Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: Torchlight 2  (Read 74234 times)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: Torchlight 2
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 05:48:51 pm »

Also if you Pre-Purchase it you get the first one. so two games 20 bucks not to bad
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 05:49:44 pm »

(with Steam Workshop support IIRC)
God, I hope so. That thing is slick.
However, last I checked, the game isn't going to be a Steam exclusive, even though the preorders currently are, so I'm not too sure.
I didn't know this game would support mods.
It's not like it's one of their selling points or anything...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 08:11:56 pm »

I didn't know this game would support mods.

It's not like it's one of their selling points or anything...

Thirty-two posts into the thread, we finally get a link.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 08:27:38 pm »

Really interested in this, I want to play the first one first though. I'll probably get it if it gets a sale on steam (like 75 or 80%)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 09:39:07 pm »

Really interested in this, I want to play the first one first though. I'll probably get it if it gets a sale on steam (like 75 or 80%)
Preorder this one and you get the original for free.
Win-win, considering the original is IMO worth the $20 on its own.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 09:44:54 pm »

Ok I'll go ahead and post some informative stuff about Torchlight 2, since nobody's asking specific questions, but a couple have commented on the lack of information.  Also, playing the first game isn't good enough in my opinion, because the gameplay was very basic and content was very shallow, in comparison to the sequel.

Graphics
---------- 

I personally love them.  I'm not usually a fan of cartoony styles, but they execute it so well that it doesn't bother me.  The animations are expressive, smooth, and varied.  The color compositions are very pleasant to look at.  The amount of detail in the textures is balanced just right, so that it doesn't look too cluttered or overly simple.

As compared to Diablo 3:  I felt like Diablo 3's graphics were actually pretty bad.  The style was almost as cartoony as Torchlight 2, except it tried to pass itself off as not so by abusing the hell out of heavy-handed atmospheric post-processing effects.  Your character seemed to be exempt from most of these effects, making them appear sorely out of place.  For the production value Blizzard should have been able to produce, I was incredibly disappointed.

As compared to Path of Exile:  PoE has the most sophisticated graphics, with the most dark and gritty style and the most detail.  I like its style the best, but it is also the least polished.  It definitely has the feel of a work in progress.  I expect it to get much better.  Right now many of the shaders can use a lot of tweaking, and they're just beginning to incorporate some atmospheric post-processing effects.  The finished game will probably look more impressive than D3 or Torchlight 2.

Audio
----------

To be honest, I'm not much of an audio guy.  I typically turn game music off and I only pay attention to sound effects so much as they act as cues to what is happening.

Story
----------

Similarly, I have never played an ARPG where the story was worth paying attention to.  These games aren't known for their literary feats.  There's monsters around causing trouble for people.  Go kill them.  They've taken things from people.  Retrieve the things.  There's some important people in danger.  Protect/rescue them.  There's some ultimate big bad monster behind the whole thing.  Hunt him down.  Path of Exile is the only one that comes out ahead in this area, since you start out the game washing up on an island beach after being exiled as a criminal.  At first, you're just fighting to survive, and it doesn't even begin to hint at a larger story until the end of Act 2, which is all that most people have access to at this point in the beta.

Gameplay
----------

Potions -- Each game has its own take on this mechanic, and it has significant effects on gameplay.

Diablo 3:  Holds your hand.  Monsters frequently drop health recovery things that prevent you from having to use potions at all.  There are no mana/hatred/discipline/whatever your spell-casting resource is potions.  You naturally recover that stuff so fast, that you can spam pretty colors all over the screen all day, even at level 1.  I honestly don't even understand why they left mana in the game, because they trivialized its expenditure so damn much.  At least, this was my impression.  Then there's health potions, in case you were still having trouble staying alive.

Torchlight 2:  Takes the classic approach to potions.  They drop fairly frequently, and you use them fairly frequently.  There aren't many sustainability mechanics in the game.  I've played up to level 20-something, and found that lifesteal is incredibly rare.  There is no natural health regeneration on any character, and I have not found any items with a health regen enchantment.  The berserker has some lifesteal abilities, but they are active types and very meager at early levels (like pay 1/10 of your mana to hit something once for less than your basic attack damage and regain 5% of your health).  The engineer can summon a healing bot that follows him around and emits a substantial healing aura.  Mana is a little more forgiving.  It does regenerate on its own at a substantial rate.  In fights against large mobs or champion/boss monsters, you will be consuming mana potions.  Against normal mobs, you can typically drop a couple spells to obliterate them, and have that mana back before the next one.

Path of Exile:  I like PoE's approach the best.  Instead of potions, you get flasks.  Flasks are items that are placed in equipment slots, just like weapons or armor or whatever.  Instead of consuming them permanently, you spend charges that flasks accumulate as you kill monsters.  This system has three advantages.  First, it gives the developers a much greater control over balancing the pace of the game.  Second, flasks can be enchanted like any other piece of equipment.  These enchantments can be boosts to the HP/Mana gain, or can do other interesting things like removing status effects or giving you various temporary boosts when you consume them.  Third, this offers you more choices for character building.  Does your character need more health or mana?  Do you use the flask that recovers a ridiculous amount of health or the one that gives you a temporary speed boost?  Or maybe you want one that recovers a very small amount, but triggers automatically when your health falls below a certain threshold, saving your ass in a sudden emergency?

Combat/Character Building/Pacing/Difficulty

Diablo 3:  I admit I didn't play for that long... but it felt like a spam fest.  This is actually the main reason I couldn't stand it, and quit so early.  There was no resource management. No tough decisions.  No strategy.  Just spam pretty colors all over the screen and watch stuff die.  Every ability seemed to be some variation of pretty color spam, without any substantial reason to ever choose one over another.  I also absolutely hated the restrictions on equipment usage between classes.  It drove me insane that I couldn't equip anything but a bow on my demon hunter.  Improvisation early game is one of the most interesting things in this genre, in my opinion.  I loved starting new characters in Diablo 2, because I'd always end up doing really wierd stuff early game based on what rare equipment I found that didn't match my class when I hadn't built up enough class specialization for it to matter. 

Now that the game is released, I'm seeing testimony that the game does get more difficult and interesting.  It seems to me that Blizzard just fucked this up big time.  They let people play that open beta weekend, but only gave access to the least interesting content, which gave a lot of people the wrong impression and chased them away.  I only learned yesterday that you ever actually get any real choices when you level up, but it takes a couple hours of gameplay to get there.  The first several levels, everything is selected for you.  Attributes are assigned for you throughout the entire game.  So after a bunch of reading and talking with friends who own the game, I only see two ways that you can customize your character in Diablo 3.  Your abilities are mostly chosen for you, but you get to customize them rather extensively.  I'm not sure just how much impact your choices here actually have on how you play the game, but my impression is not very much.  I'm pretty damn sure it's all style and no substance, since everything is tied to your weapon damage anyway.  Then there is equipment, where your choices are severely restricted according to your class.  Yeah...

And you know... I've seen a ton of debate recently on the topic of character customization.  There's a very large camp that says choices are illusory anyway, because people will always crunch the numbers and produce mathematically perfected character builds.  You then have to follow those builds or you're a worthless noobish scrub, whose character will eventually fail and have to be re-made.  I understand this argument, but I really don't care.  Without experimentation and risk of failure, you're not so much playing a game as you are following directions.  I don't understand what kind of enjoyment or satisfaction people get from this.  I really don't.  I enjoy coming up with my own non-standard styles of play.  I don't care if that means I can't PvP with the best or solo act 5 inferno.  The added difficulty and uncertainty in how far I will be able to go is what makes it fun.  There's no such thing as winning when there is no chance of failure (this is why I play hardcore).  Instead of presenting a ton of options and letting the community produce the cookie cutter builds, Blizzard decided they would pre-empt this by restricting everything so that the player is not even allowed to deviate from what the cookie cutters would have produced.  This is not what I call a solution, it's a resignation.  NOT the way to go in my opinion.

So... moving on...

Path of Exile:  I've played through the entire PoE beta, up to halfway through the second difficulty level on hardcore mode.  It's substantially more difficult than Diablo 3, but still fairly easy.  I have died a few times, but never unexpectedly.  I have yet to lose a hardcore character.  Nothing is really hard-hitting enough to surprise.  Bosses don't feel like unique events.  They're just slightly tougher monsters.  For all the things I like about Path of Exile, I have to admit that the gameplay is very dry.  You do have to be careful.  The game doesn't hold your hand like Diablo 3 does.  But so long as you are careful, there isn't that much challenge.  Supposedly, the highest difficulties get ridiculous, though, so I don't know.  The pacing is also kind of annoying.  You will be making constant town trips.

But... the shining core of PoE... the character building.  This game has by far the most versatile and complex character building I've seen in an ARPG.  First, it is a class-based game... but not rigidly so.  The whole thing is based on a "Passive Skill Tree" which you can view here.  If you've played FF10, it's much like the giant node map that you leveled up with there... except much larger and more varied.  Your choice of class has only two impacts on gameplay -- your starting attributes and your starting point on that passive skill tree.  This makes it easier to build towards stuff related to your class, but not prohibitive for you to deviate into something entirely different.  There are also no active abilities on the passive skill tree.  They only effect the "feel" of your character.  This is where you buy your attributes, which typically make up the paths between major nodes that substantially change the nature of your character.  Many of the major nodes are really interesting, such as dropping your HP to 1, but raising your energy shield by 80%.  Or you can turn all of your energy shield into mana.  Or you can do both, and have a 1 hp character with shitloads of mana.  My impression is that no character can possibly cover even 1/5 of that map, so it's really easy to make every character unique. 

Everything else, including active abilities, is based on equipment.  What you can equip is restricted only by your attributes, and the passive skill tree is designed to give you plenty of opportunities to put points in every attribute, no matter where you are on the map.  So you're offered tons of freedom of choice, without being able to do everything at once.  Your active abilities are gained via gems, which you are granted a handful to choose between as a reward for most quests, but are also rarely dropped by monsters.  These gems are socketed into equipment, but not permanently.  You can move them about freely between all of your socketed stuff, or just place them back in your inventory.  So sockets on equipment is really important.  You will often find yourself agonizing over some item with really awesome stats, but none of the sockets you need.  Sockets can also be linked between each other, giving you the option to add support gems that augment your active abilities with extra features.  Each of these gems starts at level 1 and gains experience proportional to your character.  At every level, the attribute requirements to use that gem go up... so your tanky melee marauder has the ability to equip elemental nukes, but he simply won't be able to level them up very far.

There are several more interesting aspects to character building in PoE.  The number of significant variables that define your character is astounding.  I think I've covered enough of the basics that you can compare to...

Torchlight 2:  First, I'll cover character building, which is Torchlight's weakest gameplay aspect... but it's not that weak.  It's certainly still way beyond Diablo 3.  It's very straightforward, even if there are a lot of really clever touches to it.  When you level up, you place 5 attribute points.  The attributes are very standard and mostly do exactly what you'd expect.  The two most interesting things are fumble and execute, which I can explain if anybody wants.  Attributes are also, of course, the limiter on what stuff you can equip.  This is where they have another clever mechanic, though.  Equipment is limited by level and/or attribute.  What this means is that everybody gets access to an item at a certain level, but they can get access to it sooner if they specialize in the right attribute.  It's a small touch that goes a long way.  You also get one point to place in abilities.  It's also worth noting that your character has more total equipment slots than in any of the other arpgs (12 total, if counted correctly off the top of my head).  There's a wide range of abilities to choose from, granting access to very different playstyles.  The choices here are really difficult, because it encourages very heavy specialization.  I find myself putting all of my points into only 3 or 4 abilities with each character, out of the 20-something you unlock by level 14.

There's also spells, that are separate from the character abilities that you choose at level up.  You 'learn' them by equipping them, but unequipping the spell destroys it, and you only have 6 slots for them.  There's no limitations on who can use what spells, and they're quite varied, from healing to blasting to passive buffs.  Pets can also equip and use spells, which is really awesome.

Pets in general are really awesome.  They're well-balanced to actually make a difference without being able to carry a fight for you.  The absolute best thing about them is that you can send them back to town to sell loot and buy potions/scrolls for you.  This does so much to prevent tedious breaks in the pace of the game.  I seriously appreciate this feature so very much.

Everything else about the gameplay is far beyond the other two games.  The combat is easily the most fun out of all of them.  Resource management is balanced just right so that you can nuke through minor nuisance monsters, but have to find more sustainable approaches to other encounters.  I make sure to always have a ranged attack on every character for this reason (and you are allowed two weapon sets that you can switch between with 'w'), because you very often encounter monsters that you simply cannot stand toe to toe with without guzzling all your potions, even as a melee-centric character.  The monsters are very well balanced, so that you often fight several types at once, and each type requires different tactics. 

Besides the interesting variety of monsters, combat itself is very dynamic, because all attacks (except claw attacks) apply damage to an area instead of directly to an enemy.  This brings an interesting balance to what weapons you choose to use.  Atypical of the genre, big two-handed weapons don't do as much damage as one-handed weapons.  Instead, they attack in bigger arcs, and hit more monsters.  Your attack is focused on the creature you click on and that creature takes the most damage, but everything that gets touched by your weapon in the attack animation is effected.  Ranged weapons also make use of this mechanic, with bows and pistols being single-target, but shotguns and cannons targeting a cone.  This heavily factors into your tactics.  This stuff also applies to monster attacks, making mobility a huge advantage.  If you can dodge out of a big monster's attack, you wont take damage from it.  There are mobility spells in the game that further allow you to take advantage of this - not as many as I'd like, but they're there.  It puts a lot more "Action" in "Action RPG".  There are many nice little touches to the whole combat system that I'd like to mention, but this is already TLDR.

I'd also like to mention bosses.  They actually feel very special.  They are truly noteworthy events.  They have huge amounts of HP.  I've had a couple fights last more than 20 minutes, when I was playing a tanky character without much damage.  On one occasion, I even had to send my pet back to town in the middle of a boss fight to buy potions for me.  It's also nice that none of the bosses I've encountered have any regeneration, so that as long as you can stay alive, you will eventually win the fight.  Their damage is very well-balanced so that you can melee with them for short periods of time and there's very little threat of being insta-gibbed, but there's no way you can win the whole fight that way.  The real threat is the hordes of minions that bosses are constantly summoning.  You have to regularly divert your attention away from damaging the boss to attend to all the minions and always keep moving, or you will be quickly overwhelmed.  A combination of AOE minion control and focused damage techniques are necessary, and it's these moments where multiplayer teamwork really shines.

Overall, I'm very happy with the difficulty.  They give you four difficulty options right away.  I'm always playing the highest difficulty in hardcore mode.  I've lost several characters, without having encountered anything that frustrated or annoyed me.  It was always my mistake.  After you beat the game, there's supposed to be a "New Game +" mode, but I have no idea what that will actually entail.

Other Stuff
-------------

The fact that Torchlight 2 is actively supporting its mod community is huge.  I don't think Path of Exile will see any modding, because it's being designed like an MMO with "instances".  Modding the game would require private servers.  Blizzard has made modding illegal by the terms of their EULA.  Then Runic goes and releases a full set of tools for their game.  Torchlight 1's mod community was decent.  There's a few total overhauls, dozens of classes, and hundreds of items and various tweaks to toy with.  I expect a lot more from Torchlight 2.

Then there's price.  Path of Exile is really good for a free-to-play game, but Torchlight 2 has an incredible amount of content and polish for its price (enhanced infinitely by mod support), especially as compared to Diablo 3.

Edit:  And... of course... Torchlight 2 is the only game out of the three competitors that does not require a constant internet connection, which is a criteria that I think more people properly appreciate after this weekend.   ::)

I'm going to go ahead and stop myself there.  I can't believe I wrote all this.  I wrote this at work over a stretch of 6 hours with lots of interruptions, so I hope this came out somewhat coherent and informative.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:53:45 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:14 pm »

Yeah I'm differently looking forward to this my roommate in the beta but i was to slow  :'(
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 01:45:17 am »

Was just killed by General Grell again, after an intense 15 minute struggle.  Damn is that a good boss fight.  Once again, it was my fault.  Took that very dodge-able cannon blast point-blank to the face, when I was down a good chunk of health.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 05:29:18 am »

I am also looking forward to TL2 and PoE, but Salmongod, you bashed Diablo 3 without really playing it. The beta was not a very good representation of the game.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 05:46:52 am »

I acknowledged the points on which I was under-informed, and discussed the information I had about parts of the game that I hadn't played.

And the beta was a good representation.  It was the first couple hours of the game, almost exactly identical to final release.  If you mean it's not representative of the rest of the game, because it opens up past that point... well, like I said, that was just pure stupidity on Blizzard's part.  They gave people a chance to preview their game, but only allowed them to preview the most uninteresting part that gave people the impression that the game gave you zero character flexibility or challenge.  Maybe they should have put some thought into what kind of impression they would be giving people.  Besides, there are plenty of legitimate complaints to be made outside of the beta experience, and I made them.  I bashed it on every front.  If you disagree with one, there are plenty of others to choose from.  Yeah, I'm pretty vehemently opposed to Diablo 3 and Blizzard in general at this point.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 07:27:30 am »

I never played the first game and am not really into the genre as a whole, though I did play D2 back in the day. Some friends are interested in maybe going co-op with it, so I signed up at the Runic site just to see if I'd get a beta key. Yep. It was a pretty good experience, for a non-fan of the genre. The art style is very cartoonish but still bearable (and I prefer some color to "look at how grimmedarque I am!" anyway). The story is paper-thin at best and basically assumes you know the first game because there's next to no explanation for anything. Characterization is non-existent as well. Yes, I know it's just a hack'n'slash but D2 did manage to put some story/characterization over its hackfest gameplay.

The bread and butter of TL2, the combat, was fun. On Normal, I felt pretty powerful but not so much that I didn't have to be careful. TL2 has some nice touches like a shared stash and sending the pet to sell junk and bring back consumables that I really like. Less time wasted on trucking back to town, more time making stuff explode into chunks and goo. The fact that each class has a "charge bar" that gives them a strong unique buff for a short while after filling up (the Berserker always crits, the Embermage can cast spells without using mana) is good, too.

What I didn't like was the skill system, there's just very little return for investing more than one point into most (active) skills because the improvements are barely noticeable and don't keep pace with the increased cost. Also, I wasn't keen on the bossfights. Almost every boss spams adds like it's going out of style. That is boring and uncreative, and as a Berserker it was tedious because between having to constantly run away from the boss' killer moves and dealing with the adds, there was little time to actually get some hits in. Meanwhile, the mage can just plonk some ranged AoE down and cackle maniacally. As a melee-lover, I'm always a bit peeved when melee classes have a noticeably harder time or need to adopt a different playstyle on a bossfight while ranged can carry on as usual. When I pick a melee class, I want to melee, not kite and hit-and-run like a squishy staff-twirler. Gonna try an Engineer next and see if I can make her buff enough to actually take a beating from a boss.

I'll likely buy this when it ships, anyway. Hopefully they can still tweak some rough edges till then.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 07:34:21 am »

I've also noticed that ranged characters have an easier time fighting bosses, but the trade-off is that they take forever.  Melee does far more damage, even with hit & run tactics.  Regardless, it would be pretty boring if you could just run up and attack a boss like any other mob.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 11:01:57 pm »

SalmonGod, how's character customisation, if any?

Great review, BTW.

EDIT: Nevermind, just bought this. Looking forward to playing with you folks!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:36:48 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2012, 06:09:53 pm »

Torchlight 2 is having a stress test weekend.  They're not making the beta open, but they're being extra generous with key give-aways.  If you sign up on runic's website, there's a good chance you'll get in.  The event goes until Tuesday, IIRC.

As for customization -- I'll recap a bit on the stuff from my overview above, and try to add a little.

The first thing you do when you make a character is pick your class -- Embermage (elementalist spellcaster), Berserker (aggressive melee scrapper), Engineer (large weaponry, tankiness, and support), or Outlander (ranged weapons).

You then choose your face/hair appearance and your pet.  There are 8 pet types to choose from, but I'm pretty sure the differences are purely cosmetic.

The point allocation when you level up is very traditional.  For each level, you get 5 points to allocate.  There are four stats:  Strength, Dexterity, Focus, and Vitality.

Strength raises all weapon damage and crit bonus damage.
Dexterity raises crit chance, dodge chance, and reduces the penalty from fumbling.
Focus raises max mana, damage on some spells, and execute chance.
Vitality raises armor and HP.

As I mentioned before, equipment has both level and stat requirements, and specializing in a stat allows you to equip stuff associated with it before reaching that item's level requirement.  So a two-handed greatsword might have a level requirement of 14, but if you focus on building your strength, you could equip it several levels earlier.

So far my impression is also that the stats are balanced to feel like they make more of a difference than just dictating what equipment you can wear.  The offensive, defensive, and utilitarian boosts from each of them actually makes a substantial different in the feel of your character, which isn't overwhelmed by your equipment or skill choices.  So I don't think you'll see a situation like in Diablo 2 where people only allocated what was necessary to equip the highest level gear they intended for their character build, and then dumped everything else into vitality... but I can't say for sure.

You also get 1 skill point to assign per level, though I think every once in a while it gives you 2.  I haven't quite figured that out yet.  I think each class is supposed to have about 30 skills. 

They're divided up into 3 tabs, with about 10 on each.  Each tab is devoted to its own facet of the flavor of each class.  The engineer (my favorite so far), for instance, is focused on big weapons, tankiness, and support.  So he has one tab dedicated to melee weapons, another for cannons and robot summons, and another for defense.  Each tab has 3 passive skills and the rest are activatables.  Each skill can be leveled up a maximum of 15 times.

The skills are not organized into trees, like in many games.  You could put all of your points into one tab and then at level 42, start putting all of your points into only the final skill on another tab.  They're all unlocked by level, 6 to 8 at a time, on every level that is a multiple of 7.  So you unlock new skills to put points in at levels 7, 14, 21, 28, 35, and 42.

I haven't actually crunched numbers or anything, but the skills feel balanced such that none of them are bad or go obsolete, so you don't suffer from misallocation of points or "non-viable builds".

Your character has more equipment slots than in most games.  You have two hands, gloves, boots, pants, chest, shoulder, helmet, belt, two rings, and amulet.  Every type of equipment, including rings and amulets, can contain sockets for placing gems.  Equipment follows the usual trends, with there being magical, rare, set, and unique types with all the various modifier's you'd expect.  One minor touch is that you can choose at any time for your equipped helmet not to appear on your character model, in case you think it looks stupid or just want to see the customized portion of your character's appearance.

As I mentioned before, the one thing I really like is the unique balance they made between weapon types, with larger, slower, less damaging weapons also being capable of striking large groups at once.  Usually the only variables are attack speed, damage, and ability to use a shield.  While I wish there were more types of weapons, the amount of actual difference between them amounts to a great deal more actual variety than in your typical ARPG.

It really does make a huge difference, too.  Lastnight I had my first extended team play session.  Up until then, I'd never had anyone else around for more than a few minutes.  I was an engineer, and she was an outlander (the ranged class).  I told her to focus on high single-target damage, and that I would focus on keeping all the little guys off of her.  I used a nice one-handed axe and shield most of the night.  Its attack range isn't huge, but I can hit 3-4 smaller enemies at a time with it.  At one point we found a claw that raised my dps from 86 to 134, but only hit a single target.  I tried it for a while and found that I couldn't work through crowds well enough with it and got overwhelmed easier. 

Here's every type of weapon in the game
----------------------------------------------------
These all do damage to an area:

Two-Handed Swords, Axes, Maces, and Polearms
One-Handed Swords, Axes, and Maces
Cannons
Shotguns

These all do damage to single targets:

Pistols
Crossbows
Bows
Claws

Another thing I didn't mention before is the amount of thought they put into balancing dual-wielding.  I don't yet have a thorough understanding of how it works, but here's what I got from doing a little web-searching on the subject and experimenting a little in-game.  In most ARPGs, equipping two weapons is the easier way to turn yourself into a wild flurry of damage via "I do twice as many attacks and each weapon is still calculated separately".  In Torchlight 2, equipping two weapons does not improve your attack speed or add your damages together.  In fact, dual-wielding is a really bad idea if higher flat DPS is your goal.  You're better off equipping just one weapon - the best you can find.  I think the way it works is your attack speed and damage is averaged between the two weapons, but the modifiers, such as proc effects and the like, are applied to both weapons.  So the animation alternates between each hand as you attack, but each attack is really doing the same thing.  So if you have a really high damage weapon in one hand, but a really low damage weapon in the other, you are actually decreasing your overall damage output.  However, if your damage is based on some really awesome proc effect on one weapon that happens to be really slow, and you pair it with another weapon with a really fast attack speed, you could raise your average attack speed and damage via more frequent application of that proc.

There are two more neat things to dual-wielding besides the damage calculations.  It's incredibly fun to equip a melee weapon in one hand and a ranged weapon in the other.  Your character will automatically attack exclusively with the ranged weapon if your target is at range, and switch to the melee weapon in melee range.  If you have a really awesome weapon of each type, this is actually a great way to maximize your output with each one simultaneously, and feel like a badass swashbuckler while doing it.  The other thing is Execute.  I mentioned that the Focus stat increases your chances of this happening.  It just means that you perform a special dual-wield attack where you hit with both weapons simultaneously for total combined damage, without any slowdown to your attack speed.  With some effort, you can raise this fairly high.  I think both berserker and outlander have skills that can boost execute chance, on top of focus and the occassional item modifier.

Pets get three equipment slots -- a collar and two tags.  Both pets and player also get 6 spell slots.  Pets have their own mana pool, and will cast spells semi-intelligently.  Spells are found in the form of scrolls that are dropped randomly, but they seem to be the rarest kind of drop.  Lastnight I found 4 unique items and only one spell scroll.  I can't explain them very well, because I just haven't had that much opportunity to find and use many.  I've found a couple that were direct damage spells, a couple healing spells, a haste spell, and a couple that were passive buffs.  Once equipped, they cannot be unequipped without being destroyed.

And that covers all of the character customization topics I can think of.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2012, 07:33:35 pm »

I'll throw up a game called "The Bay" if you guys (and gals) are interested.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21