Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: How do you feel about misandry?  (Read 12454 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about misandry?
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2012, 04:44:42 pm »

We've got one person on the board that thinks misandry is a-ok, that I know of.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2012, 04:46:44 pm »

Does "not a problem" count? Because I'm still firmly in that camp. I mean, "a-ok" might be a little farther than I'd say I am.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2012, 04:49:25 pm »

We've got one person on the board that thinks misandry is a-ok, that I know of.
Interesting, do they actually say this, or do you just think their opinions are sexist?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2012, 04:55:03 pm »

No, the dude is pretty upfront about. Hardcore, too.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2012, 04:57:31 pm »

No, the dude is pretty upfront about. Hardcore, too.
Interesting word choice there, but I suppose anything is possible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2012, 05:22:54 pm »

Misandry isn't exactly gender locked, same as misogyny is definitely a thing practiced by women, too. It's not very surprising.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2012, 05:53:56 pm »

One thing I think a lot of people fail to acknowledge is that men and women ARE different, and that should be taken into account when citing statistics and such.
I'll point out that the vast majority of differences are either irrelevant for most purposes or statistical correlations and not inherent traits to gender. The latter is irrelevant unless you're doing something like advertising.

An easy to spot statistical correlation would be height. Men are on average taller than women. However, you don't automatically assume every women is short, do you? The same attitude should be applied to other traits, including (perhaps especially) personality ones. Assumptions make you an ass. Don't make them.

Anywho as for our local male misandrist, not sure I've seen him around recently. But yeah, he's got some associative guilt issues and blames the entire male gender for what sexist doucebags do.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2012, 08:13:14 pm »

Misandry? Eh. Most of the sexism aimed at men I've encountered comes from other men. As people have been saying, women have collectively gotten over a lot of their cultural hangups over the last few decades, and are well on their way to overcoming those that remain. Men, on the other hand, seem to have embraced theirs in as dangerous a fashion as possible. This has already damaged a lot of people, and if it continues it will damage a lot more. I live in a very liberal area, and I've still seen far too many of the other boys at my school poisoned by these ideas. I'm hoping that the increasing acceptance of gay people and women in society will temper this trend, but if they don't, it's gonna cause a lot of problems.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2012, 08:16:16 pm »

Anywho as for our local male misandrist, not sure I've seen him around recently. But yeah, he's got some associative guilt issues and blames the entire male gender for what sexist doucebags do.

Man, maybe I am who you guys are talking about.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2012, 08:20:10 pm »

Man, maybe I am who you guys are talking about.
No, trust me, you are not the guy they're talking about.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2012, 08:23:07 pm »

Yeah it's not you.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2012, 08:28:15 pm »

It's fine to have a joke in which you try to make random people think they are "that guy" but in this case you should just say you're talking about Virex.  If you want to criticise someone then you really should mention them by name rather than acting coy.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2012, 08:31:23 pm »

That's the one.

I'm not too into naming and shaming, though. Not fair to people to gossip about them behind their back.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2012, 08:32:51 pm »

Wheras it's perfectly fine to wink wink nudge nudge about someone as long as you have plausible deniability if they notice?  If he's worth bringing up then he's worth naming.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2012, 08:38:28 pm »

I, on the other hand, have no such problem with naming or shaming, 'cause Virex was an asshole. You want a good example of misandry? Go read his posts in Vector's progressive rage thread. He literally had no problem with the fact that women could not be trialed for rape in Britain and that was just ONE thing

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7