Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46

Author Topic: When Kickstarter Goes Right  (Read 92844 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter Goes Right
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2012, 08:26:25 pm »

Too bad there's not a "when Kickstarter goes meh" thread. But I'm more happy than sad, so posting here:

Jetpack 2

I LOVED the original jetpack, and when I saw this kickstarter I was pretty excited. Looking at the video and stuff so far though... eh. I'm not sure it'll live up to the original. Graphics have lost their pixellated charm. Level editor staying really simple rather than added (optional, of course) complexity.

But I want it to succeed regardless, and it damn near has, so yeah.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2012, 12:29:00 am »

Honestly I don't know why people don't understand that just because you increase the quality of the graphics it doesn't mean you increase the aestetics of the graphics.

I've already seen games that looked worse because of this very same upgrade.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2012, 02:46:06 am »

Cheetamen II: The lost levels

My sides are splitting.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2012, 03:10:48 am »

DO I HAVE TO OWN AN NES CONSOLE TO PARTICIPATE?

--OF COURSE NOT, WE'LL TAKE YOUR MONEY REGARDLESS OF YOUR PERSONAL DEFICIENCIES.  BESIDES, IF YOU CAN'T START THE GAME, YOU WILL LIKELY HAVE A GREATLY ENHANCED QUALITY OF LIFE. (AND THE GAME WILL LIKELY BE WORTH MUCH MORE IN ITS PRISTINE, UNPLAYED STATE)

dear god someone stop me from paying $60 to get one of these

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2012, 07:55:40 am »

My sides are splitting.

Caps lock is cruise control for cool. 8)
Also.

Wait a second.  Did this get posted to the wrong thread by accident?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2012, 08:57:19 am »

It's got Angry Video Game nerd shilling for it. So....I think it's actually legit.

Although to me it seems like the equivalent of hipster gaming. :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2012, 09:27:29 am »

Although to me it seems like the equivalent of hipster gaming. :P
The best gaming.

Or maybe I've just been hanging around too many indie musicians lately. :(
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2012, 10:53:29 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1829034266/volgarr-the-viking?ref=live

This game strikes me as really wholesome. You can't get more fundamental than 2d side scrollers, and they cite 3 of my favorite side scrollers as their inspiration: Rastan, Castlevania and Super Ghosts 'n Ghouls. I don't crave the game so much that I'll back, but I'll probably get it after it releases.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2012, 07:16:17 pm »

I need to stop just posting awesome kickstarters and actually say stuff about the ones other people post...

$60 for an NES game is kinda high... Almost would though, just... A bit higher than my cap for games made for systems over 20 years old. There, I feel better, now to advertise awesomeness.

+5 Food of Eating Cookbook: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/plotbear/publish-the-5-food-of-eating-cookbook

$10 for the pdf. A small price to pay for a book of countless (at least by a troll) recipes with a bit of something for every RPGer out there. There's even vegan recipes and such for those weirdos. And if ya want something to hold in your hands, only an additional $5. Then there's all sorts of swag... Got friends? Really? Come on, I know you're lying... Well, at least you've got family, right? Yeah, buy some extra copies for them too. Your mom will love you and maybe she'll make up something better than liver and onion, like hummus and beef wrap with mint and tomato.

Reaper Miniatures' Bones: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min?ref=users

$100 for everything. (Except some new guys) I know, I know... That sounds high, but... Currently there's 111 miniatures included in that set. That makes each miniature only $0.91. And the amount of miniatures keeps going up and up. And to make this all that much more awesome, these things aren't cheap plastic. Nor are they expensive metals. They're a special "Bones" polymer. This stuff is durable, not too heavy, and relatively cheaper than metal. For added bonuses, you can also use a little bit of hot water and reposition almost anything on the miniature into a unique position you like. This stuff is a marvelous material and even holds paint great without any added time spent priming it. I can't check on Youtube videos right now, but here's a link to find some faster: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Bones+Miniatures+Reaper I fully expect for that $100 to cover over 150 miniatures before this is out. And don't worry about the fact that it looks like they don't have a lot of stretch goals planned. That tomb opens up and has even More stretch goals.

I'm using Reaper's Bones from this kickstarter and the ones I'm getting from Stonehaven's Dwarven Box Set to finally upgrade my Old Old miniatures set for gaming which was mostly pennies, army men, and a few random plastic guys from the toy stores. I suspect my group will be thankful for this. Also, if ya don't Quite have $100 to plop down for Reaper's Bones, there are smaller sets that cost less from the kickstarter, they're just not as epic. ($60 for 59 bones I believe) and $15 for a dozen Each of: Rats, Kobolds, and Goblins. (3 models, 4 of each for all of those) Also, Any goal amount (even $1) can add $25 to add 20 Orcs to it (5 different models, 4 of each)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:05:23 am by Shardok »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2012, 10:52:20 pm »

Here's one I ran into this evening.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/170487...and-roleplayers

Tome of Ideas is part genre encyclopedia, part RPG book, part writing prompt collection, and part inspirational art book. It is designed as a resource for writers looking for their next story, game masters looking for their next adventure, or anyone who simply wants to sit down and send their imagination on a journey into speculative fiction.

The writing prompts, story seeds, and adventure outlines spanning ten genres and almost two dozen sub-genres make Tome of Ideas a great read for anyone who loves genre fiction, art, or roleplaying.

Only $5 for a single adventure of a genre of your choosing or $20 for the whole book (as a PDF).  Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2012, 10:57:39 pm »

My sides are splitting.

Sometimes I want to slap you guys. Really hard.

There are just no words for logic.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2012, 09:09:35 am »

Planetary Annihilation

I'm not going to back it, as I have enough RTS games at the moment, but I figured I'd share.  Looks neat, if a little cartoony.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2012, 09:15:40 am »

Planetary Annihilation

I'm not going to back it, as I have enough RTS games at the moment, but I figured I'd share.  Looks neat, if a little cartoony.

I've backed it. It's by the guys who made Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, and it features putting engines on an asteroid and flying it at your enemy's base. What's not to love?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2012, 09:22:10 am »

Planetary Annihilation

I've backed it. It's by the guys who made Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, and it features putting engines on an asteroid and flying it at your enemy's base. What's not to love?

Yup.  I had noticed.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2012, 02:54:01 pm »

Reaper Miniatures' Bones: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min?ref=users

$100 for everything. (Except some new guys) I know, I know... That sounds high, but... Currently there's 111 miniatures included in that set. That makes each miniature only $0.91. And the amount of miniatures keeps going up and up. And to make this all that much more awesome, these things aren't cheap plastic. Nor are they expensive metals. They're a special "Bones" polymer. This stuff is durable, not too heavy, and relatively cheaper than metal. For added bonuses, you can also use a little bit of hot water and reposition almost anything on the miniature into a unique position you like. This stuff is a marvelous material and even holds paint great without any added time spent priming it. I can't check on Youtube videos right now, but here's a link to find some faster: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Bones+Miniatures+Reaper I fully expect for that $100 to cover over 150 miniatures before this is out. ...

Thought that I'd update this - they're now up to 182 models for $100.

Despite the fact that I am both poor and haven't painted models in years, I may well have to chip into their Kickstarter, just because it's such a ridiculous amount of stuff.

They might even pull me in for an extra $40, because the rock elemental from their 'Forces of Nature' and Nethyrmaul the Undying both look awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46