Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: Torchlight 2  (Read 74233 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Torchlight 2
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2012, 01:41:42 am »

I've enjoyed being a ranged glass cannon Outlander, myself.  Although, when I encounter boss fights I end up spamming Glaive and taking a pot shot or two at the boss when I can.  Alright I think I agree, this game is not friendly when it comes to squishy ranged characters.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 24, 2012, 02:09:20 am »

I'm enjoying the game on my Outlander as well, just not on boss fights, as a third to a half of them have similar problems to what I said above (aka some mechanic designed to completely and utterly screw me and my playstyle) and all the rest feel rather same-y as the fights tend to all end up being avoid the dozen other guys in the arena while taking glaive potshots at the boss. There's a bunch of really, really cool bosses in the game but I don't get the chance to pay attention to them amongst all the minions!  :(

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2012, 02:11:21 am »

The armor you get also seem to be attempting to discourage you to make a glass canon, as they all seem to require multiple stats to wear.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2012, 04:58:50 am »

I believe they've tried quite hard to make all stats very useful to all classes. As an Engineer my main stats are Vitality and Strength really only because I need those two for armour sometimes. Next highest is Focus since my spells and some abilities use Fire and Electrical, but I also need Dexterity for the critical chance and lower fumble rate.

It's kind of odd. Strength effects all weapons, even ranged I believe, where as ranged has been the domain of dexterity/agility.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 24, 2012, 08:21:50 am »

Torchlight II is the first game in a while that frequently frustrates me to the point where I'll just quit.

I really like the game, but I find the movement controls frustratingly terribad. It's fine most of the game, but trying to kite large swarms of enemies is maddening. It seems there is some sort of auto target so that when you click near an enemy you will attack them which makes trying to navigate a small space with a lot of enemies next to impossible. The default control layout is pretty fail too. Maybe it's just my keyboard but I have to do some crazy assed hand yoga to be able to push all the buttons I want to in a fight.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 24, 2012, 08:27:44 am »

Is anyone else frustrated with the way ranged weapons actually have ranges, and short ones at that. Bugs me that shift and click to shoot at something doesn't work as it was just a little bit too far away.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 24, 2012, 08:31:49 am »

Yeah, that is slightly annoying. Thankfully the Outlander has a passive skill to increase that, and it's only the basic attack that has a limited range anyway. Any kind of skill-based special attack doesn't have a range limit.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 24, 2012, 09:16:03 am »

A few of the Embermage spells have range limits, most noticeably the fireball spell you start with. Not sure about the other classes.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 24, 2012, 09:34:22 am »

Just posting here to say that I'm open to any multiplayer invites. My steam name is Leonthekiller (Not sure, there may be spaces or _'s) and my name in torchlight is Johnfalcon. Currently playing STR/DEX focused Outlander. Chances are that if I'm online I'm open to MP.

Is anyone else frustrated with the way ranged weapons actually have ranges, and short ones at that. Bugs me that shift and click to shoot at something doesn't work as it was just a little bit too far away.
Rapid Fire skill bro. Tier 2 if that skill has quite some range and you don't need to target a specific person to use it. It's a real spray and pray skill, which has it's benefits.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:38:42 am by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #249 on: September 24, 2012, 09:41:22 am »

I really hate that you can't do a full respec... at least I don't see a way.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 24, 2012, 10:12:07 am »

I really hate that you can't do a full respec... at least I don't see a way.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=35347

Looks like you can spawn a potion of respec using the console commands, which will also flag your character as cheated. Although it also looks like you can trade 'cheated' items to a non-cheated character without being flagged, which pretty much makes the flagging pointless.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 24, 2012, 10:36:25 am »

Another spell that has a very small range, quite annoyingly, is the facemeltybeamofdeath (as yahtzee calls it) which is especially bad because it has knockback.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 24, 2012, 03:30:12 pm »

The more I play elite, the more I think that Runic hates glass cannon ranged and loves tanky brawlers.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 24, 2012, 04:45:35 pm »

But the cool thing is that some modder is sure to notice the same thing and do something about it.  We're not stuck with Runic's approach to balance.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Omegameep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 24, 2012, 05:32:02 pm »

Is there any proper tanky builds for berserkers anywhere? Cause I seem to be dying an awful lot in elite due to enemies with knockbacks, especially in act 2.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21