Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: Torchlight 2  (Read 74280 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Torchlight 2
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2012, 07:21:07 am »

Yeah, pathfinding is perfectly fine.

Excellent, I may now have to allow myself to get dragged back into it.  :)

...after I finish getting blown up in FTL.  And shot to pieces in Gangsters.  And killed by worms in SMAC.  Damn you, games collection that is expanding faster than I can play it!
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2012, 08:16:32 am »

Do you need a bunch of friends that game to enjoy this one? I'm interested in this, but most of my friends can rarely get online or game at different times than I do. Is it much better with multiplayer?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2012, 08:38:24 am »

It's better with multiplayer (like most things), but works perfectly fine as a SP game.

I'm currently a L19 embermage using an ice/electric combo. The ice shard storm followed by thunderstorm and prismatic/ice/shock bolt spam, backed by the ice and shock runes. Been putting a surprising number of points into vitality and dexterity to be less squishy and to get more crits, respectively. Probably because I found some armor pieces that give me pretty good mana regen, plus the ember charge thing. So anything I can't nuke through with my mana pool usually triggers the charge. Though I do tend to try and pull bosses away from their minions and use the whole level to kite whenever possible. Unfortunately I forgot to respec the initial magma spell, so that's a skillpoint lost. :|

Probably going to start looking for MP this weekend.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2012, 08:49:27 am »

I'm going to say it'll take at most 2 weeks before the first full respec mod comes out.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2012, 09:00:16 am »

I'm going to say it'll take at most 2 weeks before the first full respec mod comes out.

Did they still not support respec from the outset? Despite it being the most demanded thing in, and one of the first mods for, the original. Seems a bit of an oversight if you ask me.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2012, 09:01:28 am »

Did they still not support respec from the outset? Despite it being the most demanded thing in, and one of the first mods for, the original. Seems a bit of an oversight if you ask me.

Oh, they support respec. Just only of the last three skill points  ::) I realize the intention here, but I don't have all the time in the world to replay the same class with different skills.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2012, 09:05:56 am »

Oh, they support respec. Just only of the last three skill points  ::) I realize the intention here, but I don't have all the time in the world to replay the same class with different skills.

Yeah, the idea is that you can't just swap skills willy nilly, but you can try a skill to see if you like it. The problem with that reasoning is that it may only become apparent later in the game that a skill that initially seemed awesome is actually useless. So yeah, looking forward to that full respec mod as well.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2012, 09:07:40 am »

Yeah, the idea is that you can't just swap skills willy nilly, but you can try a skill to see if you like it. The problem with that reasoning is that it may only become apparent later in the game that a skill that initially seemed awesome is actually useless. So yeah, looking forward to that full respec mod as well.

Yer, being able to try a skill is good but you also need to be able to switch out to later, and generally more powerful stuff. Otherwise if feels as if you have wasted points, which leads to the whole saving up annoyance to get the 'best' characters.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2012, 10:07:21 am »

Yeah it depends on your philosophy of how the game should be designed. The older way (because there was no other way back in the day) of designing your character relies on the dynamics of building for early-game power, late-game power, or being decent through out and having tradeoffs built into a character build. The newer way of full build respecs means that skills have to remain useful throughout the game (or have some really awesome flavor, I guess) or else they get picked up for part of it and respecced away. I'm not sure which way I fall on the issue, but it seems like they're doing a pretty good job of making skills stay useful by having them scale with your level AND the number of skill points invested, so I'm not too worried about having to respec.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2012, 10:17:09 am »

I mean, I can see what they were trying to do, but most people just plain don't have the time to level up a dozen characters just to see what everything can do at higher levels, much less because they made a mistake early in their build. A more reasonable way might have been to give each character a limited number of respecs, so you could respec, say, 60 skill points in the entire life of your character, maybe paired with the existing bit about paying to respec the last three taken. That'd take care of both mistakes and give people a way to do a partial respec.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2012, 10:41:36 am »

Yer, being able to try a skill is good but you also need to be able to switch out to later, and generally more powerful stuff. Otherwise if feels as if you have wasted points, which leads to the whole saving up annoyance to get the 'best' characters.

Yeah. Looking at the Engineer skill tree, from the description it seems like the last skill, Emberquake, is just a better version of the initial skill you start with.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2012, 11:10:56 am »

I dump almost all of my skill points into the various passives and it has made me quite powerful. I only have points in one active skill.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2012, 11:18:59 am »

I wish I could respec just so I could swap out the first Ice Embermage active (ice bolts) for something else. All my other points are passive, like Hemmingjay. Oh well, might as well put all 15 points into it so I can upgrade.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2012, 12:07:08 pm »

As an engineer, I find the healbot quite invaluable. Given how slow you regen health.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2012, 12:59:40 pm »

I am using the glaive and 2 poison passives plus weapons with poison mods and things die nicely for me with two pistols. 8)
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21