Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stockpiles! (Devlog quote)  (Read 3613 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Stockpiles! (Devlog quote)
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:59:52 pm »

Splitting this from the minecart thread for focused discussion.

Stockpiles can now be set to give items to multiple stockpiles. You can also set stockpiles to give to a workshop, in which case the workshop will only use items from its piles. You can use this to set specific materials for jobs in a roundabout way, for example, until we get around to doing that properly. If a stockpile is set to distribute the same kind of objects to multiple piles, it'll try to keep the piles even. It works well for items like stone and furniture, but it's a harder problem when bins become involved.
Workshops can be set to give only to selected stockpiles and stockpiles can be set to only accept goods from their links (other piles/workshops/vehicles).

From this, I can think of several uses:

- The obvious specific material workshops, as well as sending the finished products to the jeweler's workshop stockpile for specific decoration. Assembly lines!
- Put booze station stockpiles around the fort, and have the main pile keep them all topped up.
- Put several dining rooms in the fort, and distribute prepared meals to adjacent stockpiles.
- Brewing/milling/cooking of specific foods, or the ability to mill only dyes without modding.
- Use the (existing) stockpile quality level selection for finished goods, weapons, armor, etc. to send items to certain destinations. We could probably engineer automatic destruction of low-quality goods, for example sending a loaded iron minecart through magma.
- Infinite hauling loops so your dwarves look busy and don't hang out in the meeting hall.
- [AUTOMATIC] reactions at custom workshops (similar to fat rendering or tanning) that only take from a specific pile. Perhaps a modded in "grinder" that destroys items, and draws from a pile of refuse or low-quality items.

So, what will you do with your stockpiles?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpiles! (Devlog quote)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:03:54 am »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:29:26 am »

I know I've been playing Dwarf Fortress far too long when stockpile management announcements make me giddy.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:41:02 am »

We need automated workshops now, in addition to carts and item-specific stockpiles they would be awesome.

Also, waiting for a devlog thread about Scamps turning four

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:28:16 am »

We need automated workshops now, in addition to carts and item-specific stockpiles they would be awesome.

Also, waiting for a devlog thread about Scamps turning four

We already HAVE automated workshops. See building_custom.txt and reaction_other.txt.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 01:42:26 am »

What am I suppoused to make out of them? I see only a string of reactions, mostly lines that I guess I know what they do, but don't really get it anyway.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 02:07:38 am »

Take the Render Fat reaction:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:RENDER_FAT]
[NAME:render fat]
[BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_R]
[REAGENT:A:1:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:FAT][UNROTTEN]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:RENDER_MAT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:GLOB:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:RENDER_MAT]
[SKILL:COOK]
[AUTOMATIC]
That last tag means that whenever you have unrendered fat, it will be taken to the kitchen to be processed.  You could that tag on other reactions as well.  I imagine that might be handy on certain smelting jobs, if you have magma smelters.  Ore would automatically be taken for smelting whenever it's dug.

It would be awkward to use where a resource is limited or you don't want infinite output.  You can't use it for cooking plants without worrying about running out of seeds.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:42:10 pm by Sadrice »

BirdofPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 02:19:51 am »

I know I've been playing Dwarf Fortress far too long when stockpile management announcements make me giddy.
Really.  I started playing last week and this makes me giddy.  Logistics are always a pain in the ass.

I'm hoping with minecarts comes elevators.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 02:51:49 am »

Oh. Thanks for the explaination, Sadrice. Still, I rather meant workshops being able to operate without dwarves in them, something like raw materials being delivered by one rail, and products coming out from another one, no dwarfs involved.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 03:01:49 am »

so happy.

Urist McWeaponsmith now will make at least a steel artifact, or an iron one. I mean, a Zinc warhammer? come on!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 03:22:46 am »

- Put booze station stockpiles around the fort, and have the main pile keep them all topped up.
- Put several dining rooms in the fort, and distribute prepared meals to adjacent stockpiles.
These are actually achievable even now, but just being able to set stockpiles to (t)ake from more than one other pile will be a considerable step forwards. And linking workshops to stockpiles wouldn't have been my first choice for how to go about it, but we'll soon have finer control over how much of a multi-use crop like sweet pods or pig tails get used for each purpose.

so happy.

Urist McWeaponsmith now will make at least a steel artifact, or an iron one. I mean, a Zinc warhammer? come on!
I expect moody dwarves will ignore such designations so players will still have to take pot luck with that, which personally I'm fine with; abusing forbid commands for maximum artefact value always struck me as rather exploit-like, and thus unsporting.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 05:36:07 am »

I noticed these options, but I still don't use them.

Then again, I don't really use Barrows, either. Everyone just lives, works and plays in one giant complex. If there are too many dwarves, the system bogs down, so all useless dwarves get sent outside while the gates are closed during a siege.

Ananasii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 06:09:57 am »

These are actually achievable even now, but just being able to set stockpiles to (t)ake from more than one other pile will be a considerable step forwards. And linking workshops to stockpiles wouldn't have been my first choice for how to go about it, but we'll soon have finer control over how much of a multi-use crop like sweet pods or pig tails get used for each purpose.

you actually can, currently, set a stockpile to take from multiple other stockpiles (I frequently do this when I chose to make a single massive stockpile, many times larger than the maximum size for a single pile. I set the pile closest to the access point - frequently a central stair column for my fort - to take from every other pile, otherwise my dorfs almost always run to the furthest corner to store something)

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 07:09:56 am »

Right, but you can't have one stockpile GIVE to multiple other ones.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 09:02:59 am »

I was thinking that we'd be finding some new complicated uses of stockpiles with this thread.

For example, in my current 34.07 fort, I use the trick where I have the following food stockpiles:
- A single booze stockpile in a large central room, since dwarves go here often.
- A single prepared meals stockpile in a large central room, next to the dining hall.
- Several plant stockpiles, near the farms and food workshops, one for each type of plant that I grow.
- A single catch-all cooking stockpile near the food workshops, including meat, liquids, powders, etc. and all plants that I don't grow.

I can set the farms to grow year-round since the number of barrels of a plant are capped by the individual plant stockpiles. Any excess plants can decay in the fields, which doesn't produce miasma. If I didn't use the plants to make booze or other stuff, I could run out of seeds, but I'd still have plants sitting in the stockpiles to get seeds from. I don't like farm micromanagement, so this method lets me forget about them for the most part.
Pages: [1] 2