Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simulate Time With Active Fortress?  (Read 1439 times)

Simulate Time With Active Fortress?
« on: April 29, 2012, 02:45:01 pm »

Dwarf Fortress already simulates time during world gen... I was curious if there is a way to simulate time after world gen with an active fort, just to see what they do without human control after, say, 100 years.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Simulate Time With Active Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 03:04:41 pm »

Indeed it is possible with hax. Namesakely stopping everything that causes game pauses and work orders. Eventually you'll reach a point where every Dwarf with labours dies or becomes an elite soldier....

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 03:10:41 pm »

Hello!

If you think about any real A.I. intervention, then the current version does not offer any such thing; and it is unfortunately unlikely for it to come any time soon. World-gen type developments of civs and sites end with world-gen and are not continued in any form afterwards (except for ageing of active units and death caused by player intervention and/or becoming active units).

Yours,
Deathworks

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 07:32:35 pm »

I was thinking that any simulation of time passage could be accomplished with a fairly simple (in my eyes with no programming experience) system that considers available resources, available jobs, and available dwarves and calculates progress at the end of each year. It certainly wouldn't be an accurate approximation of fortress mode, and it would have to be tweaked to include trade and the like, but I feel that something similar would be useful for, say, leaving a fortress to make another without first abandoning.

As it stands, none of this is in the game and most likely won't be implemented for some time.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:23 pm »

I believe dfhack allows you to set standing work orders ("make more booze if stockpiles fall below 50 units"), which would make it much easier to leave a fortress to manage itself.  You would have to get rid of all breeding animals, though, as offspring don't inherit pasture assignments, and will just hang out in the meeting hall until there's enough of them to start fighting.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:27:12 am »

Wow.  Lots of very helpful people with suggestions that are not related to the OP's question at all.

@Pillow: No.  Not yet.  It's planned but if you've been around here for long enough, you know how long planned features can take.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:47:11 am »

so if you load up a 150 year old fortress (like flarechannel or something) and go adventuring, you'll find the humans and dwarfs will die off from old age, leaving goblins and elves?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku