Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: How do you feel about misandry?  (Read 12447 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
How do you feel about misandry?
« on: April 30, 2012, 08:22:00 am »

Some people think it's a serious issue. Do you?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about misandry?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:32:53 am »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:45:14 am »

It's not a serious issue.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:53:44 am »

Yes, I believe sexism is important. Regardless of who it's aimed at. I turned of the video after the very first example, because somebody who thinks circumcision and genital mutilation is the same thing just isn't worth listening to (and this is from someone who opposes circumcision, mind you). It would be comparable if circumcision involved cutting of half or the whole of the glans (which my dicktionary tells me is what you call the "head"), and not just a piece of flesh.

I also find that most times anyone brings up "misandry" they're doing it in a way that makes them come off as thinking of it as a pity competition. It isn't.
Love, scriver~

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:55:10 am »

because somebody who thinks circumcision and genital mutilation is the same thing just isn't worth listening to

See the thing is, men's rights stuff is all about making these kinds of comparisons.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:03:20 am »

because somebody who thinks circumcision and genital mutilation is the same thing just isn't worth listening to

See the thing is, men's rights stuff is all about making these kinds of comparisons.

I think you haven't learned enough about female genital mutilation if you think there's even a ballpark comparison between the two as they're practiced in the world today. Last I checked, guys don't have their dicks sowed to their stomachs to prevent them from using them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:07:34 am »

I think penguin was agreeing with me and that his point was that you couldn't make any comparison between circumcision and genital mutilation.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 09:08:49 am »

M'bad.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 09:31:29 am »

While it's an issue in principle, you also have to look at relative power structures. As blunt as this is going to sound, misandry isn't a serious problem because women can't do shit about it, taken as a whole. Maybe when you start seeing significant representation on police forces, in the military, in the boardrooms, on legal benches, etc. *and* those women are primarily misandrists, then we have a problem.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 09:51:53 am »

It's as serious an issue as any kind of discrimination, if you ask me. Disliking or hating an individual based on assumptions is horrible (i.e. you're male/female/asian/hispanic/african/nordic/venusian and therefore you suck). Some people take it to downright hilarious extremes, though. I can't remember where, but i read an article on the 'nets that said a few feminists claimed that peeing while standing up was oppressive to women. Likewise with sitting with your legs uncrossed, that's oppressive man!! (no spot on the floor went unrolled)

That said though, i get the impression that misandry is more acceptable than misogyny, and that has me slightly miffed. Not that i intend to start a sekrit club for misogynists (SeCFoM BITCHES), just the principle that men are more acceptable targets than women. Now if both were equally unacceptable targets, then we'd be well on our way to an actual utopia. (read: impossible scenario with humanity)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 09:58:44 am »

I would like to note their are forms of female circumcision that are actually roughly equivalent to male circumcision, and these usually get lumped under the same blanket of genital mutilation in general. But I get the feeling they aren't referring to that specific subset here. (not being able to see videos at work)

Personally, misandry can be a problem, but its usually individual rather than systemic, and significantly less problematic since most powerful positions are predominantly male. It's usually more equivalent of the bitter geek sort of misogyny I've seen all too much of than the frat boy sort misogyny - it's a defensive position rather than an active attempt to keep the other gender "in their place".

So conclusion: Potential issue, personal issue for some, systemic issue in very rare cases, over all not a huge deal compared to misogyny, because it doesn't have the reach or power amplification.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 11:26:49 am »

It isn't a systematic issue, and it don't cause serious problems for large numbers of people. Yeah, it's sexism, but to be perfectly frank, there are many bigger bigoted fish to fry. That, and it is used by jackasses to justify their actions to themselves. As pretty much everyone in this thread has said, it'll be a problem worth looking at when misandrists are in positions where they can cause harm beyond being obnoxious to others on an individual, personal basis.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 11:29:57 am »

It's worth calling out when you see it, like all problems, but it's far from a Major Issue or anything like that, for reasons pointed out elsewhere in the thread. It's not a big enough issue to really justify going out of your way to combat it, at least on a societal level.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 12:04:01 pm »

While it's an issue in principle, you also have to look at relative power structures. As blunt as this is going to sound, misandry isn't a serious problem because women can't do shit about it, taken as a whole. Maybe when you start seeing significant representation on police forces, in the military, in the boardrooms, on legal benches, etc. *and* those women are primarily misandrists, then we have a problem.

Yeah, this sums up my thoughts. That's why people are a lot more serious about discrimination against minorities and women, because women don't really hold as much power to get away with it. Right now, it's just annoying, but relatively harmless.

And many of the misandrists, like other discriminators, are usually just lazy people who are making excuses why they're not getting ahead. They're not really in the position to be a real 'threat'.

I remember hearing an interview with a female executive on radio. The (female) DJ asked her how she survives in a workplace controlled by men. She replied that she never really thought about it. The executive simply saw it as another hurdle and just puts a little more effort into her job.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 12:41:06 pm »

I will admit that it doesn't seem like a problem, but it kinda is. You'd never see a group of people laughing and at how a woman got her breasts cut off. The outdated alimony and divorce laws Or even something as common as pregnacy

Men get the shaft more than you might think.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7