Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: Torchlight 2  (Read 74232 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Torchlight 2
« Reply #270 on: September 25, 2012, 11:34:38 am »

So I've been playing this and I normally despise Diablo clones but I'm enjoying this more than both Diablo and Borderlands 2 which I recently tried over a friends place (BL2 didn't do enough improvements from the first one to justify the price tag for me currently).
I'm not exactly sure why I'm finding it more fun but maybe the general pace and better UI is enough for me, something is just so much more addictive for me than regular aRPGs which usually bore me (although I seem to be coming around a bit on the genre, we'll see what effect Path of Exile has on me). I got a few hours enjoyment out of the first Torchlight but never really felt the need for more play-throughs, hopefully Torchlight II won't have this problem.

I originally felt in the mood for a build based around glass cannon AOE damage and teleportation, it didn't seem TL2 had any skills with teleportation and then I remembered that TL separated a lot of spells from your skills which you had to find. I didn't exactly want to base my build around a spell that might not exist and if it did might be an extremely rare drop. 
I settled for a ranged character and decided to go the normal boring bow and kite technique. The early game seemed way too dull with the ranged class so I decided to switch over. 

I'm now a level 30 Berserker called "Seven Toe" and his adorable pet puppy. I had honestly no idea how to build a character but I didn't really want to go along the boring tanky build so I decided to try something else. After looking at the skills I decided to take inspiration from the "Whirlwind Barbarian" build that I used when I briefly played Diablo 2. 

The basic build is focused on mainly Strength and Focus with a few points in Dexterity, and Vitality being a complete dump stat (glass cannon). the idea is to build up my frenzy extremely quickly on monsters using dual fast weapons coupled with Frenzy Mastery and Executor. Then when the frenzy is charged I then go crazy with Wolfstrike for AOE death and crowd control. I also use weapons with vampiric bonuses and the Blood Hungry skill which allows for a helluva lotta health regain when I'm crazed. I might go for Rupture for bosses or some of the buffing skills if I have some skill points to burn later in the game. He does suffer from an extreme lack of MP which is really annoying since I've really pumped a lot of points into focus. It's currently enough with the occasional potion but I would prefer it to be more self-sustaining.

It's so far working surprisely well for something I had no idea what I was doing. I've died a few times mostly because I've ran out of health potions or just incompetence. The game is on the Elite (I believe) since I remember the first Torchlight being way to easy on normal but the "build" seems to be holding together.

How can you not love this face?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:41:55 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 25, 2012, 12:08:45 pm »

Does anybody have Jannisary gloves or pants? I'm willing to pay good money for them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 25, 2012, 04:36:14 pm »

Just for future reference Catastrophic: The Embermage does indeed have a teleport skill. It also deals ice damage and has decent knockback. IIRC the Outsider(?) has a similar sort of skill that heals instead of dealing with nearby enemies.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 25, 2012, 07:01:01 pm »

He actually has two teleportation powers. One teleports himself, the other teleports enemies when they mele you. The latter also stuns them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 25, 2012, 08:23:31 pm »

I haven't run that one very far; does it ever hit 100%? I would assume not, as that'd be absurdly overpowered, even more so than most skills. That was my main concern: the only things I need to worry about are things that I really don't want to take even one hit from, bosses and the like. I'm also not certain if it can actually affect bosses; I've never seen it happen in my own experience. It's nice for single mobs, but at times I honestly sort of regret it when I've got a whole crowd of mobs coming at me from a relatively small arc and it teleports one behind me, forcing me to break the freeze-lock on the main swarm if I don't want it bashing my skull in.

IDK, it just feels to me like the ice-port is more consistently reliable and is lower-risk when dealing with powerful enemies.

3. Run Resize Enable

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 25, 2012, 08:57:53 pm »

I think it does eventually reach 100. I know it's at 60% for me, but small mobs rarely get close enough to me for it to happen.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 25, 2012, 11:19:57 pm »

On second thought, 100% really wouldn't be very broken, considering that (as you said), the only things that can get close enough are generally going to take more than half your health if they hit you at all. :|

3. Run Resize Enable

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 26, 2012, 03:53:02 am »

So last night I did some calculations based on high level end game and streamlining builds for NG+, where mobs get up to level 125. Anyone particularly interested in knowing more and possibly ruining the fun of the game for themselves?

Edit: It's basically a ton of info useful for meta gaming.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:55:11 am by KaelGotDwarves »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 28, 2012, 04:05:39 am »

I've been looking forward to TL2... ever since I decided I won't be buying D3.

Currently I'm glued to Borderlands 2, but I've visited the official forums for data about the quality of the game.

So far I've found these cons:
- Tiny stash compared to the amount of item you'd love to save, resulting in a lot of time wasted in doing inventory management among mule characters.
- Officially no full respec, only the last 3 points, which is too late too little for testing high tier skills. You have to enable console to spawn a respecpotion as a workaround, and need to do this on another character if you want to avoid the cheater flag. Very little information about the mechanics and algorithms so a full respec is likely needed if you don't want to waste time to re-level new characters.
- Targeting hit box is not very well implemented; you may find your character still fighting when you are trying to run away, because you clicked on a big creature's hit box.
- Boss fights tend to put you into small areas, and the boss will summon hard hitting minions all around you. This means it's very annoying to play glass cannon types.

Other than the above, it's all good and is the new ARPG people are longing for?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:07:31 am by kcwong »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #279 on: September 28, 2012, 04:52:07 am »

I've certainly been enjoying myself. It's also possible they'll be tweaking damage values to make glass cannon types a little easier to use in the future, but I'd imagine they'll be ironing out bugs first, obviously.

One thing I've noticed too, is that while all the classes are perfectly fun to play as (I've actually enjoyed playing a ranger for once, for instance), the engineer just in general seems to have a lot more neat stuff to mess with. Although that may just be my engineer bias showing. 

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 28, 2012, 05:47:11 am »

Aww.... just lost my hardcore elite berserker to the Grand Regent at the end of Act 1.  I had him down to about 1/4 of his health, and thought I was going to win... but he one-shot me with some kind of giant explosion under my feet.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 28, 2012, 07:19:18 am »

Ah yes, that attack. Once did 1 800 damage to me... when my max health was 1 600.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 28, 2012, 07:20:57 am »

I found the best easter egg. The best.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 28, 2012, 08:30:41 am »

I found the best easter egg. The best.

Wheeeeere?!
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 28, 2012, 08:48:01 am »

I remember reading it only appears somewhere in the world 1/4 of the time when the world is generated. I'd love more details because that is really amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21