Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ''Miserable'' dwarfs leave fortress.  (Read 6488 times)

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
''Miserable'' dwarfs leave fortress.
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:18:16 pm »

''Miserable'' dwarfs leave fortress, taking all of there possessions and as many of the items that they have crafted with them as they can carry.
I put miserable in quotations as I am not sure what emotion would be best to describe The level of unhappiness to make a dwarf leave to take its chances in the wilds.

This would give more reason to make sure that dwarfs are happy and will allow those poor sods that failed during a strange mood to maybe find a new lease on life somewhere else.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Re: ''Miserable'' dwarfs leave fortress.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 08:46:03 pm »

''Miserable'' dwarfs leave fortress, taking all of there possessions and as many of the items that they have crafted with them as they can carry.
I put miserable in quotations as I am not sure what emotion would be best to describe The level of unhappiness to make a dwarf leave to take its chances in the wilds.

This would give more reason to make sure that dwarfs are happy and will allow those poor sods that failed during a strange mood to maybe find a new lease on life somewhere else.

Strange moods are tied to the TRANCES tag, which also controls martial trances, so my feeling is that moods are so deeply tied to dwarven psychology that a failed one is mentally shattering to a degree beyond misery.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 09:11:35 pm »

False. I keep seeing this come up, and it's normally followed by someone more knowledgeable saying that it's not true at all. I'm not sure how knowledgeable I am, but I know that any creture you can control in Fortress Mode can get strange moods. Mostly from hearing those knowledgeable people talk, mind you.

I think that it would take more than mere unhappiness to get a dwarf to leave the fort. Unless there's a dwarven community nearby, you're talking a several-week trek, on foot, with only as much in the way of supplies as you and any dwarves you can convince to go with you can carry, possibly through environments which are actively or inactively inhospitable to you, perhaps chancing attacks by goblins, kobolds, elves, or whatever, possibly having to beat back the hordes of the dead...the only way a dwarf might consider leaving the relative safety, with a huge chunk of earth over his head, one or two square meals a day, a place to sleep at night, alcohol, and (most importantly, from a psychological point of view) other dwarves is if the dangers at home outweigh the benifets of home and the dangers of leaving.

That said, it just occured to me that good biomes might cause dwarves to want to enjoy the pastoral wilderness and wander away. (Not neccesarily the outdoor wilderness, of course--good caverns get touched by good, too.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 09:15:40 pm »

Now if only they would leave, instead of
Urist McPeon has gone berserk!
Urist McWorker has been struck down.
x10

...but then again, where's the ‼Fun‼ in that?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:56:35 pm »

Now if only they would leave, instead of
Urist McPeon has gone berserk!
Urist McWorker has been struck down.
x10

...but then again, where's the ‼Fun‼ in that?
Going berserk is not the same as becoming a deject.
I am not suggesting to replace one response with another, rather give dwarfs that don't go berserk a response to unhappiness.

Also if a dwarf is accused of committing a crime they might become unhappy from the suspicion of the other dwarfs and might want to leave.
Dwarfs that leave a fortress my become bandits or may even become night creature, and may return to exact revenge.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 10:04:23 pm »

The typical way to become a night creature is to get transformed into one, losing your previous identity in the process.

But, yeah. A dwarf who gets accused of a heinous (punishable by death or bylife imprisonment) crime would almost certainly see running into the outdoors as better than staying in the fort. Whether the dwarf stays, goes, or stays but tries to take as many other dwarves with him; whether he lives or dies; and what the living, leaving dwarves do should depend on the dwarf, such as personality, crime, guilt, etc. The outcome could include stuff like becoming a vigilante (usually only if wrongfully accused or if injustice was delivered to the dwarf earlier in life), becoming a bandit (duh), joining the fort's enemies (and providing them with useful intelligence), hiding on the outskirts of the fortress, attacking dwarves that wander out alone and stealing anything they can, or simply hiding in the woods until someone ignorant of their crime comes along (whether to be murdered, to lead them back to civilization, or whatever matters, again, on the dwarf and the situation).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 10:19:54 pm »

I'd much rather have dwarves go insane than leave.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 10:38:53 pm »

I'd much rather have dwarves go insane than leave.
Who says that they cant do both?
Think about it, Why should an insane dwarf stay in one place?
You could have insane dwarfs wandering around the world, attacking whoever they find.
You could ''find'' them latter in adventure mode, or might even have one come back.

Urist McCrazy has arrived!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:45:47 pm by UHaulDwarf »

Gitaxias

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOSHAME]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 10:04:05 pm »

Another interesting idea: exile. If you think a dwarf is depressed to the point of a berserking hazard, or is an annoying noble/a vampire/an unnecessary extra mouth to feed/acting more dangerously stupid than background normal/just plain pissing you off/committed a crime that had exile as a punishment, you can exile them, having them leave and take their items, but also their risk, with them. It might possibly also mean unhappy thoughts for dwarves close to them, i.e Had a friend/sibling/parent/child banished recently. They might also come back at some point, either trying to make amends and rejoin, or trying to get revenge. If they join an enemy army, they might also tell their raiding party to look out for the traps.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 10:27:13 pm »

A dorf that is considering leaving should try to convince his friends and family to leave too.  The more that decide to go with him, the more likely it is he'll leave.  On the other hand, if no one wants to go with, he may stay.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 10:37:15 pm »

Urist Mcsad has thought of leaving recently! pops up on the screen to warn you of a dwarf's immiment desert. So you can make him feel all better!

Or murder them.

My 2 cents.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 12:11:01 am »

Anti-immigration?

It's a lot nicer of an idea than !!MAGMA!!... not as Fun, but definitely more civilized.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 12:38:43 am »

> Some emigrants have left, due to the danger. [ MORE ]
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 12:50:01 am »

I await the first reports of an emmigration spiral.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 12:58:05 am »

> You have struck Adamantine! Praise the miners! [ MORE ]
> Some emigrants have left, due to the danger. [x80] [ MORE ]
> Your fortress has been Abandoned.  Game Over.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: [1] 2