Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Baroness selection: which calculated risk is less likely to bite me in the ass?  (Read 3116 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

So. Seeing as I have 107 dwarves and have exported tons of crap to the Mountainhome, it's high time I got promoted to a barony. Through a process of elimination where dwarves only get to be chosen as a potential baron(ess) if they only like things I have in copious supply or can make just as easily (for instance, a dog leather loving dwarf), I've narrowed my selection down to one of two dwarves:

Spoiler: 914x122 image (click to show/hide)

Dwarf A: Her likes are almost all available (gold, gold, gold, gold, and more gold), save levin opals. She would get kicked off the list for that, except I don't know if mandates involving specific gems even happen.

Dwarf B: Her material likes are definitely all available. However, I read on the wiki that large gems are only made sometimes, which is bad if she demands some and the jewelers can't crank them out in time. Is the unpredictability of large gems worse than the possibility of Dwarf A mandating something involving levin opal?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Yup. I'd go for Dorf B.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well, as unpredictable as large gems might be, you could still try for panicky gem digging in emergencies, however if the baron demands something you just cant get, uh.. crap...

thus i think choice b might be safer

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

if you play the current version, you won't get material mandates anymore, only item mandates. The only thing you might get is a demand for a certain piece of furniture, which can get annoying if they like strange stone types or bone. A warthog hoof bed is NOT an option, baroness!

If the gold loving one also likes cabinets, you might get to make a lot of cabinets and a demand of a gold one for in the bedroom.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I managed to skip being a barony.
I'm now the mountain home with a mayor.

Sitting on a mass of gold, gems and magma was useful for suddenly offering tons of good crafts!  :P
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought Dwarf B would be the safer bet. Thanks for the confirmation, I've recommended Sakzul for baroness.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile

Tell us how it ends, willya? :P

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

likes as they relate to mandates are far less important than personality traits.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welll, Sakzul's first mandate was for 1 large gem. Of course. ::) I've got the jewelers cranking out cut diorite in the hopes of getting a large gem from that and appeasing her. Or at least getting them up to legendary if it turns out you can only get large gems off of cutting actual gems.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urdim was the better choice. She'd only mandate gauntlets and you really can't have too much of those. Spears are fine too, you can jam them in a weapon trap should you run out of unarmed speardwarves.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile

I'd also choose the dwarf with only possible requirement, i.e. the gauntlet one. He would stick to ordering gauntlets and prohibiting their export, which is not only manageable, it comes naturally. The second dwarf can order two types of things, where one type is kind of hard to make purposely. Also, indeed, none of my mayors orders the specific materials in this version of DF. For example my mayor likes crossbows and nether-cap wood but he never orders nether cap crossbows, only just crossbows.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

the image didn't work for me first try. I'd have gone with dwarf A

though B isnt that bad
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you look around, you may have dwarves who don't like anything that can be mandated.  I have had two fortresses with no mandates from baron or baroness.  These dwarves also seem to be immune to accidents for some reason  ;D.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile

So. Seeing as I have 107 dwarves and have exported tons of crap to the Mountainhome, it's high time I got promoted to a barony.

Wait, one question just came to my mind. Why would you want to be a barony at all? Do you want to have trade agreements? Because if your goal is to become the Mountainhome, then definitely you don't need to be barony before that. You need only to have enough dwarves, enough wealth and to give enough offerings.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile

Dwarf A is the safer option. Large gems you might not be able to make, but material-specific mandates are no longer in. Dwarf B will just screw you over.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.
Pages: [1] 2