Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46

Author Topic: When Kickstarter Goes Right  (Read 92816 times)

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter Goes Right
« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2012, 12:42:21 am »

So, it appears that there has been a explosion of playing card kickstarters, some of which are pretty awesome.
Really like the looks of those three in particular (and have funded 2/3 of them currently).
These are pretty cool, but I wouldn't play with them.  :P
Of course you wouldn't, two out of three of those would drive you insane if you played them too long.
Haha. But seriously the designs look really insecure, especially the necronomicon one which has extra pips and different borders based on suit.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2012, 01:14:15 am »

So, you remember that guy? With the list? Of all the shit he's not supposed to do?

Yeah, he made a game.
Heheh, just the reward description for the $10,000 spot is giggle-worthy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2012, 02:41:15 pm »

This one looks neat.  The last couple space games I got ended up being a little...unsatisfying, so I think I could spring for another one.

Their projection isn't looking to healthy though; trending to come in at a little over $200,000.  (Above average for a failed Kickstarter).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2012, 03:38:24 pm »

You are going to get poor products from Kickstarter from time to time.

My friend got a pen and paper RPG from kickstarter that he helped fund and... It was actually pretty bad.

Not only was it incomplete, you couldn't actually run a proper game with the rules as written, but much of it was superfluous and useless.

But that is just what happens when you donate for a product that isn't finished. Heck that is what also happens when you pay for a finished product.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2012, 03:40:54 pm »

You are going to get poor products from Kickstarter from time to time.

Oh sure.  I just stated that because a few months ago I was "[project x] looks nice, but I've recently bought a bunch of space games, so I'll pass."  But this month it's "ehh, the space games I have I've lost interest in, looking for a new one."

(Sadly FTL was one of those, and I think I over-played it in the beta, and now don't really feel like playing it much more, despite the number of changes that were made)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2012, 02:01:48 pm »

Apparently Obsidian wants to make the spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale, Planescape, and Knights of the Old Republic. I'm also glad to see they got Tim Cain, and are including his recipes with the game, like the good old days of Interplay.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2012, 02:22:55 pm »

Apparently Obsidian wants to make the spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale, Planescape, and Knights of the Old Republic. I'm also glad to see they got Tim Cain, and are including his recipes with the game, like the good old days of Interplay.

People are probably pretty angry with how close they got to their "Better game"

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2012, 02:58:27 pm »

If I know the guys at all, and I've kinda followed them since the 80's, they'll do it anyway. Interplay/Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian are one of my all-time favorite developers, and have consistently stayed that way since I was a wee lad.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 23, 2012, 12:19:40 pm »

The Silver Token.
In a week they've already raised 75% of their funding goal.

The book itself is interesting too.  Dragons in a modern world.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2012, 12:31:41 pm »

(Sadly FTL was one of those, and I think I over-played it in the beta, and now don't really feel like playing it much more, despite the number of changes that were made)

This is why I avoid playing games in Beta these days.  You get a sub-par experience, and then when the game is finished and good you don't feel like playing.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 23, 2012, 01:12:29 pm »

This is why I avoid playing games in Beta these days.  You get a sub-par experience, and then when the game is finished and good you don't feel like playing.

Doesn't matter much.  If I'd waited, I'd merely have pushed the overlay forward in time.  I'd have played it the same amount and gotten the same level of enjoyment out of it, just at a different time.

Sure, the balance was tweaked some, but pulse lasers still dominate the damage spectrum.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 07, 2012, 07:22:30 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/limemouse/lifx-the-light-bulb-reinvented

First time I've seen a kickstarter actually *sell out*
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 07, 2012, 07:33:50 am »

I have always wondered, what do developers do with the money they get from kickstart? I mean seriously, lets say I am a game producer and designer who has no desire to do graphics, sound or programming. I understand there are costs here, but enough to amount to 50,000? What do they need money for?

Please don't interpret this as cynicism, this is an honest question from somebody interested in the industry.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 07, 2012, 07:37:48 am »

Probably cost of living while they make the games instead of getting a salary.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 07, 2012, 07:41:54 am »

Cool, well now I know that by living in a country with good unemployed pension, I can produce stuff for significantly less cost. I was worried for a second...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46