Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My game has a lack of fun  (Read 9548 times)

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My game has a lack of fun
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:12:53 am »

Hi, I've been making lots of forts on the new version, Around 10 forts since .05, all of them in terrifying and haunted regions. And I've abandoned them all. Why? Because I don't get any fun, there's no zombies, no bloodrain, nothing. What's wrong with my dwarf fortress!? WHY U NO GIVE ME FUN!? Please help, Should I redownload the game, or is there any tips to finding these fun stuff?

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My game has a lack of fun
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:16:53 am »

That was my first thought, then I watched a bunch of youtube videos about let's plays where they all start with muskox zombies and insta-kill rain the secound after they began.

EDIT: That was a quick response though. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:05:54 am »

Hi, I've been making lots of forts on the new version, Around 10 forts since .05, all of them in terrifying and haunted regions. And I've abandoned them all. Why? Because I don't get any fun, there's no zombies, no bloodrain, nothing. What's wrong with my dwarf fortress!? WHY U NO GIVE ME FUN!? Please help, Should I redownload the game, or is there any tips to finding these fun stuff?

DF doesn't just give you boxes of fun in neat stacks. It's attracted to the highest concentration of blood, booze and beard. If there's anything you've done wrong, it's that you've complained about not getting fun.
Oh, and the premature abandon.
10 Fortresses.
Abandoned.

KaraMong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:09:42 am »

I'm in the summer of my 2nd year in my fortress and, apart from a bunch of kobold thieves and cardles in caves, there is no fun at all. No sieges, no ambushes, no Were-/Forgotten Beasts, no Vampires. And i have a full squad in Iron...

What a waste...

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 10:24:42 am »

I'm in the summer of my 2nd year in my fortress and, apart from a bunch of kobold thieves and cardles in caves, there is no fun at all. No sieges, no ambushes, no Were-/Forgotten Beasts, no Vampires. And i have a full squad in Iron...

What a waste...
What's your population? Population needs to get up to about 80 or so before you start seeing sieges/forgotten beasts. Vampires are more likely to come in larger waves of dwarves because, obviously, there's more dwarves in the wave, which also implies that the larger population you have, the more likely you'll have a vampire. It's a rare fort that contains 80 dwarves by year 2.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:27:51 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 10:26:38 am »

What a waste...

Dude, most fun comes after the first few years. Sieges don't happen until a certain population and wealth is reached. Find candy spires and use it for the following:
Make the Meeting Hall Mega-Legendary (Ie pave the floor and walls with it)
Equip your non-blunt weapon using militia (ie Hammerdwarfs, Macedwarves, and Marksdwarves) with the beast of the best in weapons and armor (Make sure your blacksmith is legendary otherwise it's a waste)
Costruct a Trade Depot with it. Traders will likely be amazed to see your dwarves using so valuable a material for something so mundune, and will be attracted from the thought you must have more money than sense.

Now make sure you only dig for adamantine when you need it. If you simply dig with abandon, much !!fun!! will be had.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 10:27:59 am »

OP:
Don't redownload. Have you tried embarking in completely separate evil regions? Regions have attributes that are defined during worldgen - a specific region is set to have (or not have) blood rain, syndromes for rain, zombies, etc. before anything happens, and re-embarking somewhere nearby will only get you more of the same.

I would suggest custom-genning a world and setting the "desired evil square count per region" (small, medium and large) to 10 times what it normally is in advanced worldgen.

KaraMong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 10:31:33 am »

My population is 68 Dwarves and my whealt is around 160k i think. I breached all 3 caverns but still no candy nor magma, I wanna wait until my soldiers are skilled enough before digging to find it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 10:36:39 am »

My population is 68 Dwarves and my whealt is around 160k i think.

There's your problem. Just wait till you get 80 Dwarves. Also ramp up your wealth a lot, I'm on 64 Dwarves on year two with 8 million Urists, and the Goblin squads get pretty big.

[Also, what year did you gen your world on? What parameters?]

(Make sure your blacksmith is legendary otherwise it's a waste)

A waste? A weapon is better than no weapon!

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:38:43 am »

If you have marksdwarves, I suggest setting up Archery Towers around your Fort Entrance now. You're only one large migrant wave away from getting sieged now. And even if you only have melee dwarves you should still create a chokepoint to prevent advantage in numbers for the siegers.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 10:40:47 am »

(Make sure your blacksmith is legendary otherwise it's a waste)

A waste? A weapon is better than no weapon!

True, but he already has Iron weapons, and having to melt down the non-masterwork candy weapons when you get your weaponsmith legendary so he has candy to work with is just a waste.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 10:51:24 am »

If you have marksdwarves, I suggest setting up Archery Towers around your Fort Entrance now. You're only one large migrant wave away from getting sieged now. And even if you only have melee dwarves you should still create a chokepoint to prevent advantage in numbers for the siegers.

Shoot, he's only 12 migrants away, even a small one will get him over.

But ya, ramp your wealth up. Get everyone you can making masterwork anything and sell it to caravans. Fully smoothed and masterfully engraved fortress. Royal bedrooms for everyone. 2x2 if there's a vein of something touching it, otherwise a 3x3 will do it. Wealth and pop attract fun. No one wants to attack a hole in the mud that has nothing ;)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 11:03:22 am »

Something else worth noting: Sieges get more Fun the farther along the game is. Year five can bring epicness (provided you don't use traps).

laijka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 11:10:11 am »

More time = more fun.

But I'm curious, what would redownloading accomplish?

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 11:12:42 am »

More time = more fun.

But I'm curious, what would redownloading accomplish?

New syndroms, new beasts, new mists, that kind of thing.

EDIT: Nvm, I don't know what I'm saying.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:46:35 am by Orky_Boss »

Pages: [1] 2 3