Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: I got a female and a male dragon  (Read 34986 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Re: I got a female and a male dragon
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 02:10:49 pm »

Here's the cage trap drop plan from above, casualties testing it so far: 1 beekeeper. But he died needlessily when I deconstructed the support from below.

D1   D2
o----------o
oCCCICCCCo

I will channel right in front of the dragons and hope to not get killed, since I only have 10 dwarfs right now I might have to danger room some shield miners to do this. My hope is that when the "I" support is removed by level the dragons will drop down 1 z level and fall into the traps without dying. Getting the floor on top of your head is ofc deadly, but a 1 z level drop can't be that bad.

I'm keeping an eye on the grave yard and so far only 7 dwarves have been put to rest because of dragon taming's many pitfalls. A ghost has just risen though, so that ¤ash¤ might be part of Urist.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:15:08 pm by simonthedwarf »
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 02:15:35 pm »

I think you'll find that the cage traps will be covered/destroyed by the floor falling on them, unless your trap is actually a ring or two parallel rows of traps around where the floor will fall.  Depending on how the dragons scatter and on their injuries, it's still possible that the dragons will not be captured, though it's probably not likely.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 02:20:17 pm »

Lesson:Fortifications do not stop dragon fire. I really wish there was some way to protect the miners as they channel around the dragons.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 02:53:53 pm »

You would think the threat of fire would make them dig faster  8)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 02:54:18 pm »

Wooden Training Spear.  As long as the wooden training spear is not on fire, the dwarf holding it is perfectly safe. ;)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 02:56:10 pm »

Anyone know something that blocks the dragon fire attack btw?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2012, 02:56:38 pm »

Shields

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2012, 02:57:15 pm »

But, they breed in worldgen? Hmm... Damn complex spore-based reproductive system.
They don't, or at least don't without modding. Every dragon you find in vanilla will be "one of the first of it's kind" and was created out of nothingness in year 1 along with everything else. That's why every dragon you ever encounter is an adult, because they were all created as adults.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 03:51:09 pm »

Windows behind fortifications.

Try luring them in with a dog behind windows at least 2 tiles behind fortifications.

But, they breed in worldgen? Hmm... Damn complex spore-based reproductive system.
They don't, or at least don't without modding. Every dragon you find in vanilla will be "one of the first of it's kind" and was created out of nothingness in year 1 along with everything else. That's why every dragon you ever encounter is an adult, because they were all created as adults.

Sorry, but I just tested this with entirely vanilla raws besides some modifications to make finding dragons easier. (by removing other megabeasts.) Reducing dragon egg size was also used, but egg size doesn't really matter in worldgen as far as anyone has shown.

Ok, I got some test results from legends mode of dragon reproductive behavior in worldgen:
- They can breed as young as age 23, within 67 years after worldgen begins (so probably as soon as worldgen brings them in touch with one-another)
- They will not have multiple children born on the same year despite laying up to 3 eggs in-game, from the numerous subjects I've found with any children.
- Females will breed with different males each time. No incestual relationships noticed, but I didn't look that hard.

Incomplete study results:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and here are the parameters for the world and RAW edits used, and some questions and stuff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Please note that I am terrible at actually conducting scientific experiments and rarely use controls. These are questions of observation in a "natural" environment, though. As natural as it can get... This is the sloppiest !!SCIENCE!! I've ever seen and I'm ashamed of it. If you've got suggestions, please help. :-\

So, that's three young (relatively), female test subjects I could possibly use in testing to help determine at what age dragons can breed after worldgen, if at all. I'd have to find males to pair them with, but I think it was possible for any historical figures that are members of your civ to appear in later forts, so they might show up in migrant waves if they're trained well enough, right?

I'm impressed that Zangu bred so young.

I will try to locate dragons in their lairs and embark now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it appears that these males that the females are breeding with do not live in the same lair during worldgen.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:57:48 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2012, 04:07:14 pm »

Interesting. Maybe world-generation circumvents some of the normal limits in the game, since I know for certain that they don't breed in fortress mode without the [CHILD:X] token, but maybe world generation follows different rules...
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2012, 04:09:20 pm »

It seems so. It also only began with one of the recent updates.

Edit: Supreme victory!

I've located the lair of Zangu and her son, Slusa, and embarked. Right behind their door. Oh crap...

I managed to get a wall built around the wagon and get everyone except the two cats I brought inside. The cats' first thoughts were of the rodent population in the lair, so they went downstairs and pissed off the locals, setting the map ablaze just before the wagon was sealed off. Zangu seems pissed.

So, my first observations:
- never make the center of your embark the location of the lair you're investigating. Too close to the wagon.
- Don't bring cats when investigating dragons
- Both Zangu and her son register as adult dragons.
- I wish runesmith were up to date so I could just force them to be civ members and work from there. !!Fun!! is about to happen.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:50:02 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2012, 04:55:38 pm »

Wouldn't it be easier to make them common domestic and pet, and just bring a breeding pair on embark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2012, 05:11:04 pm »

That would be superior for the remaining tests, yes.
I make Spellcrafts!

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2012, 05:39:31 pm »

We finally have a big population of dwarves (47). We also have iron, so I can make spare picks. Now I just have to get the dragon into the right room.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2012, 05:45:38 pm »

I'd like to add my two cents to this thread. I mostly lurk, but I've played a bit off and on. I too wanted to breed dragons. While I don't think I have a layer with a breeding pair on my embark, what I do have, by chance, is a nearby Goblin civ that I'm at war with.

In my first invasion from these guys, they brought War Cave Dragons. Now, I truly didn't realize the significance of this, since it was one of my first 34.07 games. I did peek at their site while I was in Legends Viewer, and they do indeed have a pair of "Outcast Cave Dragons" at their site, which I presumed was their breeding pair. Again, I didn't think much on the significance of this until reading this thread.

I'm not currently at home right now, so I can't get into my game and examine the goblin site more carefully. Also, I don't think I've seen a group of 12 War Cave Dragons come with an invasion wave since that first wave happened (I was sealed off from them on the map, in a somewhat undorfly fasion, so I survived the invasion and didn't kill any of the Cavies).

Again, as I said, I will get home, and examine their site in Legends Viewer. Maybe it's possible to cage and capture those cave dragons during an invasion. Hopefully I get another invasion with them. I just thought I'd throw my situation out there. Maybe we can't get true dragons, but perhaps those dilapidated cave dragons would serve as a poor substitute for pure-bred dragons.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9