Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 46

Author Topic: When Kickstarter Goes Right  (Read 92835 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: When Kickstarter Goes Right
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2012, 02:00:58 pm »

I'm not saying that, he was. But I'll admit I tend to find Kickstarter works 'best', in my mind, for digital goods like games because it's basically paying for the time they spend developing it in advance. Game finished before funding runs out, they maybe get to make some more off further sales but haven't had to go into the "red" for their time working on the project.

Physical goods have all of the shipping and associated overheads.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:21:32 pm by MorleyDev »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2012, 02:59:21 pm »

I'm not saying that, he was.

Oh, I know.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2012, 03:22:22 pm »

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2012, 03:50:33 pm »

These guys are building a space elevator.http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaellaine/space-elevator-science-climb-to-the-sky-a-tethered?ref=live

For 10.000 you can jump.
How on earth is only $8,000 enough to fund a space elevator? I'd rate such a project to be in the billions at the least, or even the trillions.

Edit:
Quote from: The Kickstarter
We’ve gotten critiques from our friends that “we’re not asking for enough…”  The (usually unspoken) implication being that “if you’re really serious about building an Elevator on the Moon, why are you only asking for $8,000?”

We made this financial decision for a reason.  Sure, there are many things we can do (will do) that will take a lot more cash… But that’s not the point of this – specific – campaign.  The goal of this Kickstarter event is to rebuild our community.  We will launch another campaign; and another, and another and another.  Over time, after some successes and after we’ve rebuilt trust that our company can do what it says it can do, we’ll raise our financial targets.

Oh. I see.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:54:24 pm by Hubris Incalculable »
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2012, 04:23:49 pm »

keep in mind that space elevator is a very far away goals. what they are asking money for is just testing some climbing robots, and training the new team ( composed of volunteers). for that 8000 $ is not that bad.

a proper space elevator would have to be a multinational effort.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2012, 10:01:18 pm »

Has this been mentioned? I didn't find anything in the forum search:

Broken Sword - the Serpent's Curse Adventure
by Revolution Software

They're going back to their 2D roots. Also, they were actually approached by one of the biggest studios and they turned it down, saying "nah, we'd rather do it ourselves". According to them, after the publisher's cut, there's almost no money left for the developers. :P

(note that this is the same company that contributed a LOT of stuff to the ScummVM engine thingy, including freeing up two of their classic games Beneath a Steel Sky and Lure of the Temptress as freeware. (lots of respect)

Anyway, big fan of the first 2 games. Haven't played the 3D ones, so I don't necessarily think they're bad (I actually have the 3rd one in my Steam account somewhere).

Does this deserve its own post, or is it OK here?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:02:57 pm by Sergius »

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2012, 10:03:23 pm »

It's on Kickstarter. It's also going right. I'd imagine it's fine here.
Hello Hunam

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2012, 10:04:22 pm »

It's on Kickstarter. It's also going right. I'd imagine it's fine here.

Yeah, not finished yet but 25 days to go and already got >280k from their 400k goal, so I'm pretty sure they'll reach it.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2012, 10:24:43 pm »

fuck.
Game characters are created and animated in 3D and then pre-rendered and saved as 2D frames so we can deliver ultra high quality visuals in full HD glory.
count me out

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2012, 10:50:42 pm »

fuck.
Game characters are created and animated in 3D and then pre-rendered and saved as 2D frames so we can deliver ultra high quality visuals in full HD glory.
count me out

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2012, 07:48:48 am »

fuck.
count me out

So you don't like The Longest Journey, do you?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2012, 08:21:03 am »

He's saying he finds it funny when the rewards for a donation cost the developer so much they make the donation pretty much pointless.

You know, Kickstarter sometimes feels like buying future me a present. "Great job surviving for that whole year, here have a Wasteland 2". It's kinda trippy when I think about it...

I backed the Star Command game, and in a backer update they wrote up a fairly interesting breakdown on how the funding worked out for them. Useful read since it's from the perspective of an inexperienced team trying a kickstarter for the first time:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2012, 08:49:52 am »

fuck.
count me out

So you don't like The Longest Journey, do you?
didn't play that. i enjoyed discworld noir, baldurs gate, torment, etc. but that's beside the point, but i much prefer sylvain chomet to pixar, and that's what i was expecting from a new broken sword. instead i got ultra high quality visuals in full 3d glory, and i lost all the interest
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:06:30 am by Askot Bokbondeler »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2012, 08:55:08 am »

i enjoyed discworld noir, baldurs gate, torment, etc. but that's beside the point, but i much prefer sylvain chomet to pixar, and that's what i was expecting from a new broken sword. instead i got ultra high quality visuals in full 3d glory, and i lost all the interest

Full HD glory. It's pre-rendered 3D, same as most sprite games, including all those you mention.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:19:02 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2012, 09:00:09 am »

I see.

I backed the Star Command game, and in a backer update they wrote up a fairly interesting breakdown on how the funding worked out for them. Useful read since it's from the perspective of an inexperienced team trying a kickstarter for the first time:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sounds about right.  V!C! has had lower attorney fees (no seriously, this guy offered to be our contract negotiator for like $200.  Flat).
But yeah, 5% to kickstarter and amazon, some loss from non-processed charges, a huge chunk is dedicated to printing and shipping (I think it's like $30,000 of the base $43,000) and then paying people for stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 46