let's start with this.
Comments on websites are often stupid.  You heard it here first!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46