Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Formations  (Read 2764 times)

smurad1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Military Formations
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:58:37 am »

Would it be possible to set the 10 dwarf squads to stand in a certain formation?

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Formations
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:35:07 am »

You'd probably have to give combatting units some sort of direction before you do, otherwise zerging would be just as good (except for allowing some kind of "hold position").

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:39:15 am »

Wait for the army arc. Any change now would be pointless, as it'll be rewritten then anyways.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:56:05 am »

Wait for the army arc. Any change now would be pointless, as it'll be rewritten then anyways.
Hehe, seeing as release 1(/9) of the caravan arc took... maybe a year?, I think we're looking at a fairly large chunk of time here.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:00:46 am »

you can sort of do this by assembling squads in a certain area near the battle, then just sending the squads into battle in the proper order.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 11:05:28 am »

Hehe, seeing as release 1(/9) of the caravan arc took... maybe a year?, I think we're looking at a fairly large chunk of time here.

That was an unusually big release. During it, DF went from being ~31% complete to ~33%. If every release of the Caravan Arc had that much stuff, it'd be about as much of the game as was released in the first...release...thingy. Point being, not all the releases will take that long, just the ones tha get sidetracked into other planned thingies.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 01:22:19 pm »

Wait, you think version numbers are an accurate estimate of how complete it is?  What gave you that idea?

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 01:53:17 pm »

That was an unusually big release. During it, DF went from being ~31% complete to ~33%. If every release of the Caravan Arc had that much stuff, it'd be about as much of the game as was released in the first...release...thingy. Point being, not all the releases will take that long, just the ones tha get sidetracked into other planned thingies.
Ah, so the .xx corresponds to percentage complete? I always wondered why DF went from 0.28->0.31->0.34. Is this typically true for other games/programs/whatever as well?

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 05:23:06 pm »

No, DFs version numbering is pretty unusual.  The normal system increments parts of the number with each release, so windows 3.1 was the first revision of the third major version of windows.

DFs systems is (hundreds of core components complete).(number of core components complete).revision. 0.34.07 is the 7th release with 34 core components completed.

The list of planned core components has 100 entries on it though its not been publicly updated for a while, so in that sense 0.34 is 34% of the way there. However, the components range from 'fire' which is fairly easy to code, to the ability to control areas close to your fortress but off the game map, and dispatch parties of dwarves to conquer new areas or build improvements, which will take more work than goes into some entire games, so its not accurate to say that we're one third of the way there.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:44:09 pm »

Wait, you think version numbers are an accurate estimate of how complete it is?  What gave you that idea?

Toady saying that in DFTalk 14 explicitly.

But yeah, if we're at 0.33 or 0.34 that sounds about right for next time. And that's significant, because we'd be crossing a third of the way through after nine years, so we'd be able to say in 18 years I'm going to be 51 years old and we're going to be at Dwarf Fortress version 1. That'll be great. Then I'll retire or something ... or just start version 2. And various other projects and stuff, it's going to be great. So let's see here, yeah, so it's cool, there's all kinds of things going on.

Also, Toady's said that he has a new list for these things in the same DFTalk:

Quote from: Toady One
I have a big list that has the point value for a bunch of things, because it was like ... when we went to version 0.31 and then we started making all those changes and then we did all the stuff like the first night creatures for adventure mode, and the version number just kept going 31.18, 31.19, 31.20, and we never increased it because we had moved away from that core one hundred system and didn't really replace it with something else so the version number was stagnant for a while. But now I've written down a list of all the things for version 1 with I think about .02 or a little more - maybe .05 - worth of wiggle room for whatever we might want to throw in there, but basically the whole version number with night creatures ... I think night creatures are worth like .005 or something and they all have various degrees and so on. I didn't want to put it up because we've had bad luck with dev systems changing. It's really nothing new, it's just trying to systematize the version number so I can think about it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:48:26 pm by Putnam »