Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fortress design  (Read 10368 times)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress design
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 12:41:21 pm »

I have my main entrance tunnel, followed by a trade depot, with multiple bridges as an airlock system, allowing military in but still keeping siegers out. My barracks (with hospital) follows, then my main stockpile, and then I put a staircase on either side, a fair distance apart.
The level below, I put most workshops below one staircase, and my food workshops (and farms in soil) beneath the other.
A staircase down again on either side leads to a food stockpile (from food) and furniture from the other.
Beneath my food stockpile I have my dining hall, linking to bedrooms on the other side (1x3, bed, cabinet and coffer)
Metalworking floor moves depending on the map.
If there's an aquifier this alters slightly to put the aquifier below my barracks and channel down, giving water for my hospital.
Post-minecarts however seems to favour a more horizontal plan.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 12:46:38 pm »

What kind of changes have you guys made to utilize/accommodate minecarts?

0. The cavern is still yet to be found, and digging in the quarry has been halted until... More digging is done. The main courtyard has been secured, and this is where invaders will be allowed inside before I shut the main entrance behind them, and begin my defence. Unfortunately this leaves merchants a risk of certain death, but as long as my broker isn't there I'm happy.
Also, fortified everything.

Everything.

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 01:01:01 pm »

Every fort I make has a 3x3 central stair that runs through the entire thing.  I use z-levels extensively and don't let any one floor get too big.  It seems to be a fairly effective design, and it makes it easy to track everything.

Surface is all defenses and barracks.  Z+1 is archer towers and the booze stockpile.

Keeping the booze above ground prevents cave adaptation, as it's something you can count on your dwarves each individually visiting on a very regular schedule.

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 02:26:21 pm »

Keeping the booze above ground prevents cave adaptation, as it's something you can count on your dwarves each individually visiting on a very regular schedule.

An interesting idea, but isn't that patfinding hit on FPS relatively high? How have found it?
Pages: 1 2 [3]