Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: Torchlight 2  (Read 74260 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Torchlight 2
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2012, 01:21:06 pm »

I have an engineer on Veteran and a berserker on Elite. COME AT ME.

Here's my thoughts so far...

This is great. Having a blast and major throwbacks to Diablo2, moreso than Diablo3. The Diablo3 comparisons are bound to happen but I will reserve judgement until I get further in the game. The drops and even items you can buy are fantastic, with rares in stores. Overall, looks like it's totally worth $20 and the wait.

PS - MULTIPLAYER IS UP, ALONG WITH RUNIC SIGN-UP

Once again, may I invite you to join http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DFCTorchlight2 for soon to be organised bay12/DFC multiplayer games.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2012, 02:11:49 pm »

Can you invite me? Steam is being weird and not letting me find the group. My steam username is The Fool [B12].

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2012, 02:17:30 pm »

PS - MULTIPLAYER IS UP, ALONG WITH RUNIC SIGN-UP
Woo!

On another note, I'm really liking the balance on Veteran thusfar. It's dangerous enough that I've been flattened in two seconds a few times (mostly when I just ran blindly into a new area), but not so much that I need to kite everything; bosses typically end with me kiting and ice-porting around while I call down AOE and spam bolts, but I can still stand and nuke hordes of weaker enemies if I have a good choke and make sure to drop my ice shards and thunder blob for the stun and extra hits.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 21, 2012, 02:56:50 pm »

Yeah, looks like Veteran is actually Normal, Normal is Casual, and Casual is Toddler.
Supposedly there's also a new game plus mode (there's an achievement related to that). I'm wondering what that's like.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 21, 2012, 05:38:49 pm »

I'm playing Elite Hardcore, and I find it perfectly balanced for me.

I have plenty of close calls, but there are enough panic survival mechanisms that if I ever die, I'll know it was because I screwed up... not because I ran into something that had the raw numbers to insta-gib me and there was nothing I could do.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 21, 2012, 05:42:57 pm »

Multiplayer seems to play significantly different from single.  It becomes trickier with two players than with one, and bosses on normal are tough!

I wanna get a 6 player dungeon romp going.  Volunteering for the buffing engineer role!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 21, 2012, 05:46:48 pm »

I'm playing Elite Hardcore, and I find it perfectly balanced for me.

I have plenty of close calls, but there are enough panic survival mechanisms that if I ever die, I'll know it was because I screwed up... not because I ran into something that had the raw numbers to insta-gib me and there was nothing I could do.

I'm playing on Veteran and I'm finding the exact opposite. Every single Diablo-style game ever since Diablo 1 suffers from the same problem, there's just so much shit on the screen in the form of spell effects and such that I can't see what's going on and whether or not I'm about to be hit by something. And when I see my health globe draining rapidly and try to run away, the game interprets my click to mean that I want to attack an enemy or break a barrel that's nowhere near the spot that I clicked. And then I die.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2012, 06:03:46 pm »

I wanna get a 6 player dungeon romp going.  Volunteering for the buffing engineer role!
I'd join. Volunteering for cannon-specced engineer.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2012, 06:06:53 pm »

And when I see my health globe draining rapidly and try to run away, the game interprets my click to mean that I want to attack an enemy or break a barrel that's nowhere near the spot that I clicked. And then I die.

That's actually something I've noticed too, and considering I never ever had that problem in the first TL it may be a bug. Curious.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2012, 06:37:29 pm »

If its like other ARPG holding CTR while clicking force a move command intead of attack.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 21, 2012, 06:50:01 pm »

I'm up for some MP later on as well.

But yeah, I've had a few close calls from the game not registering M1 being held down, or interpreting move-clicks as attacks. Nothing major though; all of my deaths have been from screwups.

I managed to kill the final boss in the main desert dungeon without ever dropping below 1/3 health despite him being a grappler, it being a CQC-style arena with a lot of minions, and me being a squishy caster. The only point where I was ever really desperate I just kept popping mana pots and teleporting around in a circle until my HP was a bit higher. That was on veteran, so I imagine Elite would probably be tricky enough that I could die if I wasn't careful. Which isn't really too bad, considering that a lot of new games these days have their normal difficulty mislabeled as "ULTRA SUPER HARDCORE DEATH MODE".

I've done a bit of MP with random people, and from what I can tell the main difficulty is when you're playing with 2-3 other casters because you might not see something dangerous through the haze of fire columns, ice spikes, and dozens of multicolored bolts. That might be misinformation, though, because I think I accidentally joined a "normal" game at some point.

On another note, I've got a spell scroll setup that I like quite a bit: a passive armor buff, healing (duh), and summoned skeletons of melee and ranged varieties. The melee skeleton has a long enough life that I can get 3-4 into play at the same time, and with the archers and thunder locus (thingy) I can drag bosses back and forth through a net of secondary damage.

Oh yeah, and I transmuted a blood gem chip that gives +15 hp regen per second. For a cowardly kiter like me, heh. :3

I actually sort of like how you can't combine ember any more; the transmutation makes it quite a bit more interesting.

3. Run Resize Enable

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2012, 09:19:22 pm »

So I've played around with the demo a bit, and it seems to be a very enjoyable game. I was rolling with an Outlander, just looking at the skill trees, and it seemed to be a good time. Anyone care to share any further insights into the game with me? I'm on the fence, wanting to buy, but just bought another game (albeit from GOG), so feeling a bit reluctant about it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2012, 09:31:05 pm »

Torchlight is like Terraria.  You'll play it for 3 hours straight, for about 4 days, then you'll stop.  Then a month later your friend will be like "I'm bored.  Hey, wanna play TL2?" and you'll have a blast with it for another several hours.

Rather reminds me of old N64 games.  You think "eh, I don't wanna play that again" but then you end up playing it and loving it anyways.  Excellent for "I'm bored, but I know I can enjoy some time with this."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2012, 09:39:22 pm »

Yeah, it's a game where you play through a time or two and then go back to on occasion, rather than a game that'll always be fresh (mainly those with competitive multiplayer). For $20, though, it's more than worth it. I'll probably end up logging 80+ hours just in my initial excitement-rush. It appears to have a bit more depth/replayability than the first as well, so I'm going to be more likely to start multiple characters just to explore the different builds. The semirandomized dungeons are really helping with that; I went into a MP game earlier and half the important locations in an area were in completely different spots. S'the little things.

3. Run Resize Enable

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 21, 2012, 10:08:53 pm »

And when I see my health globe draining rapidly and try to run away, the game interprets my click to mean that I want to attack an enemy or break a barrel that's nowhere near the spot that I clicked. And then I die.

That's actually something I've noticed too, and considering I never ever had that problem in the first TL it may be a bug. Curious.

The first Torchlight was about as easy as brushing your teeth though, between the redundant Health Potions and pet(s) who would go soak up damage for you.  I legitimately can't remember one time where I even needed to use the potions... they all just became vendor trash.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21