Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: How do you feel about misandry?  (Read 12474 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about misandry?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 12:46:55 pm »

Are you familiar with the term "anecdotal evidence"? That sometimes bad things happen to men does not mean such things are widespread.

As for divorce and pregnacy laws: yes, they're unjust. But the alternative would be even worse. At least this prevents single and divorced mothers (and their children) from getting the shaft.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 01:03:32 pm »

I don't differentiate between misandry and misogyny. Sexism is sexism. Double standards are double standards. They get equal ire from me, because they're the same thing with a different excuse: penis or vagina.
You can take all forms of prejudice, guilt by association, associative guilt, and unfair expectations and launch them into the sun.

If you want some serious issues regarding misandry: Look at rape and domestic abuse. Both are far from uncommon yet almost completely unreported. The latter happens just as much to men as women, too.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 01:08:24 pm »

Technically, the first may happen to men more than women as well (though numbers here are hard to come by, its not terribly likely all told. But its closer than most people think).

Of course, that's predominantly guy on guy rape, so who knows where that even falls.

Point is: Fight injustice wherever its found, but some injustices do more damage than others. Doesn't mean you should let the lesser ones slide, of course.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 01:33:14 pm »

Sexism against guys in society is a huge issue, and one that is often just dismissed without a second thought. Of course, sexism against men, and sexism against women are really just two sides of the same coin. Deal with the gender divide issues, and you'll deal with both problems.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 01:55:25 pm »

I will admit that it doesn't seem like a problem, but it kinda is. You'd never see a group of people laughing and at how a woman got her breasts cut off.

Uhh... if you've never seen a group of people laughing at female domestic abuse, you've been hanging around way too nice people. Politically incorrect jokes are common. It's when it becomes something traumatic/hurtful that it's not funny anymore. For example, I'd make rape jokes if it'd be funny (male or female) but never in front of an actual rape victim. You can make jokes about a nation getting hit by tsunamis, but not right after a tsunami actually kills people there.

Reality is that you'd probably find way more real situations where a woman has her privates abused than a man would, so it makes the situation much less funny.

The outdated alimony and divorce laws Or even something as common as pregnacy

This goes down to a much deeper level. I live in Malaysia, where divorce laws are very strongly biased towards the man, as in he can divorce her as easily as breaking up with his girlfriend (though he still has to fill in annoying forms). This is countered in that the man still has to pay alimony to the woman.

Women's suffrage is a relatively new thing. Yeah, you have voting rights, which are maybe 2-10 generations old. But you still don't have equality. It's still culturally accepted that women should stay home and cook/clean/feed kids and men should work and support the wife and kids. Women are the 'fairer sex'. As much as people deny it, just look at things like age of marriage stats and difference in average pay.

People have been working to get rid of this perception, but we're only halfway there. We're going liberal to the point that it's acceptable to have children without being married. The laws have been a little slow to catch up to this. And since the political climate is trending towards women's rights, it's easy to take the first step and give women more power over things like divorce, but very hard to take power from things like alimony.

Ideally, you'll want to give both men and women equal rights, have divorces split things 50-50, no alimony. But modern countries are only halfway there. And third world nations are not eager to take the painful first steps towards going there, especially since it's not even embedded in the culture.

What I'm trying to say is that this isn't a matter of misandry, it's just cultural adaptation. A lot of people working with this certainly don't hate men - they just feel that men are financially responsible for things.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 01:58:23 pm »

Men can get alimony, can't they?

I was under the impression it was supposed to be a concession to the primary homekeeper/caregiver, if they exist, who spent their time doing that instead of progressing professionally.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 03:37:05 pm »

It... actually is. And manages to make it clear that the places men are losing are predominantly because of the cultural forces men place on themselves. Women had to fight their own gender-status-quo naysayers to achieve equality, but men in large part have exalted and lionized their own, since they were traditionally on top.

And nothing has changed on that front, and it really needs to. The masculine ideal, in many ways, is no longer successful, and while the feminine ideal has adapted, the masculine one has stagnated...

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 03:55:30 pm »

Well to be fair 90% of men are annoying pricks. Though I'm more of a misanthrope, since I recognise 90% of women are annoying pricks too.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:59:29 pm by MorleyDev »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 04:04:12 pm »

I'm intrigued as to why despite a noticeable bias towards wanting male children (see third chart) people go to get girls more. I've currently got two theories.

A) People who want boys are more traditional/conservative and less likely to use sex selection.
B) People want a boy if they want a single child, but once they've got the "male heir" they want girls after him.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 04:07:57 pm »

It could just be that while more people prefer males, those who prefer females do so more strongly. Strongly enough to select for it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 04:10:33 pm »

That's also a possibility, but I like overthinking things.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »

I thought that an article about "the end of men" article would mention the deteriorating Y chromosone.  Apparently the Y chromosone's inability to swap genes with the X chromosone means it's just getting worse and worse over time.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 05:34:55 pm »

Well not wiped out.  Just struggling more and more genetically.  Although I guess new advances in the area of "female sperm" could produce serious selection pressures against men, in that it would provide competition against men and always produce female children.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 05:43:05 pm »

Yo hating anyone for their sex or gender is dumb, but the vast majority of Men's Rights Advocates are stupid and bad.

They tend to dismiss workplace discrimination against women, sexual harassment claims, and rape claims out of hand.  The fact that they often see 'women' in general as some militarized group hellbent on the destruction of all men is pretty indicative of their misogyny.  Even the most mild accusations of "well WOMEN get to do X" rely solely on tu quoque attacks, aiming to make such misogyny 'only fair' rather than eliminating all sexism all the time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7