Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why did I start over HERE?  (Read 2829 times)

Why did I start over HERE?
« on: April 29, 2012, 07:36:58 am »

So with my most successful fort ever falling to a nation the nation the settlers were from were at war with, I decided to go and find the fort in adventure mode.

I started as a Dwarf, as a member of the same Civ (The Adventurous Mansions). They practically owned the entire Eastern-most continent of the map. For some reason, however, while getting my bearings to find the fallen fortress, Godenor, I found that I was not on the Eastern-most continent; I was on the Western-most continent. I am literally across the world from where I wanted to be.

Is this normal? I thought the Civ you pick when creating an adventurer placed you in territory controlled by that Civ. The Adventurous Mansions does not have a single citizen, other than my adventurer, on this entire continent.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
Re: Why did I start over HERE?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 07:55:41 am »

Dwarves, elves and goblins don't actually have sites in adventure mode so all adventurers start in a human town. If your a human, it is a town owned by your civilisation, otherwise it is random.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:43:01 pm »

If you want Dorfy civilization spawns, then change the default entity site to be CITY. Plonk this on every entity, and Dwarves, Elves, Goblins, Kobolds and Humans will all build their own towns, cities and fortresses which adventurers can interact with.
[Do note since Dwarves really like mountains, you can sometimes end up with cities inside mountains - which can make for almost impossible fast travel]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 07:37:04 pm »

How would cities react to being put onto steep mountains?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:22:10 am »

Not well, so far as I've seen.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:31:03 am »

Very badly, in fact.  Entrances are hidden, roads go up into crevasses into nothing. Some buildings get "built" on an edge of a cliff, and therefore the walls "break", leading to huge open stores with no walls.

There are also major frame rate issues and everything is incredibly b0rked.  Nevermind actually seeing everything when it's on a slope like that.

Not to mention the fact that if every civ uses City as their site type, and every entity LIKES_SITE or TOLERATES_SITE:City, you'll be getting quite a lot of Dwarf leaders for Elven civs, and vice versa.  Goblin Kings of man and Dwarven Queens of the Elves.  It's a huge clusterf---

I like fortresses because they are still underground.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:20:34 pm »

Aside from the framerate, that actually sounds pretty neat.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 10:50:07 pm »

Aside from the framerate, that actually sounds pretty neat.

It isn't.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 10:53:49 pm »

I once genned a world in which all the human towns were gone, but there was a necromancer's tower that my adventurer consistently started at. (This was vanilla, by the way; otherwise it wouldn't be wildly relevant.)

I tried several times to break into that tower, but never pulled it off and I think my adventurers' corpses were added to its defenses. I realized after scrapping that world that I hadn't tried not only sneaking but also lying down to crawl under the zombies and past them into the tower (instead I'd been trying to beat up the handful between me and the stairs without getting caught and clobbered); oh well, I could probably figure out how to get a world with no human towns and only one necromancer tower again if I wanted to try doing that right.

The whole game preference for starting in a human town if possible does plop one down in an oddly constricted area of any given world, I've found. I wonder though whether there's been any !!science!! on what the game does when one is out of towns (is necromancer tower the only option, the preferred option, or an equal with bandit camps and tombs and whatnot?) or, for that matter, out of absolutely any civilization site it would normally start at (I believe one could still play as a human outsider? have I got that right in the first place?).
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 06:43:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All I've seen is Dorfs choosing to completely flatten entire mountains, and build everywhere. It's very fitting really.