Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ''Miserable'' dwarfs leave fortress.  (Read 6487 times)

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
Re: ''Miserable'' dwarfs leave fortress.
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 02:51:23 am »

> You have struck Adamantine! Praise the miners! [ MORE ]
> Some emigrants have left, due to the danger. [x80] [ MORE ]
> Your fortress has been Abandoned.  Game Over.
It wont be game over, not with that vampire locked in the closet.
Never mind the fact that dwarfs don't run for there lives until they get a proper look at what they are afraid of.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:53:27 am by UHaulDwarf »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 03:44:11 am »

Emigration and exile have been discussed before, for example here and here.

I wholeheartedly support the idea. For realism's sake, if not else; why would anyone stay in a fortress that cannot provide necessities for its residents? Exile as a punishment would be a nice alternative for hammering, especially for vampires.

I would also like that the emigrants had a chance to return to your fortress if they heard that things had gotten better.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

TheSlimeGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 07:35:24 am »

To solve the problem of Dwarves leaving during sieges or even the problem of solo dwarves braving the wilds being unrealistic can be solved by having any emigrating dwarves leave with the next caravan, perhaps after they have passed some kind of randomised test for the permission to accompany the merchants. 

If an unhappy dwarf fails to travel with a merchant then he will be forced to stay at your fortress, during which time his unhappiness could well lead to some kind of breakdown.  You could also work the family and friends angle into this as well.

Continuing on emigration and immigration, I always liked Tropicos' system of immigration/emigration control - skilled migrants only, no one gets out alive, foreigners OUT etc.  The Migration system of Tropico also takes into account pay scale, employment rates, wealth and happiness (Which is really conducive to how well you score on employment, income disparity etc) among others.  Perhaps once the population of a fort hits a certain amount a position could be made to control population, rather than just having the ability to turn immigration on and off as an option during embark as a lot of people have seemed to ask for.  I like the idea of lots of immigrants, but I also welcome the idea of emigration as well.  It's fun to come up with imaginative ways to rid yourself of endless streams of dwarven immigrants but it would also be nice to have dwarves leaving of their own accord, especially if they are skilled workers unhappy with your progress. 

"Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given."

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 11:47:26 am »

I wholeheartedly support the idea. For realism's sake, if not else; why would anyone stay in a fortress that cannot provide necessities for its residents?

Because the fortress is in an inhospitable biome, hundreds of miles from the dwarven civ, with hostile goblins, undead, and giant creatures between them and making it back home?  Because they stand a better chance of surviving if they stay rather than leave?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 07:01:12 pm »

Still, at a certain point, after enough of your kinsdwarves have died horrible ugly deaths due to rediculous accidents, and you're hungry enough, even that field of eyeball-grass seems like a welcome change and possible escape from the hoary arms of death.

Just saying.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 08:54:21 pm »

And not all forts are located in actively, or even passively, hostile environments. And, if you're close enough to dwarven civilization for yearly caravans and seasonal migrant waves to come, why aren't you close enough for groups of dwarves to trek back?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 06:36:27 am »

I wholeheartedly support the idea. For realism's sake, if not else; why would anyone stay in a fortress that cannot provide necessities for its residents?

Because the fortress is in an inhospitable biome, hundreds of miles from the dwarven civ, with hostile goblins, undead, and giant creatures between them and making it back home?  Because they stand a better chance of surviving if they stay rather than leave?
A good point. Dwarves probably shouldn't try to make it on their own, unless truly desperate. Small groups however are quite reasonable, as GreatWyrmGold pointed out.

Perhaps young dwarves could embark on lonely adventures out of wonderlust? They could return a few years later with more experience, missing bodyparts and possibly spoils of war. This is kind of another suggestion though, and would require worldgen to be running during fort mode.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 07:36:07 am »

A good point. Dwarves probably shouldn't try to make it on their own, unless truly desperate. Small groups however are quite reasonable, as GreatWyrmGold pointed out.

Perhaps young dwarves could embark on lonely adventures out of wonderlust? They could return a few years later with more experience, missing bodyparts and possibly spoils of war. This is kind of another suggestion though, and would require worldgen to be running during fort mode.

I like this. Imagine your dabbling cheesemaker leaving out of wonderlust and returning as a battle-hardened soldier, missing both of his arms.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 02:30:25 pm »

Ideally, a bit of reaalism would be added--dwarves missing hands or arms would be more likely to die, and the survivors would gain Kicker Biter skills, rather than other ones.

But, yeah, wanderlust sounds neat.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 02:32:09 pm »

Well the dwarves without hands/arms getting better at kicking and biting already happens, since when they attack they train up the only skills they are able to use.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 02:39:32 pm »

I meant when they were out and about off-screen in the wilderness, post-debrachyzation. (What's Latin for "hand?" I think that what I just put was "removing arms.")
Sig

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 09:11:48 am »

I guess you could just say he was...
 8)
"Disarmed"

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 12:08:25 pm »

If you are REALLY close to a nearby fort, dwarves should immigrate and emmigrate to another fort really often: like a vacation!
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.
Pages: 1 [2]