Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most valuable mechanism ever?  (Read 2931 times)

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most valuable mechanism ever?
« on: April 29, 2012, 04:00:48 pm »

I was playing, then my legendary mechanic was possessed. I immediately assigned him to my adamantine burrow, and he now has over fifteen adamantine ores in his workshop. I am trying to take advantage of this by mining more adamantine, whatever the cost may be. (clowns are expected.)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Most valuable mechanism ever?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 04:02:45 pm »

You've probably triggered the Planepacked bug, where he won't stop gathering materials until you remove the burrow assignment.  You can probably get him to use every piece of adamantine ore on the map if you want.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 04:12:30 pm »

Oh, yeah clowns. It always has to clowns doesn't it?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:15:57 pm by MrButtchicker »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 04:18:37 pm »

I advise AGAINST going off and gathering additional adamantine.  Unless you already have a mine dug straight to it and just haven't bothered mining as much as you can.

Because even if you have the planepacked bug, if the adamantine has not been mined already and sitting in a stockpile, then while you spend time mining it, your possessed dwarf is ticking away toward going insane.

They won't go insane no matter how long they spend picking up items from your stockpile, but waiting for materials to be gathered in the first place IS going to contribute to insanity.  And adamantine takes so long to get ready to mine more of, that you'll probably lose the whole artifact if you get greedy.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 04:20:31 pm »

Oh. Well I guess I'm already done mining though. Had to wall off the clowns, and my adamantine mine is temporarily out of business.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 04:25:30 pm »

airlock the adamantine/clowns off, you can continue collecting ore as long as there isn't a path up to your fort
that is if the clowns aren't inside the mining area

should've smoothed and fortified the stone as you dug to prevent the initial clown wave
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 04:31:37 pm »

I advise AGAINST going off and gathering additional adamantine.  Unless you already have a mine dug straight to it and just haven't bothered mining as much as you can.

Because even if you have the planepacked bug, if the adamantine has not been mined already and sitting in a stockpile, then while you spend time mining it, your possessed dwarf is ticking away toward going insane.

They won't go insane no matter how long they spend picking up items from your stockpile, but waiting for materials to be gathered in the first place IS going to contribute to insanity.  And adamantine takes so long to get ready to mine more of, that you'll probably lose the whole artifact if you get greedy.

If there's no more adamantine available, the Dwarf'll just begin looking for the next material/begin construction. It's already got the necessary materials, the planepack bug just causes it to look for more.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 05:50:02 pm »

If there's no more adamantine available, the Dwarf'll just begin looking for the next material/begin construction. It's already got the necessary materials, the planepack bug just causes it to look for more.
Okay, possible, but has this actually been tested?  Without any evidence, it seems like a coin flip to me if theyd just stop and wait for more adamantine or move on to the next ingredient and gather all of that too.

This may be finally the excuse I've been looking for to go make an intentionally ridiculous mega artifact...

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 06:35:37 pm »

Yup, it's been tested

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 07:32:46 pm »

Ya, check the building with q. If all he's crying for is stone or whatever addy is classified as, then releasing the burrow with make him start working. Otherwise releasing it will probably free him to grab whatever he's missing.
Do post a screen showing its value, won't you? ;) 
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 08:17:31 pm »

Ya, check the building with q. If all he's crying for is stone or whatever addy is classified as, then releasing the burrow with make him start working. Otherwise releasing it will probably free him to grab whatever he's missing.
Well assuming the adamantine is added as decorations,
300 mat value * 10 base value * 120 artifact quality = 360,000 per decoration * 15 = 5.4 million so far.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 08:40:21 pm »

300 mat value * 10 base value * 120 artifact quality = 360,000 per decoration * 15 = 5.4 million so far.

Raw adamantine is worth 250 rather than the 300 wafers are worth. So it's 4.5 million for the decorations and another 900K for the artifact mechanism itself.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 09:27:39 pm »

Raw adamantine is worth 250 rather than the 300 wafers are worth. So it's 4.5 million for the decorations and another 900K for the artifact mechanism itself.

And if addy is the building material? Remember, p-bug. It may have only wanted one stone to make it out of, but with the bug, he keeps going. If he uses all 15 as a building material instead of decorations, how we looking?

Edit: your math-fu is greater than... Well, my phones browsers ability to find stuff on the wiki :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:33:19 pm »

You guys ALMOST guessed it. It ended up at 5.6 million.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 10:05:21 pm »

And if addy is the building material? Remember, p-bug. It may have only wanted one stone to make it out of, but with the bug, he keeps going. If he uses all 15 as a building material instead of decorations, how we looking?

Mechanisms have a base value of thirty so it's 250 x 30 x 120 or 900K for the base value of an adamantine artifact mechanism. The minimum total value for said artifact would be 1.2M simply because there would be one free decoration. This is because decorations are worth a third as much as a mechanism using the same material.

Quote from: MrButtchicker
You guys ALMOST guessed it. It ended up at 5.6 million.

Did it have any more decorations besides the adamantine?
Pages: [1] 2