Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is tomb-spelunking worth the risk?  (Read 5956 times)

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is tomb-spelunking worth the risk?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 10:07:01 am »

if your that worryed about it go raid a dungeon with a army or youll die lol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 04:28:34 pm »

In that Tomb is the baddest m$#^%$r in that world...Their former Demon Overlord, now mummified. This guy threw the world in fear and chaos for years and if disturbed now in it's "New form"...well...

It technically shouldn't become a mummy.

If it does though...

Learner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 12:11:31 am »

I went into a tomb. (A Pyramid shaped tomb no-less!)

Since I was also a necromancer, I figure, what's the danger?

Well... what happened was...

I picked the lock to the front door, me with 9-ish zombies under my command, 2 buck rabbits freshly killed, 6 arms, limbs, and heads, and one Minotaur, another recent kill.  :D

I sneak in, since I'm well over legendary in that skill, thinking, if he attacks at all, I'll be able to hide, and attack from a safer point.

I see a slab saying, *in mocking voice* he who dareth attack this tomb is doomed to a life of eternal agony. Okay...

I head upstairs, and already I'm finding it rather dull.

A simple spear trap on this floor, well worn over the years. It's virtually mangled! One of my rabbits gets stuck on it. Stupid thing. It kills it about 3 times.

Up another flight of stairs, my expectations less then fulfilled at this point. I see skeletons. "Here we go!" I say. I start reviving all of the skeletons.

And guess what happened when I got to the other end of that room?  :o

The mummy exited out of his coffin... and he... says hello.  ???

He tells me all about his family. (A tragic series of tales.) Third daughter been kidnapped, uncle fed to beasts by elf... poor guy. I gotta say... this was a weird encounter for me. But whatever...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:20:23 am by Learner »
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes first.

Then, when you've walked a mile and start to criticize him, he has to run a mile after you in his socks.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 12:14:51 am »

I got Observer to Legendary thanks to those traps, and many weapon skills trained thanks to the zombies. Unfortunately, I also got a nasty curse. I don't recall any worthwhile loot, but I may have picked up one of my weapons from a tomb.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 05:24:04 am »

It becomes worth it if you have interesting adventure reactions with you.

Think melting armor down to ingots, melting said ingot into liquid and stuffing it in a vial, and drinking it.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 07:12:07 am »

He tells me all about his family. (A tragic series of tales.) Third daughter been kidnapped, uncle fed to beasts by elf... poor guy. I gotta say... this was a weird encounter for me. But whatever...

You're on team undead. That mummy might even join you if you kill off several hundred of your undead followers.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 01:33:47 pm »

You're on team undead. That mummy might even join you if you kill off several hundred of your undead followers.

So you just ask "Join" or what?
That would be epic, lebump.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 01:59:43 pm »

What sort of riches are there, that are worth getting wounded by zombies and cursed by mummies?

If you are a Necromancer or Vampire and you have no living companions with you (unless you don't care about them getting killed) it basically turns into a free stash of goods you might want to check out, along with free bodies for Necromancers. Even if you wake up the Mummy it isn't going to curse you or attack you since your undead, nor will the zombies or skeletons. You could ask it to join you as well though this is of limited use.

It can be worth it though if your living and there is some item you really need that your having trouble finding, eg. a Crutch. Tombs and Catacombs with Mummy's though aren't really something you want to disturb if you don't have that sort of need. For example, is the *Bronze Battleaxe* All that much better then the the Generic Bronze Battleaxe you might be using?

Of course, if your feeling suicidal (like at the end of your adventure) then go ahead; you can get some experience with fighting/running from Mummy's. I know in one of my adventures I managed to kill 2 Mummy's, only with the 2nd Mummy getting a Curse off on me.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 01:47:06 am »

So you just ask "Join" or what?
That would be epic, lebump.
Yeah just like that.
Also >le
:-/

Anyway, I always find good loot in mummy tombs, masterwork sometimes too. Shame I never find dwarven things. Dwarf adventurers always get the shortend of the stick.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 02:23:01 am »

Anyway, I always find good loot in mummy tombs, masterwork sometimes too. Shame I never find dwarven things. Dwarf adventurers always get the shortend of the stick.
Aye, it definitely shrinks your ego knowing that the rest of the world is bigger than you.
Excuse me I think I just killed some of my brain cells with that one, brb.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 08:32:21 am »

Also: go solo. Companions will not sneak, wake up the mummy, berzerk-rush the horde of zombies, chop off hands and heads, set off traps, die then probably re-animate and try to kill you.

I had a swordsman companion at one point who was actually beneficial during a tomb raid.

In saying that, it was the first tomb I had been in, and I took an item from the room the mummy was in, and then my companion decided to start attacking it. I may have ran away and abandoned him, purely on the basis that this here forum suggests that mummies are bad ass and not to be tangled with. I discovered this for myself shortly thereafter, when I raided a tomb on my own, and was promptly swamped by an undead army that I never knew the mummy could raise.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 06:59:17 pm »

You are correct, sir. The buddy system (you kill my buddy while I run away) is a very effective use of companions in this situation. It is also sometimes possible to avoid the curse by luring your buddy next to the coffin so that he is the disturber, not you.
Pages: 1 [2]