Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 46

Author Topic: When Kickstarter Goes Right  (Read 92806 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter Goes Right
« Reply #210 on: November 07, 2012, 09:19:22 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/limemouse/lifx-the-light-bulb-reinvented

First time I've seen a kickstarter actually *sell out*

And I still think the concept is stupid.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 07, 2012, 10:00:00 am »

It's a rich peoples' toy.

You'd think they would have made the rewards more numerous, though. They're planning on mass-production, right? They can afford to supply more people with freaking light bulbs.
Nothing important here, move along.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2012, 04:15:32 am »

Would have funded cuz of an "OOOH SHINEY!" moment. Thankfully they were both sold out and already finished with funding as of 4 hours ago heh
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2012, 09:00:26 am »

Technically if you're self-funding/pre-order funding a project, that'd make you self-employed or a business so no unemployment...

Decent contract artists and sound will cost thousands, taking someone on staff means paying a wage so also thousands go there. People gotta eat after all.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:02:30 am by MorleyDev »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2012, 11:31:09 am »

Pebble sold out too. Or more accurately they had to add caps before the funding closed because they were getting far too many orders. They're already delayed a few months by the shear volume of orders...

LIFX sounds good but it should use household wiring as the network, not wireless. Then you could put network-enabled dimmer switches into walls and so on quite easily!
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2012, 04:19:42 am »

Pebble sold out too. Or more accurately they had to add caps before the funding closed because they were getting far too many orders. They're already delayed a few months by the shear volume of orders...

LIFX sounds good but it should use household wiring as the network, not wireless. Then you could put network-enabled dimmer switches into walls and so on quite easily!

I think that'd invalidate a lot of the 'plug and play' appeal.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 19, 2012, 10:36:19 pm »

Unforgotten Quest made by the guy behind urealms.com. Watch one of his series if it interests you and then hopefully you'll understand why I'm so excited for this. He's has a ton of stuff related to the kickstarter up on his site, as well as a whole board on the forum dedicated to dev questions. Video blogs about the game/development process are coming soon.

Not quite this excited
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But excited.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2012, 06:21:46 am »

My two favorites right now are definitely on the absurdist  humor side of things: Barkley 2 (the sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden). If you know what that is, it needs no real introduction!

and Ryan North's (Dinosaur Comics) To Be Or Not To Be: A choose your own adventure-style gamebook based on Hamlet. Featuring art from basically every major webcomic artist you can think of (Mike Krahulik from Penny Arcade, Andrew Hussie from MSPaint Adventures, Ethan Nicolle from Axe Cop, Randall Munroe from XKCD, Kate Beaton from Hark a Vagrant, and literally dozens upon dozens more. I could just keep going). So far they've blown past all the initial stretch goals (audiobook edition, a PREQUEL to Hamlet called Poor Yorick about a broke version of the famed skull while he was still alive, an undetermined sequel NOT based on Hamlet but on some other Shakespeare work, and a GOD DAMN LIVE ACTION PLAY STREAMED ONLINE WITH LIVE POLLING TO CHOOSE THE NEXT SCENE)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 12, 2012, 05:31:51 am »

Anyone up for some precision-machined metal d6's?

Seriously, this guys has actually gone through the trouble of modelling dice in 3d and getting them close as possible to perfect. Plus, in a pinch, you could always use them as an improvised weapon!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 12, 2012, 05:54:39 am »

I've kinda been disillusioned from the Kickstarter gone wrong topic...

To the point where I am seriously questioning if Kickstarter can ever go right not that it kinda stopped being about the funding.

Plus, in a pinch, you could always use them as an improvised weapon

It would uttarly destroy their value as the impact could unbalance them.

It is actually what kinda makes me question the dice as a while would be that almost any amount of genuinly using them would decrease their value as perfectly balanced dice.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:01:46 am by Neonivek »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #220 on: December 12, 2012, 06:05:05 am »

Anyone up for some precision-machined metal d6's?

Seriously, this guys has actually gone through the trouble of modelling dice in 3d and getting them close as possible to perfect. Plus, in a pinch, you could always use them as an improvised weapon!
I'm tempted just because it's solid metal :P I don't care about their perfection, they just look good!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 12, 2012, 06:05:36 am »

I'd be sort of more interested in Blue Chromatic Dice.

Or green.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 12, 2012, 10:19:05 am »

It is actually what kinda makes me question the dice as a while would be that almost any amount of genuinly using them would decrease their value as perfectly balanced dice.

Not really.  Any metal with a higher density than wood is going to do more damage to the table than the die itself.

http://www.weregeek.com/2011/01/19/

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2012, 10:26:02 am »

Whoa, I think I just found an easter egg.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 12, 2012, 10:47:22 am »

Whoa, I think I just found an easter egg.

?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 46