Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fortification fail  (Read 839 times)

crusaderbond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fortification fail
« on: April 29, 2012, 02:33:56 pm »

so, I just came back to df after about a year of "real life" and right away went back to my old strategies.

I started digging a trench to keep wild animals from wandering into my (above ground)fort,
going back and forth between stirring my pasta, and designating layers for my miners.

After about 5 zlevels, I came back to find the scene above,
with all of my miners conspicuously "missing"

What changed? does rain fill in holes now? do aquifers give no warnings? did some sort of salamander dragon vomit 500 urists of water into my trench?

this fort only has 2 people and no pickaxes or proper fortifications, but I press on!

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: fortification fail
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 02:35:17 pm »

Are you absolutely sure you haven't breached a body of water? Also, I believe aquifiers don't give warnings if you channel them, but I may be wrong.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:39:46 pm »

i am positive aquifers dont give warning for channeling.  I am not even sure they give warnings for regular mining, but not positive at all about the latter bit.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

crusaderbond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 02:44:43 pm »

well, it's probably an aquifer.
Kind of disappointing actually, I was hoping for new fun,
but it looks like new ways for old fun

one of my 2 dwarves just beat the other to death with a training axe
food is getting scarce

edit: last dwarf went insane.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:12:26 pm by crusaderbond »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:48:51 pm »

Dig a 5x5 room underground and make a farm plot 5x5 as well. A friend of mine told me that a well-maintained 5x5 farm plot can sustain 60-80 dwarves. Provided if you plant plump helmets, of course.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 07:32:26 pm »

Aquifers give a damp stone notice and pause/cancel when mining into them on the same z lvl, but channeling doesn't. I'd hazard a guess and say your dorfs channeled out what they did, then drowned when they decided to go on break/eat/drink/sleep as they tries to walk tot he stairs underwater. Without a safe bit of mined out surface to walk on, the ramps they left are useless so they can't walk across the row of ramps to avoid the water. I'd dig the area, then channel it next time, that way if they stop there's a safe place to stand, though they'd still be stuck unless you dig them a new path.

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 07:42:17 pm »

Dig a 5x5 room underground and make a farm plot 5x5 as well. A friend of mine told me that a well-maintained 5x5 farm plot can sustain 60-80 dwarves. Provided if you plant plump helmets, of course.

Cave wheat can feed more if you mill it.  You harvest wheat 2 times a season and mill it in to 5 flour=10 versus plump helmets 3 times a season no milling.  Plus you need drink diversity.

Note: I left out a few details.
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.