Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unbanishable Ghosts  (Read 1999 times)

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unbanishable Ghosts
« on: April 30, 2012, 04:37:20 am »

There is a restless Speardwarf in my fortress, which I cant find on the slab engraving screen.

Thanks to Armok its just a haunt, but how do I get rid of him ?

I gave him a tomb but that seems not enough.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Unbanishable Ghosts
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 04:39:15 am »

I have a dead macedwarf from the caravan who doesn't show up on the slab engrave. Is your speardwarf a dead caravan guard?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 05:34:30 am »

He is none of mine, so possibly yeah.

And its also quite possible, that I dumped his bones into magma, since my fort is next
to a necro-tower and I have a lot of remains to get rid of.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 07:26:49 am »

Caravan members can't be slabbed for whatever reason. You only need one body part to lay them to rest with a coffin, but if you've incinerated it all I'm afraid you're stuck with it.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 11:07:30 am »

There's a bug with the ghosts that sometimes they won't slow up on the slab AS a ghost, but will be there in the engraving menu. Just check the name of it and locate its exact copy in the slab engraving menu. I'm having this happen quite a bit, but it's been solved every time I manually check it then engrave it. The name SHOULD be there, just shows up as "not engraved".
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Vrakanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 12:30:02 pm »

Where is this engraving menu? how do I access it
Must've been a menacing wooden dildo trap.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:36:14 pm »

Where is this engraving menu? how do I access it
It's at the craftswarf shop under "engrave slab" IIRC.

As for the ghost, I'm fairly certain DFHack has a few commands that can help you out with bugged ghosts if it turns out that you can't engrave for them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 11:50:04 pm »

Yeah, dfhack has commands to fix it. However, they come with a warning saying pretty much NOT to use them since they don't have a clue if A) it will actually work/be permanent, and B) consequences of hacking it (maybe they come back as ghosts later but the game refuses to allow you to bury/engrave for them since it THINKS they are rested). Maybe it's fine but it's probably best to try other methods first. dfhack can have some weird effects if you aren't careful with commands.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 08:50:15 am »

Foreigners tend to be listed at the end of the list on the "engrave slab" menu.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:45:38 pm »

You can probably ignore it unless its a hostile dwarf.

In one fort I had a ghostly army, standing on the field of battle forever, always on duty and in formation. A dozen forlorn haunts still stand where they died.

It adds a lot of flavor to an old fortress.

Dwarves who dies from being berserk are nearly always hostile as ghosts, and they need to be handled ASAP before they start murdering dwarves.